INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: windows 11 SDR Content Brightness  (Read 2610 times)

Dillon

• Recent member
windows 11 SDR Content Brightness
« on: March 30, 2022, 12:40:00 am »

Does anyone know if theres a way to force jriver to change the SDR content brightness so it turns up higher only when playing a movie in jriver?

i have tried using every other setting in madvr and nvidia drivers to adjust the gamma brightness contrast and all of them make the video looked washed out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: windows 11 SDR Content Brightness
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:20:02 am »

What is Red October set to?  Try changing it.

Dillon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 10:09:12 am »

hq settings. madvr gamma is turned off all it does is make black lwvels worse.

basically all i need is an app that will change the hdr sdr brightness in windows 11 so i dont have to adjust it manualy. its at 25 on the sdr content slider i need it at 48 for movies

Windows desktop is too bright when i make it higher so i need it to go back to lower settings when not warching a movie

Kinda need to turn it up since im using a projector

Dillon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 12:14:43 pm »

another thing works , if I set the HDR/SDR to 50
i can adjust it through nvidia's brightness on ADJUST DESKTOP COLOR SETTINGS and it looks fine, but i still need to adjust when i watch a movie.

so all i need is an app to adjust the brightness for either the HDR/SDR or the  NVIDIA DESKTOP COLOR SETTINGS when i run JRiver

hope this is making sense!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 12:17:55 pm »

Did you try Red October JRVR?

In MC, you can use Zones and ZoneSwitch to switch between two different configurations.  See the wiki for details.

Dillon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 12:37:33 pm »

same issue using JRVR

darker picture - any adjustments on anything other than the nvidia brightness or Windows HDR settings will give a washed out artifcially brightned image.

nvidia's adjust video color settings kind of works but it's buggy and seems to change the settings on its own

only thing i can do for now is manually adjust the brighness in the nvidia control panel when i want to watch a movie

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 12:43:28 am »

Are you using Windows HDR? ... try turning that off
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Dillon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 02:21:31 pm »

tried that, didnt get a decent picture and i dont like the HDR switching.

it looks best when i boost nvidia's contrast settings but they revert back to their defaults every time i restart a movie .
I read color management has something to do with this but i havent found a fix so far

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 12:04:40 pm »

Not sure what is exactly your set up ... so what follows is my guess

First, I dont think adjusting gamma and so on on NVidia settings is correct way to adjust picture quality ... that setting should be set to "with the video player settings"

My guess one of the following is mismatching: NVidia [output dynamic range], MadVR [the display expects the following RGB output levels], your display/projector corresponding setting

Most ppl use 0-255 setting in their chain ... so that would be Nvidia "full",  MadVR "PC levels (0-255)", usually "PC mode" for display/projector (name varies with manufacturers)

As for "HDR switching" ... besides using MadVR for upscaling, people use MadVR for HDR tone mapping - which does not use "HDR switching" ... read this to get basic understanding of HDR

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126153.0.html

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Dillon

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 05:43:31 pm »

i wound up turning off the nvidia settings and using windows 11 HDR and JRVR
it seemed to work a lil better than madvr and I don't hear my fans from my pc with HDR movies

turning on dynamic black on my optoma uhd 38 projector helped a lil bit getting the brightness back but causes flicker on some scenes
The nvidia settings still looks better but then some scenes you see a slight loss of detail

daladna

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 02:00:12 pm »

hi, i've exactly same situation... but in my case some time i forgot change sdr content brightness:) so would be very nice, if in settings start jriver will change that value automatically, or even best way if only sdr movie starts it's will triggering value from jriver new option, in my case it's 50... i better feel with 0 when i use internet include youtube, but when watch sdr movie it's stay look cool so i can forgot to change the settings in win11 to 50 that much better... all games that haven't hdr probably has autohdr so i haven't problem with that... only when whatch movie in jriver or netflix software... would be same cool if nvidia add that for certain software... but afaik they doesn't yet... just one option... hdr content don't change whatever you set in sdr content brightness so no problem if in any way jriver will push the trigger to set the value user choice... in ideal world set it back to another value after close jriver in my case 0... probably i must create same post like Dillon does on nvidia forum,  if that setting can changed in nvidia control panel or nvinspector that's would be perfect
Pages: [1]   Go Up