INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can see my Mac JRiver client on my windows server  (Read 1203 times)

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
Can see my Mac JRiver client on my windows server
« on: March 13, 2022, 04:20:13 pm »

Hi all -

I had a mac running as a server and I decided to switch that to a Windows laptop and have the mac just be an endpoint that I send music to. I setup the windows laptop and it sees all my sonos devices and my TV, but not the mac - so I uninstalled JRiver and reinstalled it on the mac, but the windows machine doesn't see it still. I can open the Windows library from the mac, so they can communicate, that's for sure......but I don't really want to do that - I just want to stream music from the windows machine to the mac.

I had a similar situation in another location where I had a Linux machine as a server and the windows laptop did not see it, but a complete removal of JRiver on the Linux machine and reinstall fixed it. The Windows machine saw it instantly

I followed the uninstall instructions on the wiki which say "Uninstall an old version by dragging it into the Trash from the applications folder. To remove the old data, you need to remove the respective version information folder (replace XX below with the version number). This is in the users home folder under Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center XX"

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Mac_Installation_%26_Removal

what am I missing here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Can see my Mac JRiver client on my windows server
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 04:57:41 pm »

Is Media Network running?

Use the Access Key to connect.  The wiki explains.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 05:07:18 pm »

From the mac, I can open the library on the windows server with its access key and play music, but I don’t want to do it that way. I want to simply stream music from the windows server to the mac just like I can to a sonos device but the mac doesn’t show up as a device to stream to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 05:11:30 pm »

That would be using the Mac as a DLNA / UPnP Renderer.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 05:14:09 pm »

Oh, I thought all I needed to do was install JRiver on the mac and the server would see it. So I have to stream to the Mac from windows via DNLA?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 05:25:28 pm »

On the wiki, please read these topics:

DLNA
Media Network
Access Key

You're correct that you play to the Mac from the Windows PC.  Renderers available are in the top section of Playing Now.  Servers are in the bottom section.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 06:23:06 pm »

I activated the media server on the mac and it works now. I didn’t think you had to do that.

Thanks!

PS - I have found my solution for using JRiver in 2 homes. I just installed it on a laptop and I take the laptop between homes. Piece of cake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up