INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC RECORDING / TIMESHIFTING IN LOWERED REZ?  (Read 2095 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
MC RECORDING / TIMESHIFTING IN LOWERED REZ?
« on: February 18, 2022, 09:34:48 pm »

i just noticed that on some JTV timeshifts I did on a 1080 source, that the timeshifted video is playing in MC at 720.  I tried converting a bit of it off to MP4 and TS, and it verifies as 720.  Is there a setting I'm missing?

jgreen

Re: MC RECORDING / TIMESHIFTING IN LOWERED REZ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 09:53:49 pm »

FWIW, the tuner is a Hauppauge DualHD, records in 1080 on the selected channel and I verified it using Hauppauge's player.  MC is timeshifting this 1080 channel in 720.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 10:16:16 pm »

Different channel?

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 11:59:11 pm »

Tried that, again 720 vertical.  Has anyone else checked the rez of their timeshifting in PN?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 12:02:43 pm »

JTV time-shifting uses whatever the capture device outputs.  Maybe there is some settings on the device but usually there is not anything for digital TV devices. While time-shifting, right-click the window and choose "DirectShow filters" and look at the top portion.  Between "Network Provider" and "MPEG-2 Demultiplexer", do you see any item(s) that is not greyed out?  If so, try clicking it.  Otherwise you should try Hauppauge setup software and see if you can get anything.

If you change recording format to TS, does it record in the right resolution?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 12:49:47 pm »

Between "Network Provider" and "MPEG-2 Demultiplexer"--On my list, "MPEG-2 . . ." comes first, FWIW.

Between the two I  have this NON-greyed out item:

"Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD TS Capture".  Clicking on it/right-clicking on it gets me nothing.

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 12:52:23 pm »

Recording format has always been in TS.  I'm not judging the recordings, I'm playing back the timeshifting only, which is jtv.

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 01:14:25 pm »

Trying to be as clear as I can, I'm trying to record "What I'm Watching", and using timeshifting and the editing/converting format later lets me do this.  Doing it this way, I get 720 when playing back the JTV timeshifting itself, and the conversion to TS defaults to 720, indicating it would be uprezzing to 1080. 

The reason I do it this way is that 20 years later MC still doesn't have a "Record" button, the only useful way to records sporting events, which NEVER obey a schedule or an EPG.  We just came through a major sporting event, the Olympics, and on the final day I discover that everything I recorded is at 720.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 05:04:44 pm »

Are you using client / server mode?  In that case, the server may down convert.  Check the conversion settings.

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 10:51:27 pm »

No JimH, and thank yoiu for asking.  Now I have a favor to ask, and this will take about 30 seconds:  Can you please record HD TIMESHIFTING of any duration, save it off, and then load it into a PN (preferably not the TV view) and look at the file size in PN?  I haven't seen anybody say they've done this, and I promise my feelings won't be hurt by the answer.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 09:51:05 am »

I see one issue.

I time-shifted an HD channel, 1920x1080.  The displayed video was 1920x1080.  If I record the show in JTV, the resulting video is tagged 1280x720, even though the video itself is 1920x1080.  If I use "Save time-shifting",  the resulting JTV file was tagged correctly.

Was this what you see?  It is the tagging that was wrong.  The video was recorded in correct dimension.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 11:29:37 am »

Yes, that's what I see!

I do have "Always save" timeshifting enabled, but I have seen difficulties in previous iterations of MC 28 (~.94) getting the timeshifting to actually save.  In .105 and .106 it's been saving correctly but the rez issue is what I now see.

Important to note that MC believes it to be that lowered rez, and there could be unexpected consequences.  As I noted, MC currently defaults to converting the jtv file at that lowered rez, and seems to be taking an oddly long time to convert it to the higher, "correct" rez.  Is there an issue with that?

Thanks yao, for looking at this. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up