INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roon acquired by Harman International  (Read 3684 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Roon acquired by Harman International
« on: November 29, 2023, 03:44:19 am »

HARMAN Acquires Roon, a popular Multi-Device, Multi-Room Audio Technology Platform

November 27, 2023

Roon’s Audiophile-Quality Music Aggregation, Connectivity and Streaming Technology to Complement HARMAN’s Comprehensive Audio Offerings
STAMFORD, CT – November 27, 2023 – HARMAN, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. focused on connected technologies for automotive, consumer, and enterprise markets, today announced the acquisition of Roon, the music management, discovery, and streaming platform for music enthusiasts.

More here https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-acquires-roon-a-popular-multi-device-multi-room-audio-technology-platform

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Roon acquired by Harman International
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:30:55 am »

... the music management, discovery, and streaming platform for music enthusiasts
Most of that was technology from other companies.  And "music enthusiasts" is a little broad.  Roon is a very well regarded company in a narrow niche (audiophiles).

Acquisitions of small software businesses by big companies often don't go very well.  Musicmatch had a lot of buzz when Yahoo acquired it.  Winamp ...

Nonetheless, it's a very happy ending for the owners and investors of Roon.  Congratulations to a very worthy competitor.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:01:16 am »

Most of that was technology from other companies.  And "music enthusiasts" is a little broad.  Roon is a very well regarded company in a narrow niche (audiophiles).

Acquisitions of small software businesses by big companies often don't go very well.  Musicmatch had a lot of buzz when Yahoo acquired it.  Winamp ...

Nonetheless, it's a very happy ending for the owners and investors of Roon.  Congratulations to a very worthy competitor.

Since the new owner is a division of Samsung, there is concern that Roon hardware partners will object to funding their competition.  Also, you may see some key employees jump ship.   

It's a wait & see.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 09:19:21 am »

They sold their previous company, Sooloos, to Meridian Audio.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/meridian-audio-acquires-sooloos

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 12:20:28 pm »

They sold their previous company, Sooloos, to Meridian Audio.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/meridian-audio-acquires-sooloos

Good memory...I remember that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up