INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Create a WMC Compatible Skin/Layout for Theatre View  (Read 1280 times)

chrisk

Create a WMC Compatible Skin/Layout for Theatre View
« on: May 04, 2022, 09:08:21 pm »

Hi,
I am an avid WMC user, have been using this for over 10 years and 3 different Television in my house. Everyone loves the look and ease of use with the software. I must admit, it is the best piece of software that has come out of Microsoft (and they killed it :'( ). The best thing about WMC is that is works seamlessly with a mouse, there is no need for me to have a PC compatible Remote Control, I just use a wireless mouse.

So I am looking for a replacement Media Center, JRiver comes close for watching Movies and Music, but falls far short when it comes to Live TV :(. However I bet it is possible to create a skin/theme that has the same mouse support and accessibility that WMC has. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

Some things I am looking for, while watch Live TV in Theatre View (for full mouse support):

• button to show the EPG without stopping the current program playing
  • in the info bar, show the name of the program playing, as well as the current tv station (already does this)
  • in the info bar, show the time that the current program started and the end time in the progress bar. Not just some random progress of the tv buffer file
  • in the info bar, the progress bar to show where in the current timeframe the video is at, so let's say a program started at 6PM and finishes at 7PM, and the time is now 6:30, the progress bar should be at 50%
  • in the info bar, the progress bat to indicate how much of the program is in the buffer, so have some bold indication of what is on disk and can be scrolled through - best to see WMC in action to understand this
  • need buttons to skip forward and backward in the program - not change channels like it does now
  • need buttons to play in slow motion and fast speed (ideally the 2x speed is really important)
  • need buttons to Record the current program or subscribe to the current program (double click)

I would expect all these to become visible in the pop-up status panel when the mouse is moved to the edge of the screen.

So can all this be achieved? I am happy to give it a go if instructions are available....

I am really hoping that JRiver MC can be used as a replacement for WMC, but only if the above items can be achieved....

I have attached a screenshot of the WMC UI showing everything I would like...

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Create a WMC Compatible Skin/Layout for Theatre View
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 07:10:06 am »

Have you tried both Theater View and Standard View?  Both can be used with a mouse. 

Give them a try for a few days.  Changing MC to work like WMC is probably not going to be very satisfying.  There is a lot of flexibility in MC, but it will never be the same.

You might also try a keyboard or any device that has a D-Pad.  You can navigate through Theater View with up, down, left, right, and OK buttons on any device.  See also OSD (On Screen Display) on the wiki.

Pages: [1]   Go Up