INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver for Android  (Read 3839 times)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
JRiver for Android
« on: March 14, 2022, 06:03:39 pm »

Trying JRiver for Android for the first time in a long time, and I have a few questions:

- How do I view my playlists? solved
- How do I change which folders are imported?  I just want it to import my music folder and nothing else.
- Does the Clear Library button actually do anything?
- Why does it keep showing certain albums with two of every song? (just synced to a new SD card from MC28 so there's definitely only one copy on there, and nothing on the phone itself) solved
- How do I get any information about where a song is in the file system?  Or any other information about it?
- Are there planned changes to the interface? 
- Why does it jump back up to the top of the list every time I back out from an artist?
- Where are all the settings?  Cross fade? Gapless? Sort?  Add (shuffled)? 

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: JRiver for Android
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 06:10:01 pm »

Do you have any playlists?

Been to settings?  Gear Icon > Settings>

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 06:18:09 pm »

Settings gives me three tabs
Main - gives me a choice of light or dark and where it's playing to, plus Audio Device - Android Oboe or null?  Not quite sure what that means
Advanced - gives me three basic display settings - number of items per page, ratings and stack display
Library - shows some information about the library and server plus a Run Auto-Import button - which again doesn't seem to actually do anything?

Is there meant to be more? Press and hold what?

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 06:19:42 pm »

Do you have any playlists?
I synced several over and they're there on the SD card in a Playlists folder as m3u files

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 06:24:38 pm »

I don't use JRiver for Android to play from an SD card, but you need to select the folder first, then do auto import.

From Brad's advice to another customer having trouble:

Have you tried clearing the app cache and data? It's different on every device, but you need to go into the device's settings menu, then probably applications, then find JRiver for Android. There should be a storage option somewhere in there that will let you clear the app cache and data.

Are you running any anti-virus apps?

Does the device have sufficient storage space available (more than 10%)?

BradATIMA

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 06:44:37 pm »

- How do I view my playlists?

Imported playlists will show up under the playlists category. On the main page, it's the button with three dots and three horizontal lines.

- How do I change which folders are imported?  I just want it to import my music folder and nothing else.

You can't set folders for auto import yet. The app will automatically import files from Android's media folders on the primary storage device. If you're using a custom folders or a secondary storage card, you need to import folders manually by clicking on the gear icon and selecting 'Import Folder'. Browse to the folder you want and tap the '+' to import from it.

- Does the Clear Library button actually do anything?

Yes, but it takes time and you may not see the results right away. It may also re-import from Android's media folders again. For now, what you can do is select 'Remove file from library' when selecting a file.

- Why does it keep showing certain albums with two of every song? (just synced to a new SD card from MC28 so there's definitely only one copy on there, and nothing on the phone itself)

If you have two storage cards, make sure that there isn't another copy of the file on the other SD card.

- How do I get any information about where a song is in the file system?  Or any other information about it?

At the moment, there is no way to do that. It will be added soon.

- Are there planned changes to the interface? 

Yes. In fact, there will be one or more updates this week. It's still in development.

- Why does it jump back up to the top of the list every time I back out from an artist?

The web interface it currently uses does not track the position history.

- Where are all the settings?  Cross fade? Gapless? Sort?  Add (shuffled)? 

Settings like crossfade and gapless are not available yet. Shuffle and repeat are on the playing now page.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 06:51:47 pm »

From Brad's advice to another customer having trouble:

Have you tried clearing the app cache and data? It's different on every device, but you need to go into the device's settings menu, then probably applications, then find JRiver for Android. There should be a storage option somewhere in there that will let you clear the app cache and data.

Thanks this seems to have solved some of the issues (will update first post)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 07:25:08 pm »

Thanks this seems to have solved some of the issues (will update first post)
Spoke too soon :-\ still have the same problems once it's finished re-importing.

Imported playlists will show up under the playlists category. On the main page, it's the button with three dots and three horizontal lines.
Ah, I think I'd tried this but hadn't realised I had to manually import them.  On the basis that's it seems to have scoured my entire phone, I'd presumed
it would have managed to get these itself!

Quote from: BradATIMA
You can't set folders for auto import yet. The app will automatically import files from Android's media folders on the primary storage device. If you're using a custom folders or a secondary storage card, you need to import folders manually by clicking on the gear icon and selecting 'Import Folder'. Browse to the folder you want and tap the '+' to import from it.
So there's no way to stop it doing an auto import?  Just seems rather presumptive and privacy invading!  I really don't want random photos that people have sent me in WhatsApp to be there!

Yes, but it takes time and you may not see the results right away. It may also re-import from Android's media folders again. For now, what you can do is select 'Remove file from library' when selecting a file.
This works (very slowly it would seem, didn't seem to do anything to begin with).  As half of my albums are showing duplicates this is not a workable solution however.
Also, not sure if this is a bug, but when selecting this option, it shows:
Code: [Select]
The page at "http://localhost" says
Are you sure you want to remove this file from your library?

If you have two storage cards, make sure that there isn't another copy of the file on the other SD card.
I don't have technology quite that advanced!

At the moment, there is no way to do that. It will be added soon.
Yes. In fact, there will be one or more updates this week. It's still in development.
Great :)

The web interface it currently uses does not track the position history.
And this seems to be the crux of the problem.  Not that I really know anything about these things, but why is it using such an awkward web interface?  Gizmo by comparison is so much nicer to use.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 09:14:59 pm »

- Why does it keep showing certain albums with two of every song? (just synced to a new SD card from MC28 so there's definitely only one copy on there, and nothing on the phone itself)
Found the solution to this one finally.  There were actually a number of albums on the phone itself in this location
Galaxy A5 (2017)\Phone\Android\data\jriver.mediacenter.android\files\Music\v1 - Medium

No idea how they got there?  A seemingly completely random selection, some fairly recent purchases so not some historical issue.

BradATIMA

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 07:10:31 pm »

Found the solution to this one finally.  There were actually a number of albums on the phone itself in this location
Galaxy A5 (2017)\Phone\Android\data\jriver.mediacenter.android\files\Music\v1 - Medium

No idea how they got there?  A seemingly completely random selection, some fairly recent purchases so not some historical issue.

That's a new one for me. I've never seen a Music folder in the files directory before, so I'm not sure why it was created or files placed there. Did the files look like they might be conversions? You can probably remove it if there is nothing important in there and see if it comes back.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 08:28:01 pm »

That's a new one for me. I've never seen a Music folder in the files directory before, so I'm not sure why it was created or files placed there. Did the files look like they might be conversions? You can probably remove it if there is nothing important in there and see if it comes back.

They're all MP3 files but that's what I convert everything to when syncing to my phone, so not sure what that means if anything.
Some full albums, some individual songs.  All in folders Artist/Album but without track numbers in the filename contrary to how I'd usually have it.
Nothing there that I haven't listened to at all recently (last 6 months perhaps) but a long way off everything I've listened to!  137 files by 18 different artists.  Not as much as I'd have expected giving how many there seemed to be when I was having the initial problem, and one particular album - the first I noticed / had a problem with - isn't there, which is strange, but maybe I'm mistaken. 

Anyway, I've removed it all (copied to PC first for reference), will keep an eye on it and see if anything more appears there.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up