INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swap Library  (Read 1271 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
Swap Library
« on: May 26, 2022, 10:01:20 am »

What is the easiest way to switch libraries between two Wifi linked devices?  Currently main library is on PC and is synced with Id.  Music is played from the Id to a Preamp. Music files are duped on both systems.   

Desired:  Switch main library to Id and use PC as a backup and to occasionally play from the Id. 

I tried cloning the PC library to the Id but when I loaded it none of the playlists were there - in fact, it seemed nothing showed up at all.   

Or, as in another thread here about a new computer, should I backup the PC library and then restore it on the Id? 

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
Re: Swap Library
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 01:13:56 pm »

I tried backing up the PC library and then restoring on the Id.  In checking the file locations under Options>File locations everything seems to be pointing to the right places.  However, nothing is displaying - no playlists, music, etc.  This is the display for the backup library restored on the Id

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 03:00:11 pm »

The case of the directory names would matter.  Linux doesn't treat them the same as Windows does.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 04:04:57 pm »

I've done what you're trying to do a few times.  It's kinda messy.  As Jim said, you have case sensitivity on Linux that Windows doesn't.  Then forward / slashes instead of back \ slashes.  You can export all your playlists and then edit with notepad or something similar to change all the "slashes", and adjust the path to whatever the id wants.  If your tags are "in the files", I'd re-import to the Id and make a new library.  And as we've recommended before... one set of files is easier to work with than two.  Pick one master file location and library and work from there.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:52:51 pm »

If your tags are "in the files", I'd re-import to the Id and make a new library.
I don't understand what tags "in the files" means.  Sometimes genres are set prior to import and sometimes I do that inside MC.  Is that the kind of tag you are talking about?

Can you elaborate on re-import to the Id and make a new library?  All the music files are on the Id.  My need is getting the playlist, ratings and tags from the MC library on the PC onto/into the Id library. 

And as we've recommended before... one set of files is easier to work with than two.  Pick one master file location and library and work from there.
Agree with you here.  After running this for about a month, I realized having the Id as the Master unit is what I need.   That will make my life much simpler because then I don't need to keep the PC on all the time. The Id uses much less power and is way more portable.  Running MC from the Id has turned out to be fairly simple especially with M0 4Media.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 07:12:18 am »

Read about tagging on the wiki.  There is a setting in MC to store tags in files or not.  Not all file types can store tags.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 10:56:39 am »

Read about tagging on the wiki.  There is a setting in MC to store tags in files or not.  Not all file types can store tags.
  For me, I struggle with the Wiki due to links to links to links of info and few/no recommendations of what to do depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I read at least four different Wiki entries about tags and still don't understand how the metadata is linked to an audio file, where it is stored, and what determines it's behavior in MC and external files (flac, mp3, etc).  I worked with integrating enterprise systems writing and testing use-cases, writing documentation, and teaching users for Oracle, Metaphase, part number systems, tech manufacturing data collection systems for process data, data analysis software, etc, etc and am used to looking at these things but MC wiki articles just baffle me and make me feel stupid.  That is why I find the forum so much more useful for solving problems.  The settings for tags are at the default (I don't remember ever changing). Attached pic shows what I have.   

I've invested at least 8 hours in reading wikis, other postings, cloning libraries, syncing libraries, creating new libraries, and have basically gotten nowhere. IDK what to do.  It seems that with all the capability in MC that there should be some straight-forward methodology for getting playlists, ratings, tags from a library on one PC migrated to a local library on another. 

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 11:45:11 am »

It seems that with all the capability in MC that there should be some straight-forward methodology for getting playlists, ratings, tags from a library on one PC migrated to a local library on another.
From PC to PC yes.  Simply restore a library backup from one PC to the other (helps if the path to your files is the same).  But I don't think an MC library backup on a PC will completely translate to the Linux MC on the Id.  that's why I suggested re-importing the files.  It does appear you have MC set up to store tags in the files ( I believe that is the default).  Keep in mind that your two sets of files/tracks are not the same... as you've been tagging the PC files and not the Id files (my assumption)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 01:10:30 pm »

I thought there was a path for cross platform library restoration? I'm windows only so have never used it or needed it, and don't know how to access it, but I'm sure it's a thing? Isn't it?

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 01:29:52 pm »

I thought there was a path for cross platform library restoration? I'm windows only so have never used it or needed it, and don't know how to access it, but I'm sure it's a thing? Isn't it?
I thought so also.... but I searched and couldn't find anything on it.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 04:30:49 pm »

From PC to PC yes.  Simply restore a library backup from one PC to the other (helps if the path to your files is the same).  But I don't think an MC library backup on a PC will completely translate to the Linux MC on the Id.  that's why I suggested re-importing the files.  It does appear you have MC set up to store tags in the files ( I believe that is the default).  Keep in mind that your two sets of files/tracks are not the same... as you've been tagging the PC files and not the Id files (my assumption)
  This is exactly what I thought I did.  Backed up the PC library.  Restored it on the Id.  Imported all the files into the new library created on the Id (this was mandatory because nothing was auto-imported even though the file location pointed to the proper folder). 

Result - only a very small subset of songs had ratings and from a quick audit nothing rated in the last 2.5 years.  No playlists showed up at all.  Here is a pic of the file locations tab from the Id with the PC backed-up library loaded on the Id. 

If this method of restoring a library backup from the PC to the Id should work maybe I just need to try it again. There could have been some unknown file corruption or ?

Thanks for the feedback!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 06:02:25 pm »

Backup on Windows and restore on Linux should be working but I noticed that you also imported and that's not necessary.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 06:40:25 pm »

Metadata (cover art, name, artist, etc.) is always stored in the MC library (database). 

It can, and usually is, stored in the file properties, at least for most common audio formats.  There's a setting that tells MC to do that, I prefer it on.  Some people don't, but that's how you can end up with a problem like yours.

There are library tools that can write MC's library data to the file or get it from the file.
File tagging tools here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

Bottom line.  If you don't understand it, you have to read.  Just like I would have to read about Oracle.

In your situation, I'd go back to Windows and use the Library Tools to fill all the file tags.  Then try to backup on Windows and restore on Linux.

Don't forget the possibility that any file locations could be causing trouble if the case doesn't match.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 08:43:51 pm »

Thanks JimH and badger.  Maybe I am getting to the problem.  It is likely just my fumbling with Linux on the Id.  I realized that the main issue is saving the PC backup file onto the Id and then finding that zip file to Restore.  I created a file folder on the Id from Windows File Explorer on the PC and saved the PC Library there.  But, I cannot see that library on the Id from MC and even if I manually type in the address and name - no dice, Id MC will not recognize that.   

So, I tried to save the PC Library Backup in the Id location it keeps defaulting to for restoring a backup (see attached Pic) but then I get a message I don't have permission.  I'm in Catch-22.  Looked through the Id menu for some way to change permissions but don't see anything there.  Tried changing permissions by unchecking Read Only using Windows 3x and got an error message each time. 

I tried rebooting the Id to see if the folder created from the windows PC shows up but while I can see it on Windows File Explorer it seems to be hidden on the Id.  Previously what caused my confusion is I saw a backup for the Id Library and confused it with the one from the PC which is why all the metadata didn't show up - I never loaded the PC library in the first place. 

Had MC on the PC save the backup directly to the Id which it dutifully performed but I cannot see that one either.  So, I have tried manually copying and pasting the Backup Library and having it saved directly by MC on the PC.  In both cases Id MC doesn't see it.   On the Id, I tried checking show hidden files, browsing with the File Manager, and every other thing I could think to try.   I also tried saving the PC Library Backup in the Media folder on the Id and still - can't see it to load when using MC on the Id.

Looks like I am quite over my head on how Linux, Windows and MC play together.  I need some advice on getting the zip file backup from the PC to the Id and in a place MC on the Id will let me navigate to.   Is there an alternative way to get the PC library over to the Id than how I am doing it?  Or, is there an elegant (praying) work-around? 

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 03:30:18 pm »

I think you're gonna need the help of a linux MC user (or linux expert) to help figure out how to get the PC backup file to the appropriate place on the id.  Unfortunately, that person is not me.  I used to have an Id PI that had a desktop that was useful for copying and transferring files over the network, but with SMB, mounting, permissions, etc., it was always kind of a mystery to me.  Wish I could help, but maybe this will bump up your question and someone in the know will respond.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2022, 10:28:01 am »

I think you're gonna need the help of a linux MC user (or linux expert) to help figure out how to get the PC backup file to the appropriate place on the id.  Unfortunately, that person is not me. 
Thanks badger.  Hopefully, such a person shows up because I tried everything using my very limited knowledge. 

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2022, 04:37:03 pm »

Here are a couple pictures showing the differences in views of the folder on the Id through Linux and from the PC viewing the same folder using windows 10.  The Windows 10 view (top pic) shows the two different Library backups I have copy/pasted over to the Id. 

The Id view (bottom pic) is what MC on the Id shows when looking for the file to restore.  No backups are shown at all on the Id.  Huge difference in what each file system sees/doesn't see.   

Can anyone help me restore a PC (Win10) library backup on an Id (Linux)? 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 09:15:47 am »

Looking at the file browser in the second picture, you are in /home/media.
The base of the files on the SMB share (which is the large partition of the Id) is
/export/media.
Choose export from the list on the left and you will see the backups under media.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 09:30:29 pm »

Looking at the file browser in the second picture, you are in /home/media.
The base of the files on the SMB share (which is the large partition of the Id) is
/export/media.
Choose export from the list on the left and you will see the backups under media.
Thank-you!  I would never have figured that out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up