INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Home videos (converted from VHS to MPEG2) playback problems [Solved]  (Read 566 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

I have hundreds of home videos that apparently won't play on MC28 (28.0.106).  These files play fine on MC27.  I was doing some testing as I have just installed MC28.  Red Oct standard gives me "flashes" of video with black screen in between, and no audio.  Red Oct HQ gives me a black screen with good audio.

I converted these VHS tapes (probably 15 or so years ago).  I can't even remember the old digital video camera I used... but here is what GSpot says about the file specs.

-Container     - MPEG-2
   -Video Codec - MPEG2
   -Frames/s     -  29.97
   -Size            -  720 x 480
   -Audio Codec - MPEG-1, Layer 2, 48000Hz, 384kb/s, Stereo

Any troubleshooting ideas?  Again, the files still play on MC27

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Old Home videos (converted from VHS to MPEG2) playback problems
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 12:50:10 pm »

What is the full version?  28.0.106 is available.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 01:02:15 pm »

Yes 28.0.106 (1st line of my post).  FWIW I just tried RO JRVR and the MPEG2s appear to play fine.. although I've only test two videos.  I'll test my other video types and guess I'll stick with JRVR if it works.  I assume JRVR is not the default because it's still under development?  I still find it curious that RO standard and HQ don't play these videos in version 28.  Maybe a bug?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 03:56:53 pm »

Good to know that JRVR works, but it is strange the RO/ROHQ does not work.  You would need to post a sample of one of the videos that does not play well.
JRiver CEO Elect

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 12:36:42 pm »

Problem solved.  Turns out the playback issue was unique to only one of my PC clients (old Thinkpad laptop).  Device manager showed it had two display adapters (Intel HD graphics...  and Nvidia Gforce).  I went to the Nvidia control panel and noticed all the settings where the system could choose an adapter were set to "Auto".  I changed them all to default to the Nvidia Gforce and all is good.  The MPEG2s will play with any of the Red October options.  I guess the Intel HD adapter was the problem FWIW.  Although maybe I'll set the default to Intel and test that.  Maybe MC was confused by having both options?
Pages: [1]   Go Up