INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 29 Has More Bass Than 28?  (Read 946 times)

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
Version 29 Has More Bass Than 28?
« on: March 22, 2022, 07:36:26 pm »

I am running both latest versions on my Win11 htpc with identical settings. Realtek on-board, using 7.1 configuration for 5.1 motherboard output (I've always done this in MC to get rear channels out of Realtek). Not using any fancy PEQ, just a steep 30 Hz high-pass, Volume Leveling, and a 10 db boost for all channels.

There is significantly more subwoofer response playing identical tracks in version 29, but am unable to pin down the cause or what is actually happening.

Is there a track, log, or screenshot I can use for documenting my bass-heavy perception?
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Version 29 Has More Bass Than 28?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 03:39:07 am »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio can be used to verify what is actually coming out of MC

you need a mic to measure what is actually played back

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 04:44:48 am »

Could be a LFE/Sub-channel thing, it is supposed to be boosted 10 dB by the receiver, it is possible the channel is at the same level as the others coming out from MC.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 07:09:19 pm »

Could be a LFE/Sub-channel thing, it is supposed to be boosted 10 dB by the receiver, it is possible the channel is at the same level as the others coming out from MC.
No receiver here. Just MC. There is a difference between 28 minutes and 29..... Same machine and library. I'll troubleshoot this weekend.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 07:51:43 pm »

One guess I have: there was a change to the way Q is calculated for high pass filters.  If you didn't change the Q on your highpass, your 30Hz highpass may have a very different slope in 29 vs. 28.  That could be letting a bit more bass through or possibly even peaking a bit.  Try deleting and recreating your highpass filter and seeing if that solves the issue for you (a newly created filter will have the new default Q instead of the old default Q).

But mattkhan's right, the best way to tell is to verify what's actually coming out. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up