INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Left clicking a playing video will toggle the pause state.  (Read 7005 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Left clicking a playing video will toggle the pause state.
« on: April 19, 2022, 02:03:05 am »

MC27 had this feature and was added: Left clicking a playing video will toggle the pause state.

Is there a setting somewhere that disables this feature in MC29?
If the answer is NO then is it possible to add one in a future release to MC29 please?
It was added to MC27 on the 27.0.15 (9/21/2020)

27.0.15 (9/21/2020)

13. NEW: Left clicking a playing video will toggle the pause state.

This is the thread where the guy is asking the question and below looks like when they added the feature (see#13)
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=127045.0

We need to be able to bring the window to the front and left clicking in the video window seems to be the only way to do it (BUT this now pauses the player)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
Re: Left clicking a playing video will toggle the pause state.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 07:15:00 am »

What version are you running? Quick testing on my machine v29.0.34, I cannot reproduce your issue. This was resolved in v27.0.18 (9/30/2020)

4. Changed: The program no longer pauses a playing video when clicking to activate the program from another program.

JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Windows Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV •4 OTA & 6 Cable SiliconDust Tuners •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700HѫFluance 7.2.2[FH] •SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 02:15:00 pm »

The OP is right, left clicking on a video while the video is playing in full-screen pauses and resumes playback.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 02:49:37 pm »

The OP is right, left clicking on a video while the video is playing in full-screen pauses and resumes playback.

That is an intentional feature, as documented in the changelog - but its not supposed to pause if MC doesn't have focus, and you just click on it to gain focus.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 05:17:48 pm »

If you have set windows to "scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" or you use a 3rd party to give a window focus on mouse hover (as I do with WinAero Tweaker), that effectively takes the place of a physical click.

murray

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 07:28:45 pm »

That is an intentional feature, as documented in the changelog - but its not supposed to pause if MC doesn't have focus, and you just click on it to gain focus.
We are running MC 29.0.28. on Win 10. Prior to this we were running 25 and never had these issues. We were never using the left click on video window as we didn’t need to because it never failed. This was only discovered as the fix in 29 by lots of trial and error.

We have a script setup in MadVR which does some picture enhancements utilising keyboard shortcuts 3 & 4
Occasionally and for no apparent reason these shortcuts stop working and the only way we have discovered to make them work again is to left click on the video but as mentioned this pauses the video.
We can simulate the keyboard shortcuts not working by pausing the video in the player controls at the top of the page using the mouse. Once you click this then the shortcuts no longer work. Left mouse clicking on the video starts them working again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 10:29:29 pm »

Try the doom9 forum for help with madVR.

murray

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 11:50:32 pm »

Try the doom9 forum for help with madVR.
JimH, you added the feature we are discussing here to MC27 on the (9/21/2020). This obviously is a JR feature not a madvr feature so I cant go to doom9 for answers. Is it not possible to have a tick box to enable this feature or disable it, we don’t want the video to pause when you left click on the mouse.

murray

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 11:54:04 pm »

If you have set windows to "scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" or you use a 3rd party to give a window focus on mouse hover (as I do with WinAero Tweaker), that effectively takes the place of a physical click.
HPBEME….. scroll inactive windows when I hover over them is on. We downloaded WinAero Tweaker but cannot get this to work as you suggest. Presuming its in the Xmouse section ???. We turned on a setting in the ease of use settings of windows like they suggested but not sure of the other settings in WinAero to get it to work by moving the mouse on the screen, It only works with a click still.

According to this document from Microsoft  the only way to focus a window is to left mouse click
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-focus-on-a-window-e4f9fc5e-efa1-4655-ae34-04cb8f4f3716

murray

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 12:06:25 am »

Thanks for that info Hendrik but it doesnt actually work exactly like that in MC29. You say its not supposed to "pause" if MC doesnt have focus but it does pause every time.

murray

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 12:06:56 am »

*****We should have mentioned that we use Theatre View and all discussion relate to this ******

We have loaded a little script in windows that shows the active focus window. We have noticed that there is a JRiver Media Center29 Focus and also a Theatre View GL Focus. Can anyone explain the differences? We have tried using EventGhost to bring the window into focus but can only find an option for Media Center 29 (which doesn’t work) and nothing for Theatre View GL so maybe this is where the problem is???

This is not really our area of expertise so if anyone can help out it would be appreciated so we can get this working as it was in MC25

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 01:47:16 am »

I've seen instances over the years where it looks like Theater View is in focus but is not.  A single Alt Tab worked.
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

murray

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 02:15:27 am »

I've seen instances over the years where it looks like Theater View is in focus but is not.  A single Alt Tab worked.
Thanks so much for trying to help jmone, Ive just tried a single Alt Tab in Theatre View and it doesnt fix the problem. All it does is brings up a small JR box in the centre of the screen with the text JRiver MC29, but does not bring Theatre View into Focus.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 06:38:51 am »

JimH, you added the feature we are discussing here to MC27 on the (9/21/2020). This obviously is a JR feature not a madvr feature so I cant go to doom9 for answers. Is it not possible to have a tick box to enable this feature or disable it, we don’t want the video to pause when you left click on the mouse.
You could try with video set to JRVR.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 06:55:44 am »

We are running MC 29.0.28. on Win 10. ...

We have a script setup in MadVR which does some picture enhancements utilising keyboard shortcuts 3 & 4
Occasionally and for no apparent reason these shortcuts stop working and the only way we have discovered to make them work again is to left click on the video but as mentioned this pauses the video.

This appears to be the key to your problem, and it seems to be related to these madVR changes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2022, 07:07:20 am »

You might consider using MCWS, MC's web service interface, to control MC.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DevZone#Web_Service_Interface_.28MCWS.29

Run MC's Library Server and then click here:

http://localhost:52199/MCWS/v1/doc

murray

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2022, 02:56:57 pm »

You could try with video set to JRVR.
We cant try this in JRVR JimH as it doesn’t have any enhancement features like madvr does. As you know madvr has many extra features that JRVR doesn’t and that’s the only reason we stick with madvr, maybe one day we can change if and when JRVR may catch up.

murray

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2022, 03:07:11 pm »

This appears to be the key to your problem, and it seems to be related to these madVR changes.
There are no changes here Jim, we have been doing exactly the same thing for more than 8 years and everything has always worked perfectly with every single JR version we have had over the years.....

The only resent changes that have been made (on the same day) was to update to MC29 and update Windows which we havent done in years. We never update Windows as the PC is a dedecated HT PC and when everything works perfectly we never update. Our resent update to MC29 was to test JRVR which sadly didnt do justice to our large 150" curved scope screen, hence the reason to sticking with madvr for now.....

This would work for us if MC29 had an option to not pause the film when one left clicks to bring it into focus. As Ive mentioned on this thread in the past we run a small film club and we cant pause the film then restart when people are in the cinema, thats certainly not nice.

We will try your "other" idea and report back.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2022, 03:18:32 pm »

I'm also using Theater View (with JRVR all the time, btw), and noticed that indeed sometimes keyboard and mouse inputs don't seem to be interpreted by MC anymore despite the fact that the video window is on top of everything else. (I think it used to/still does(?) happen when starting playback of a DVD or Bluray, if the playback was started by pressing Play on a ISO, or when MC has to download something first before starting playback, etc)

What I discovered is that if I cycle using F11 (yes, for some reason F11 is still interpreted by MC, while other keys such as arrow keys or Enter are not) between the video window -> the Theater View main view -> the last Theater View view before starting playback -> back to main video window, somehow this "resets" whatever state MC is in and it interprets all keyboard and mouse inputs again. Try it out!

As a side-note: if I got this right, MC actually makes use of two windows when in Theater View mode: the Theater View window, and the Display View window. The Theater View window is used to display the theater mode user interface, while the video is rendered in the Display View window. When someone starts playback of a video file from the Theater View window, MC switches from the Theater View window to the Display View window.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2022, 03:26:12 pm »

Switching to JRVR (and rebooting) might give you a better idea if madVR is the problem.

murray

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2022, 03:46:58 pm »

Switching to JRVR (and rebooting) might give you a better idea if madVR is the problem.
JimH I dont know if you are refering to bogdanbz or me as you have no quote above.
If its me: as I mentioned in the previous post Ive tried JRVR etc etc etc....
madvr isnt the problem its an old old version nothing has changed there, the only changes are moving from MC25 to MC29 and a Windows 10 update.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2022, 03:55:03 pm »

If the problem continues after switching to JRVR (and rebooting), then it may be something other than madVR that is causing it.  It's just a test and the switch will take little time and is readily reversed.

I'll lock this thread after you've had a chance to test.

murray

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2022, 04:02:46 pm »

If the problem continues after switching to JRVR (and rebooting), then it may be something other than madVR that is causing it.  It's just a test and the switch will take little time and is readily reversed.

I'll lock this thread after you've had a chance to test.
We can't test this on JRVR as it doesn't have the function of Enhancements as madvr does.

Also this isn't just a problem for us its also happening to the new poster here bogdanbz and he runs JRVR, please can you read his post.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132806.msg920388.html#msg920388

murray

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2022, 04:14:42 pm »

I'm also using Theater View (with JRVR all the time, btw), and noticed that indeed sometimes keyboard and mouse inputs don't seem to be interpreted by MC anymore despite the fact that the video window is on top of everything else. (I think it used to/still does(?) happen when starting playback of a DVD or Bluray, if the playback was started by pressing Play on a ISO, or when MC has to download something first before starting playback, etc)

What I discovered is that if I cycle using F11 (yes, for some reason F11 is still interpreted by MC, while other keys such as arrow keys or Enter are not) between the video window -> the Theater View main view -> the last Theater View view before starting playback -> back to main video window, somehow this "resets" whatever state MC is in and it interprets all keyboard and mouse inputs again. Try it out!

As a side-note: if I got this right, MC actually makes use of two windows when in Theater View mode: the Theater View window, and the Display View window. The Theater View window is used to display the theater mode user interface, while the video is rendered in the Display View window. When someone starts playback of a video file from the Theater View window, MC switches from the Theater View window to the Display View window.

We have just tested F11 but it takes it out of Theatre View and brings up a different view, we cant use that key as we are screening to 12 people. We need a fix thats invisible and the only one that we can see would work is a left click that didnt pause the film.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2022, 04:22:53 pm »

I'm afraid I don't have a test scenario for this. I just tried with playing a DVD ISO and it did not happen this time. I do remember it happened to me in the past, but I don't remember how to reproduce this anymore.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2022, 04:23:41 pm »

What is the view that you need? Maybe there's another way to do it. 

murray

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2022, 04:24:58 pm »

What is the view that you need? Maybe there's another way to do it.
Thanks Jim, we always only use Theatre View.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2022, 04:26:08 pm »

bogdan's problem isn't the same.  His is probably a focus problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 04:30:10 pm »

What is the function you need?  What do you have the madVR script do?

murray

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2022, 05:22:33 pm »

What is the function you need?  What do you have the madVR script do?
We have been using two scripts from madvr Enhancements, call it sharpness 1 and sharpness 2, these have functioned perfectly on all the past earlier MC versions until we moved to MC29 a few weeks ago.
The keyboard numbers used for these are 3 and 4 which we operate through eventghost. We call these 3 = soft, 4 = sharp.
These stop working when sometimes MC29 isnt the focus window. The only way to make them function is to left click the film but as you know this pauses the film which we cant have when 12 people are in the cinema.

We have spent two weeks trying to resolve this issue hunting for anything on the keyboard. Some have said Alt Tab, F11, space, etc etc…nothing works.
If we could use left click without the film pause all is fixed, but MC29 doesn’t have that function. We always use only Theatre View.

We know the quick method to create the problem for testing:
Play film in Theatre View > pause film from top player OSD then press play > MC29 no longer the Focus window.
Left click over the film to pause, left click again over the film to play, Focus window now fixed.

But if there was a function that didn’t pause the film on a left click, issue resolved.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2022, 05:31:13 pm »

So the number keys are used to set some mode in madVR.  Right?

And you need MC to have the focus.  If you're playing from Theater View, it should already have the focus. 

So something (madVR?) has the focus instead?

Does that sound right?

You can set the view with ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ... ctrl-5 
Could you try that?

murray

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2022, 05:55:24 pm »

So the number keys are used to set some mode in madVR.  Right?

And you need MC to have the focus.  If you're playing from Theater View, it should already have the focus. 

So something (madVR?) has the focus instead?

Does that sound right?

You can set the view with ctrl-1, ctrl-2, ... ctrl-5 

sorry Jim this doesnt work...
ctrl-1 takes it to Cover View with the library, ctrl-2 takes it to mini view, ctrl-5 takes it to standard view.
Could you try that?

The only thing that fixes it is left click pause, but as Ive mentioned we cant do that when we have an audience viewing.
A Left click (option) that didnt pause the film would correct the problem.

Again all our past MC versions never did this.
Our madvr version is the same one we have been running this way for years and years.
This problem only started after moving to MC29 and updating Windows 10 all on the same day two weeks ago.
We have been trying everyday for two weeks to find a fix of our own and ripping our hair out in total frustration....
Thats when we started this thread  :(

The only fix we can find is the left mouse click but we dont want the film to pause. If JR had a tick box to allow a pause or not on a left click we are done and dusted and could move on....

We have been thinking of moving back to MC25 to get this one function working again but after two weeks of finally getting everything working from 25 to 29, it would be a real drag to now return to 25.... 

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2022, 06:15:11 pm »

Did you try ctrl-3 and 4?

We're not going to add an option.

murray

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2022, 06:33:50 pm »

Did you try ctrl-3 and 4?

We're not going to add an option.
ctrl-3 pauses the film and takes it to a small window on the right and the film text on the left.
ctrl-4 does exactly the same thing as 4.

We cant find anything to make MC29 function the same way all our past versions worked, something is different here as we are only trying to operate as we have for many years.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2022, 06:39:07 pm »

ctrl-4 should give you Theater View.

murray

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2022, 06:53:11 pm »

ctrl-4 should give you Theater View.
It does the same thing as 3 I said that, Ive tested it 5 times,,,,,,,, did you not test it yourself?

I posted in MC29 forum as we bought MC29, and thats where I expected to find help, thats what forums are for...

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 08:18:09 pm »

I haven't heard anybody mention this particular setting, so it might be worth giving it a shot. Go to Options/Theater View/Behavior. In the Behavior section there is a checkbox for Pause Video Playback When Entering Theater View.  Whatever the box check status is, toggle it to the other state and see if for some reason that magically solves your problem.

In regards to your frustration - we have all been there. We are convinced our problem (whatever it may be) lies with MC, because we have changed absolutely nothing else.  And sometimes that actually is the case. But you indicated that you also updated to Windows 10 at the same time, which means your entire computing environment has been irrevocably modified. Inevitably, how madVR interacts with your computer has also changed, whether madVR has been updated or not.

Expecting JRiver to readily resolve every issue that might arise among the billions of combinations of computing environments/user settings possible is both unrealistic and unfair. In addition, I am not convinced the problem you are experiencing is terribly widespread. I am certainly not able to reproduce the problem you're seeing (with and without the tweaks I mentioned in a previous post). The couple examples you gave where others are having issues - there are some similarities to what you're experiencing, but they are by no means the same.

The bottom line is, Jim and others are continuing to try and help.

And finally, have you tried reinstalling MC 27 with your new Windows 10 installation? That would certainly be an interesting test. If the same pause issue happens with the M27/Win10 combo, that would point to Windows 10 being the culprit. Anyway. Hang in there, I think eventually this problem will be solved.

murray

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2022, 08:33:30 pm »

I say thank you for not giving up and we will test your idea above and report back.

We updated Windows 10 on the same day as installing MC29 as Jmone told us to also do that....

murray

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2022, 08:45:15 pm »

I haven't heard anybody mention this particular setting, so it might be worth giving it a shot. Go to Options/Theater View/Behavior. In the Behavior section there is a checkbox for Pause Video Playback When Entering Theater View.  Whatever the box check status is, toggle it to the other state and see if for some reason that magically solves your problem.

We just tried that and as we went in there I just remembered we saw and tested that yesterday. Ive just tried it again and still it doesnt fix the issue Im sorry to say .....

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2022, 08:57:12 pm »

If you are in the middle of watching a movie, but MC doesn't have focus, something seems a bit off. Sometimes the focus can be stolen by a system tray item. If you do an alt-tab, it might give you a clue as to what seems to have focus.
Also, it seems like the problem is with MadVR, but you had a workaround. Now a feature of MC invalidates your workaround. However, the original issue is still with MadVR.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2022, 09:50:29 pm »

It does the same thing as 3 I said that, Ive tested it 5 times,,,,,,,, did you not test it yourself?
Yes.  It works.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2022, 09:56:50 pm »

murray,
Try to keep on track with the problem and leave the complaints to a minimum.  I've edited the posts above to try to remove the rants and leave the facts.

This thread was moved because, in my opinion, it's likely a madVR issue at the root.

murray

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2022, 10:54:32 pm »

If you are in the middle of watching a movie, but MC doesn't have focus, something seems a bit off. Sometimes the focus can be stolen by a system tray item. If you do an alt-tab, it might give you a clue as to what seems to have focus.
Also, it seems like the problem is with MadVR, but you had a workaround. Now a feature of MC invalidates your workaround. However, the original issue is still with MadVR.
Many thanks fitbrit but its not a madvr problem. We never mentioned we had a workaround for the problem using madvr in the past, thats totally incorrect, the function we were using in madvr worked perfectly on all our earlier versions of MC, it stopped when we went to MC29.

This afternoon we have gone back to MC25 and everything is working again.

Thanks for your input.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2022, 02:38:43 am »

Sorry, I misinterpreted this quote. The root cause is not MadVR but your script suddenly not working for no reason. Good luck with MC25 - it's great that purchased versions of MC continue to work forever, unlike subscription models.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2022, 03:48:24 pm »

@murray - there are some changes in V29.0.37 coming that will help.
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

murray

MC29 Problem
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2022, 08:17:07 pm »

Many thanks Hendrik for the latest update in 29.0.38 to address:
1. Changed: Focus will be given to the video player more consistently when starting video playback.
2. NEW: Added an option to toggle the Click to Pause behaviour in video playback (Video -> Advanced).

However we are still having exactly the same focus (or whatever one may call it), issue as we were before your update.
Our only “real” fix is to return back to MC25 again…….
We are doing exactly the same presentation we have done for many many years, first starting on MC21 then MC25, MC29 just wont allow us.
Something in the operation of MC29 (maybe to do with focus) is different to what it was in MC21 & MC25.

Something certainly behaves differently in MC29 that forces us to use MC25 as it works perfectly, for us…..
We would like to test future improvements you are making in MC29, but we just cant make MC29 (with the focus problem we are encountering) our favoured version.
Rather than going into a long winded discussion here and take up valuable space, I would prefer to PM you with full details and the way to break it, if you wish to test MC29 for yourself.

All the very Best Murray

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: MC29 Problem
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2022, 09:28:08 pm »

Test without madVR and report the result.  It's possible that something like antivirus is behaving differently with your scripts. Testing without madVR may tell us something.

Rather than going into a long winded discussion here and take up valuable space, I would prefer to PM you with full details and the way to break it, if you wish to test MC29 for yourself.
Please keep the discussion here, not in private messages.

Post any script you use here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2022, 08:35:34 am »

Did you test without madVR?  Can you post your scripts?

I'll move this to your original thread.

murray

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2022, 04:53:49 pm »

Did you test without madVR?  Can you post your scripts?

I'll move this to your original thread.
I told you in the last thread this cant be tested without madvr.

I told you in the last thread that the issue isn't with Windows 10, it isn't with madvr and it isn't antiviris.
All these three things work perfectly on MC25.

MC29 is different in some way and thats where we have the problem. I've also mentioned that we have reverted back to MC25 as it works perfectly.

I was trying to address hendrik on this as he's the video expert here.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2022, 05:02:41 pm »

Click to pause is now optional, so whatever work-around you used in MC25 that includes clicking on it automatically, you can also use here again.

Otherwise you have not given any details other then "its broken", which is not something we can work with.

If you want to automate madVR, it also has a network interface you can use to talk to it, which would be reliable in all scenarios.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up