INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub-Groups in Theater View TV Guide?  (Read 1403 times)

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
Sub-Groups in Theater View TV Guide?
« on: March 12, 2022, 06:59:05 am »

Apologies if this has been asked or answered before. I have looked but couldn't find anything.

Is there any way to create sub-groups of channels underneath Guide in Theater View?

When accessing the Guide through Theater View, it presents a grid listing EPG which is perfect.

What I am trying to do is to create a few sub-groups after the Guide, so instead of the next options following Guide being Favorite, To Be Recorded etc, there are a few channel groups there first, and when selecting one, it shows the EPG grid for just the channels in that group instead of the entire EPG channel listing.

I can get the entries to show up after the default Guide, but no matter what I try I either get a blank page or a listing of a smartlist containing the channel entries, but I cannot get this to show an EPG grid for those channels.

I subscribe to a few different TV services and providers and this would drastically reduce endless complaints from the family when I replace the incumbent system with JRiver.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Sub-Groups in Theater View TV Guide?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:53:54 am »

Great day konkeydong75,

Here's at least the way i went:

I did copied the Guide entry from Theater View's "items to show" and created additional entries by adding the following custom rule pointing to a list:
Code: [Select]
[Custom][=TVInfo(ChannelKeywords)&DataType=[List]]=[...]
I'm also using multiple users, which then can be selected from Theater View or Standart View.
Via a smartlist, containing TV channels and using the tag editor you can adjust which user has access - which ends up as a listed channel or not within the EPG.
Advantage of using users is you could set a pasword for each, in case wanted.

Goodluck when customizing  ;D

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 10:46:01 am »

Hi @Mans,

Thanks for replying.

I have tried but still had no luck.

What item are you adding to "items to show"? Is it library item?

Also when adding the custom rule, does the name of list need to be surrounded by " or ' if it contains spaces, or is that not required?

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 01:25:36 pm »

Hi, you need to play a bit with customising,

I've added some new library items under TV>Guide>as nested variants of the original Guide value and added the customrule(s).
The ruler under Theater View TV will show you the variants to choose from.

Enjoy !

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 02:09:02 pm »

Thanks Mans,

I did try that for a couple of hours earlier with no luck.

I'll take another stab at it when I get some time.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 11:41:54 pm »

Please read the wiki article on Theater View Guide setup, if you have not already done so.

Mans' suggestion, using this custom rule:

[Custom][=TVInfo(ChannelKeywords)&DataType=[List]]=[...]
is just a variation on "Favorite" setup described in the wiki article.  Note that in the code above. "[...]" should actually be a keyword.  It is [Favorite] for Favorite view.  You can add keywords to each channel, then use the keyword to set up your sub-groups.

What item are you adding to "items to show"? Is it library item?

Yes, you add a Library item.

For example, I can add my name "Yaobing" as a keyword to the channels that I want to watch, and then create a custom view by clicking "Add...", Library item.  I name this item "Yaobing" and clear all checkboxes under Options.  Now I click "Set rules for file display", and in the resulting dialog window, I create this custom rule:

[=TVInfo(ChannelKeywords)&DataType=[List]]=[Yaobing]
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 05:59:16 am »

KEYWORDS!

Thanks Yaobing, I don't know how I missed that, I had read the guide setup article, but I was getting hung up on
    and adding in the name of the smartlist thinking it should be the name of a list and not a list of values.

The WAF is very important with these things and this will save me a load of complaints!

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 11:29:08 am »

Glad to hear you've nailed it Konkeydong75,
Once you start customising MC it seems we'll never stop :-)
So many challenges and possibilities to go for,

Enjoy !

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 03:20:46 pm »

Hi @mans @yaobing,

I have one more question on this one I can't seem to work around.

When navigating from one group in the guide to another there is a delay I can't eradicate. It's not awful, maybe 5 seconds, but enough to be annoying.

It does not seem to matter how many channels are in a group so I'm assuming it's to do with looking up the keywords?

The channels displayed in each group have only one keyword each.

The server is a 3ghz i5 with 16gb ram and is fairly nippy with everything else. The clients display the same issue with varying hardware specs.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 12:35:45 pm »

Greatday Konkeydong75,

Such a delay shouldn't be happening.
Fyi i don't see any delay when switching any menu or roller inside Theater View.
Even the NUC's, which I'm using as clients, aren't showing any hesitation.

I'm sure it can't be related to the lookup of keywords, that's a too lightweight action to cause any delay.

Maybe Yaobing has a clue what's causing this or a hint to look for.

Goodluck !

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:00:48 am »

Hi @mans,

Are you applying the tag to the smartlist itself or the channels that the group contains?

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 01:48:54 pm »

Hi konkeydong75, unfortunaly i didn't received a message about your new post, so didn't noticed thisone earlier as today,
Are you applying the tag to the smartlist itself or the channels that the group contains?
Inside your TV Channels smartlist you'll just at the Keyword tag to those individual channels you'll like to list with.
You can make a multiselect and at the Keyword to your preference via the tag editor and those channels will listed accordingly.

Goodluck!

konkeydong75

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 10:41:59 am »

@Mans,

The issue I was seeing with the lag when changing sub groups in the guide has been massively improved in build 30.0.63.
Pages: [1]   Go Up