INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC28 won't start, quits unexpectedly for second user on Mac  (Read 1355 times)

eruse

• Recent member
MC28 won't start, quits unexpectedly for second user on Mac
« on: March 13, 2022, 03:30:28 pm »

Hi-
I'm running MC28.0.106 (Silicon) on a Mac Mini M1.  It runs fine for me (I installed MC28 on the computer) but when my spouse tries to run it, it won't start and there is an error message that it quits unexpectedly.  I have added MC28 to the System Preferences-Security & Privacy "Accessibility" and "Input Monitoring" options for my spouse's account as per this thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130111.msg902643.html#msg902643

but cannot add MC28 to the System Preferences-Security & Privacy "Files and Folders" option under my spouse's account per this thread:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131123.msg909185.html#msg909185

I can (and have) added MC28 to this option under my account but for some reason I cannot add any apps to that option for my spouse's account (the +/- button is greyed out).

I'm not sure if this is the problem or if there is some other issue.  Help appreciated.

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC28 won't start, quits unexpectedly for second user on Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 11:33:11 am »

Her account might need to be an administrative account, not a standard account.

eruse

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 04:55:27 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  Her account is an administrative account.  Other thoughts?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:55:39 am »

I'm not sure how that disk access item is working but you can add MediaCenter29 for full disk access below the files and folders permissions.

I just tried this and got the same result as you however.

There is something going on that started with one of the Catalina updates and now seems to happen for all newer MacOS.
I think it's a permissions issue but I'm not certain.

At any rate, I discovered that if you install MC again as the second user it will work. You just install as if you are doing it for the first time, open the dmg and drag MC into applications. It will overwrite the existing one which doesn't actually change anything in the Applications directory but somehow makes the system see it properly for that user.

Tested afterwards to make sure it still worked for the primary user and it does.

eruse

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:06:36 pm »

Thanks very much, that worked.  It does seem like a permission issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 03:19:57 pm »

Also I think the update to 29.0.22 probably fixed this completely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up