INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD to DAC... which output format is preferred?  (Read 453 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
DSD to DAC... which output format is preferred?
« on: February 22, 2022, 10:12:55 am »

I see on the JRiver wiki page:

Output Encoding
This allows you to select output encodings for use with an external DAC, signal processor, or Home Theater Receiver. If a value other than None is selected, all audio output will be re-encoded to the specified format before being sent to the audio device.
The formats available (in MC23) are;
    Dolby Digital
    DSD in DoP format (at 1x, 2x and 4x)
    DSD in native format (at 1x, 2x, 4x and 8x) (requires ASIO)
These options are only recommended if your audio device can only play a particular format. For example, playing multichannel audio over SPDIF or when using a DAC that only accepts with DSD.

What is the ideal format to select for DSD? I have been using bitstreaming and with that it seems to be no processing applied to the signal (I get the blue gear icon lit up a the top to the right of the playback progress bar). Is that the right way to do it or should I select DSD in native format?
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD to DAC... which output format is preferred?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 06:37:01 pm »

If you have DSD files, then bitstreaming them is the best way to play them. They should not be converted to another DSD rate, as that goes through a PCM conversion which probably lowers the quality of the audio. So, bitstream DSD files and set Output Formatting to None.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Re: DSD to DAC... which output format is preferred?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:32:50 pm »

If you have DSD files, then bitstreaming them is the best way to play them. They should not be converted to another DSD rate, as that goes through a PCM conversion which probably lowers the quality of the audio. So, bitstream DSD files and set Output Formatting to None.

Thank You!
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel
Pages: [1]   Go Up