INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup Problems  (Read 3054 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
Setup Problems
« on: April 21, 2022, 01:53:06 pm »

basic question I'm sure.

How do you set up the network?  I tried using option 13 Network manager and clicking on my 5 ghz connection.  It says Obtaining IP address but then quits after about a minute.

I looked in Config but frankly don't have a clue what should or shouldn't be checked in that long list and where to enter the network password.   I tried saving the password in Key but couldn't exit or save from the dialog box.  Enter didn't get the cursor to move down to Save

Any advice and more details on how to configure the network is appreciated.  Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setup Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 02:01:49 pm »

What is "password info"?

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 02:04:29 pm »

What is "password info"?
My wifi password

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 02:49:33 pm »

Don't post any private details.

Try turning off the wired connection.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 03:26:37 pm »

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 04:30:19 pm »

Update - after entering the wifi password I lucked into hitting the Up Arrow which then allowed me to save the wifi PW and now I am connected.   That (Up Arrow after entering PW) was the missing piece of information for me.  haha - I can laugh now though I do have a few more gray hairs and less hair from pulling some out.  On to the next part.  Whew.   

Split Wireless Setup
  I'm sorry Jim but I'm flailing here. 

1. How do I turn off wired connection?

Thanks! 

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 05:06:30 pm »

I got the Id connected to the wifi.  I can see it on Windows 10 network in File Explorer.  I think I transferred a folder of music over.  My issue now is I am stuck in the Network setup screen and don't know how to get back to the Main Menu on the Id. 

And, when I 2x the Id in File Explorer it keeps insisting I change the name which I don't want to do in case that causes some other problem I don't understand yet.  So, I cannot open the file structure in WinExplore to see if my folder transferred and start to understand how that is setup. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 05:11:56 pm »

Pull the power cable if you have to.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 05:13:52 pm »

It's an Id, not an iD.  Rhymes with kid.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 05:17:21 pm »

Pull the power cable if you have to.
  what does this mean?   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 05:19:01 pm »

Remove the cable from the power supply to the computer.  Wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.  The Id should boot.

Are you running in GUI mode?  Or text only.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 05:46:53 pm »

Remove the cable from the power supply to the computer.  Wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.  The Id should boot.

Are you running in GUI mode?  Or text only.
  I told Id to reboot and after reboot got into the main menu.  Then pressed 1 for GUI.  Then I could see JRiver MC (yeah!) 

Questions:
1.  On my Windows network I see three iterations of Id.  a) ID-xxxxxx  b) ID-xxxxxx(NoConversion)    c)ID-xxxxxx(PCML16)   Should I be seeing all these?  If I am dragging and dropping files to the Id which one do I use? 

2.  The Id came installed with MC28.  I already purchased 29 and am using it on my two PC's.  Can/should I upgrade the Id?  Can I use my already purchased reg code from MC29? 

3. I plan on using Windows Remote Access to control the Id.  Anything to know about that?

Thanks for your help and patience! 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 05:50:34 pm »

MC29 isn't on the Id yet.  Just wait.  You'll get it when you check for updates sometime in the near future.

Don't use Remote Access until you get everything running  A keyboard and mouse are helpful during setup.

Those are different servers on the Id.  Just drag a file to the Id.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 06:20:13 pm »

Those are different servers on the Id.  Just drag a file to the Id.
  Thanks for staying with me.  So, I now see the Id on the Network as a computer instead of just a Media Device.  I see it has External and Internal Storage.  I looked at both of these thinking one would show as the 1 TB drive that is supposed to be installed, but, I am not seeing either one showing as I would expect a drive.  I was trying to figure out which one to drag my music files to. 

Any advice what is going on here? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 06:42:21 pm »

The wiki has a topic on Media Network.

Under Playing Now on any other computer running MC on the network, you'll find renderers in the top part of Playing Now and servers in the bottom part.

Any drive on the NUC won't show media unless you put it there.

It might help if you'd explain what you want to do with the Id.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 08:16:08 pm »

It might help if you'd explain what you want to do with the Id.
  My goal is to transfer about 500gb of music files along with all the current playlists I have on MC that reside on my PC.  I am planning to then use Id/MC to play directly to my current stereo system.  I want to have the ability to easily add new music via the wifi using Remote Desktop to control the Id and also rate songs, create new playlists, and modify playlists on the Id installed MC. 

I'm not planning to do anything with video files.  The Id will be my music player direct to my stereo via cable.  Updating of music files and MC playlists, ratings, etc will be done on the Id.  My PC will become the backup.  And, with this setup I get rid of the DLNA streaming to an old Sony Media box and the problems with 2.4 ghz wifi getting interrupted and stuttering from time-to-time and causing MC to crash. 

I am really looking forward to this setup config of my music. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2022, 09:36:30 pm »

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 12:02:49 am »

Have you been here?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide
Yes - I got that link when purchasing and have read through it several times.  This is the section I am on now........ If you want your files stored on the Id itself, you can do this by finding the Id on your network, using Explorer or Finder. Look for Network, then devices. Find the Id, then use drag and drop or copy and paste to move files. Try a few before you do very many. The Id may need to be told to auto-import the files from the location where you move them.   

I am just confused by the way the file structure is presenting in Windows Explorer as I explained before.  I see some file folders have already been created.  It isn't clear to me where to drag the music folders to and what internal and external storage is and why I don't see the 1 TB drive.  I am a Windows person and so how things are showing up is a bit confusing.

So, where do I drag and drop the music folders to?  The instructions don't give that detail in a way I understand. 

Thanks for all the help so far. 

BradATIMA

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 08:07:10 am »

For putting music onto the Id, you'll want to use InternalStorage. ExternalStorage is where things like USB drives will show up.

You most likely want to put music somewhere like InternalStorage\media. You should be able to see two sample files in that directory already.

You can also add your own folder structure there, but I wouldn't advise deleting any folders that you haven't created.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 11:18:45 am »

For putting music onto the Id, you'll want to use InternalStorage. ExternalStorage is where things like USB drives will show up.

You most likely want to put music somewhere like InternalStorage\media. You should be able to see two sample files in that directory already.

Thanks! that worked nicely.  Transferred 10 folders of music in no problem to the Media folder. 

I am on to The Id supports the Remote Desktop protocol so programs like VNC can connect to it.
Using Windows 10 Remote Desktop (RD) program I found the Id on the network and using the Id-xxxxxxx name on the network it connected no problem.  AFter logging in the Id main menu popped up.  I selected 1. GUI and can see MC though the rendering is a little off on my screen.  I am learning that the Id is slow and I need to be more patient waiting for a response but figured out through trial and error how to adjust the window size.  The rendering of fonts in MC is a little distorted - is there any setting for the display I should use?  It is OK and completely functional - just asking. 

It seems selecting GUI is the right choice.  Is this correct when using RD to access?

BradATIMA

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2022, 01:12:51 pm »

The remote server for the Id is always in GUI mode, regardless of whether the Id is booted in GUI mode or headless text mode. If you don't plan to have a monitor connected to the Id, it's probably best to leave it in headless text mode. Connecting to it with remote desktop or VNC will always display GUI mode.

Try rebooting the Id in headless text mode (option 2) and then connecting to it remotely and see if that helps with the distortion. If not, you could try adjusting the size scaling in Media Center under View.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2022, 02:23:35 pm »

The remote server for the Id is always in GUI mode, regardless of whether the Id is booted in GUI mode or headless text mode. If you don't plan to have a monitor connected to the Id, it's probably best to leave it in headless text mode. Connecting to it with remote desktop or VNC will always display GUI mode.

Try rebooting the Id in headless text mode (option 2) and then connecting to it remotely and see if that helps with the distortion. If not, you could try adjusting the size scaling in Media Center under View.
  Thanks! 

Once I copy all the music files over I want to use the same playlists I have setup in MediaCenter on the Windows PC.  What is the easiest way to do this?  I was thinking I could backup the MC/PC library and then restore it on the Id.  And, then in Tools>Options>File Location>Audio change this to the path on the Id where the music now resides. 

Is this the best way?
  There seems to be many other options under File > Library like Sync, Portable, Export and then more options under Library Manager.   I want to do this the easiest way possible so that all the playlists I have created (very extensive) can be ported over to the Id with a minimum post-transfer editing. 

For reference, the Id and PC are on the same home network.  The goal is to have the Id be the primary repository of music and the player of music.  The PC is where music gets ripped and then transferred over and is the backup.  So, the two systems ideally mirror each other.   

Thanks again!

2nd Issue - the Remote Desktop was working great until I disconnected it and tried to reconnect.  Now I am getting this Connection Log that is detailing some kind of problem  5th time the charm - could be a problem with my internet because right after that I had an issue on my PC.  If that log is indicative of anything I should correct let me know.  Otherwise I will chock up to a flaky internet connection for now.   

BradATIMA

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 03:27:41 pm »

Are the playlists regular playlists or smartlists?

Transferring smartlists are somewhat easy. This can probably be done just by creating a library back-up and restoring it on the Id. Another method is to export the smartlists, transfer them to the Id, and then import them. It's easier because smartlists rely on tags.

Regular playlists are much more complicated. The problem is regular playlists rely on paths to the music file. When things get moved around, those paths change. So, transferring a playlists would require updating all the paths in the playlist.

The best way that I know of is to export a playlist and make sure 'Store paths relative to exported playlist' is checked. Then, as long as the playlist is store in the same directory relative to the music files, and the music files use the same directory structure, it should still work. You might also need to export the playlist as an MPL playlist because Windows and Linux use different file path separators, but I believe MPLs can translate between the two.

There might be some people on the Linux board of the forum that know better ways to do this, but it's not something I've done much.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2022, 03:42:28 pm »

Are the playlists regular playlists or smartlists?
   Both, though mostly regular.   

Regular playlists are much more complicated. The problem is regular playlists rely on paths to the music file. When things get moved around, those paths change. So, transferring a playlists would require updating all the paths in the playlist.

The best way that I know of is to export a playlist and make sure 'Store paths relative to exported playlist' is checked. Then, as long as the playlist is store in the same directory relative to the music files, and the music files use the same directory structure, it should still work. You might also need to export the playlist as an MPL playlist because Windows and Linux use different file path separators, but I believe MPLs can translate between the two. 
  Thanks - sounds a little more tedious than I was hoping but will give it a go.  I tried downloading all playlists as MPL and checked the "relative" box.  I've got about 50 but will try importing a couple and see if they work.  Thx!   

There might be some people on the Linux board of the forum that know better ways to do this, but it's not something I've done much.
  OK - if I don't get any other answers in a day or two, I will cross-post there.  Thanks!

BradATIMA

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2022, 04:43:50 pm »

Here is the simplest scenario I can think of that might work for regular playlists (I make some assumptions though).

Let's say you have a folder called 'Music' and inside it is your entire music collection (The folder structure of your music collection doesn't matter in this case).

If you create a folder called 'Playlists' inside the 'Music' folder and then export all regular playlists as MPL, with relative paths, into the 'Playlists' folder, then move that 'Music' folder, as is, to the Id InternalStorage/media folder, it might work. Then, you'll just need to import the playlists and see if it works.

The basic idea is to make sure that the playlists on the Id are in the same location relative to your music as they were when you exported the playlists on your Windows machine.

Let me know if you have any luck. I'd like to know if this method works because it's probably the easiest.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2022, 05:30:21 pm »

Here is the simplest scenario I can think of that might work for regular playlists (I make some assumptions though).

Let's say you have a folder called 'Music' and inside it is your entire music collection (The folder structure of your music collection doesn't matter in this case).

If you create a folder called 'Playlists' inside the 'Music' folder and then export all regular playlists as MPL, with relative paths, into the 'Playlists' folder, then move that 'Music' folder, as is, to the Id InternalStorage/media folder, it might work. Then, you'll just need to import the playlists and see if it works.

The basic idea is to make sure that the playlists on the Id are in the same location relative to your music as they were when you exported the playlists on your Windows machine.

Let me know if you have any luck. I'd like to know if this method works because it's probably the easiest.
   Thanks - I will give it a try in the next 2-3 days and let you know.  I do have all my music in a folder called Music.  I have not tried to create folders in the Id yet - hopefully it is not difficult. 

I went into the Id menu and didn't see anyway to create a new folder named Music.  Tried to do it from Explorer on my Network from the PC and the Id said I didn't have Permission.   I don't see any instructions on the Install Guide for this.  Any advice on how to create a new Folder?   

Update - I tried this for one recent regular playlist.  I had a playlist called April 2022 and I copied over the music folders added in April 2022.  I followed your instructions for where to save it on the PC and where to place it on the Id.  I was able to create a sub-folder called Music under Media. (I still cannot figure out how to create folders on the next level up).  When importing the Playlist on the Id there is an issue with some of the info being off-screen on the left and it was difficult to get to the file but with some playing around I got to it and imported the Playlist and it seemed to work.  It definitely populated it though I have not checked to make sure it is exactly the same.  This gives me confidence to try this with a larger sample size of music files.  thanks!   

Question (likely crazy) - if this works, do you think the Sync Library functionality would work going forward.  Could I Sync the PC MC library with Id MC library? 

Another Question - once the Id is my primary player, how will I get ratings made on the Id back to MC on the PC?   

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2022, 01:31:42 pm »

Having a network issue.  The desktop Win 10 PC sees the Id in Explorer/Network.  The Win 10 laptop only sees the Id as a media server and it doesn't show in Network.  I tried the Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Enable SMB 1.0 as recommended in another thread. 

This didn't work.  Is there something else to try or troubleshoot? 

BradATIMA

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 10:40:59 am »

If you're trying to move files to it, try this.

In File Explorer on the Windows machine, in the bar at the top that displays the path, enter something like this:

\\[IP address of the Id]\InternalStorage

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 11:20:30 pm »

If you're trying to move files to it, try this.

In File Explorer on the Windows machine, in the bar at the top that displays the path, enter something like this:

\\[IP address of the Id]\InternalStorage
Thanks - that works!
Pages: [1]   Go Up