INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import to library - files missed  (Read 453 times)

psychlone

• Recent member
Import to library - files missed
« on: May 14, 2022, 07:42:38 am »

Having searched the forum, I'm unable to find an answer to my question.  If it's already been asked and answered, apologies, and please point me to the relevant post(s).

With MC29, in both Windows 10 and Linux MX19, when I tried importing files to the library, a lot of files were not imported (although a great many more were).  In Windows, MC29 told me the number that had failed to import because the filepath was too long, plus the number of other files that were 'skipped' (no reason given);  in Linux, it just told me the number of files that had failed to import.  I was unable to get any more information than this about the files that failed to import. My question is:  Is there any way of finding out from MC29, in Windows and/or Linux, which files failed to import?  (I appreciate that in the case of files whose filepaths were too long, that's unlikely, although a partial filepath could potentially be useful.)

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give.

(I'm not sure of the etiquette for this forum, but I'm posting this question separately in both the Windows and Linux sections of the forum.)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Import to library - files missed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 02:16:11 pm »

Since nobody answered, I assume the answer to your main question is "no".  But I'm also interested in what qualifies a file to be reported as "skipped" or "failed to import".  I have had files in an import folder that were not video, audio, or image... and they just didn't import...  but there was no detail like "skipped".  The file just wasn't counted in the "Imported X new files" number.  Sorry I'm no help but maybe someone will chime in.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 03:01:57 pm »

Tools > Options > General > Support Long Filenames.

Shortening folder names may also help.

Some files, whose media type can't be determined, may be imported to Data instead of Audio or Video.  You can find them in MC under Data and edit the Media Type and Sub-type tags.  You may need to add Data.  Take a look at the wiki on tagging.

psychlone

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 02:07:09 pm »

@badger:  Thanks for your reply - I appreciate it.  I'm completely new to MC, so I have no idea what qualifies a file to be reported as skipped.  I did check an option not to import certain files (I think they were referred to as 'special'), so maybe it was reporting the number of such files.  Well, the world is a mysterious place, and this is probably one of those mysteries that will always remain so.

@JimH:  Thanks for your reply and for the information.  I noticed that both Windows and Linux versions already had  Support Extra Long Filenames checked by default, so I guess I can't get any improvement there.  You're certainly right about the folder names - but as I have about 20 000 folders, I'd been hoping for an indication from MC29 of which ones needed attention.

The good news is that I've now discovered a way around the issue that works in the Windows version of MC29, though not, apparently, in Linux. The solution will probably be of no interest to anyone else, since it involves not using a library at all; however, it suits me perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up