INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange problem with UHD  (Read 486 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Strange problem with UHD
« on: March 31, 2022, 11:44:22 am »

If I copy the UHD on the hard disk, the vision of the film runs smoothly, if instead I try to see the film directly from the physical media, it always stops at the same point. To solve, I have to get close to that point, manually advance it and then, if I start again, everything flows fine.

If I insert the disc again, the problem no longer occurs.

Initially I thought it was due to the bad quality of UHD, but then it happened to me with others as well, each with its own point where it crashes.

What can it depend on?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: Strange problem with UHD
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 04:07:45 pm »

Sounds like a Layer change, where the player needs to refocus/recalibrate the laser for the 2nd/3rd layer; this usually causes a small pause (0.5-1 second), not a full freeze. This also happened with dual-layer DVDs on cheap players.

Some players are faster than others. The software can compensate by having a massive read-ahead cache, not sure what MC does there.

Many sites also tell you to clean your discs: https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/7/26/suffering-individual-disc-playback-freezes-clean-the-disc

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 12:53:47 am »

So would it be enough to clean the disks? I didn't do it because they weren't old records but just taken out of their case.

I'll do some tests

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 12:58:51 am »

My LOTR discs were a PITA to read.  It was like they were covered in WD40... but that was years ago and I've no trouble with discs for ages.  I have however had drives start to go flaky and can hear them trying to re-read sectors which would not be good with real time playback.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up