INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffering full file loading in a audiophile ssd instead of loading in memory  (Read 1792 times)

Audio24

Hello,

in many cases the sound quality of network playback using a NAS as the audio data source is significantly worse than playback from the internal SSD of a PC.
I use a very precisely clocked SLC compact flash card over SATA with a high quality power supply and really appreciate the playback quality much over network playback.

Playing a track directly from this storage medium sounds significantly better than playing this audio data source buffered in memory. In my case, memory playback is therefore deactivated.
Unfortunately, for network playback, I can't set a partition of the CF card as a track buffer. This is only possible loading the network data into PC memory.

I think that we could improve the network playback sound significantly, if we could select a partition of a audiophile data disk for buffering. The track should be completely loaded into the storage medium (partition) before playing it, and only when this is completed the playback should start.
After playback this track, it should be deleted again in order to select the next one and store it temporarily.

Suitable audiophile media are being developed and thus many more users will be able to enjoy a medium that sounds better than buffering in memory.

Would it be possible to integrate partition selection but with exact the behavior like memory playback in JRiver?
It could revolutionize network playback.

Best regards

Horst

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Load full file not into memory, but into an audiophile ssd
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 07:03:17 am »

A file is the same no matter where it is loaded from.   If you hear a difference, it's your imagination or your settings are different or there's a problem with your hardware setup (too slow, for example).

Audio24

Re: Load full file not into memory, but into an audiophile ssd
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 10:20:40 am »

In my setup it makes a big difference to buffer the entire track on my CF card instead of in memory and play the temporarily saved file from this device instead of playing over the IP network.

Is it possible to configure JRiver to buffer in a partition (temporarily load the track onto the CF card)?
Maybe I can configure it in the registry?

Thanks in advance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up