INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record scratch: Ikea now sells turntables  (Read 1768 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Record scratch: Ikea now sells turntables
« on: June 12, 2022, 03:35:46 pm »

Ikea is introducing a fresh take on a product it hasn't sold since 1973: The record player.

Introduced as part of the upcoming Obergränsad collection, the turntable was designed in collaboration with Swedish electronic music group Swedish House Mafia, and serves as a reminder of how much vinyl has surged in the past several years.

Record collecting has been growing in the past few years to the point where in 2021, Statista said, LP sales jumped by more than 50 percent year-over-year to beat both digital and CD album sales. Keeping it in context, that figure shrinks to a meager 4.7 percent when streaming and downloading of music is included.

Over the past year, vinyl sales spiked another 61 percent and topped $1 billion for the first time in more than 35 years, with the top-selling records coming from new artists like Adele, Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish....

In other words, those who are serious about actually owning a physical music collection are reaching into the analog past for the technology to do it, and most weren't even alive when records were the standard format. It's young people buying the records and the players, boosting not only vinyl sales, but the new turntable market as well - it reached $361 million in 2020....

https://www.theregister.com/2022/06/11/ikea_record_player/

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

larryrup

• World Citizen
Re: Record scratch: Ikea now sells turntables
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 03:34:12 pm »

I loved records.  Having lived through the various formats, my memory is pretty clear that LP's sounded way better than CD's, at least for much of the 1st decade of the CD.  I say the greatest audio attribute of the LP was the presence the sound had. It's been quite a while since I've listened to a record but I imagine they still have this. Somewhere in the 80's I stopped buying records. My heart wasn't in it, but seemed at the time the wise think to do.  I wasn't all that happy for a while.  Some of those older recordings that were converted to CD were pretty terrible.

What I miss most about records beside the actual listening, is getting intimate with the whole album.  I'm too track driven now, at least I cannot seem to break that habit.  I guess the IPOD really caused the mix or shuffle habit.  I miss the album jackets, both for the photos and mostly  the liner notes.  I thought for sure CD's would have a liner notes replacement...something like a PDF included with the CD.  That never happened.  Any time you saw a photo that happened to be on a LP jacket you immediately identified with the record it was on.  Same with a musicians that contributed to the recording.  Back in the day album jackets, especially the fold out ones, were great to remove seeds from....well you know.  I kept 4 crates of the most iconic albums.  I found that even these they had little no resale value, and I cannot imagine listening to them as I did not take very good care.  Pretty sure the scratches and surface noise would drive me crazy.   I moved a few years ago and disposed of hundreds and hundreds of albums.  The City Recyling rules said vinyl in the metal and plastic pale and the jackets in the paper pale, so I had one last look at them as I separated.  Just  from a quick look at the jacket, I remembered with tracks I loved from the lesser good ones.  It was a nostalgic, melancholy  afternoon.

I'm all for a cozy evening with some records.  Do you think the record resurgence is purely the sound, or the overall experience of sitting back with a side or two of an album?

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 06:06:29 pm »

Do they even have albums nowadays?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 01:37:34 am »

Do they even have albums nowadays?
They have pretty much everything.  Toothpaste aisle, for example.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 05:43:46 pm »

...  Do you think the record resurgence is purely the sound, or the overall experience of sitting back with a side or two of an album?...
Larry

From what I've read, a lot of the popularity of records is because of the ability to have the album cover in your hand, and read it as you listen, i.e., the tactile feeling and visual aspect of having something physical representing the music you are listening to.

Also, like you, I had been album-side oriented, but now seem to be more track oriented.  When I first started ripping my vinyl, I had just ripped them to "side 1" and "side 2" (more for multi-disc albums, or in the case of a Firesign Theater album, "side1" "side 2" and "side 3" for a single disc album.

Nowadays, I tend to be more track-oriented, but sometimes with a theme in place.

And yes, vinyl albums are still being issued by some current bands (Caamp, for instance).

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 08:37:44 am »

there are some that will always be Album oriented, Like

Dreamboat Annie (1975), Hotel California 1976 ect...

the new stuff is not the same to me, I am not trapped in the '70s Music but somehow it means more to have the whole album.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 08:13:35 pm »

Grew up on Vinyl but now a full digital convert. Have boxes of vinyl but may need to go to Ikea to get something to play them on.

To quote the poet Keith Richards: "You can't roll a joint on the back of an MP3 player."

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 02:44:25 pm »

That is not to say, I did not get track driven by attempting mix tapes from records, to either a cassette or reel tape.  I do remember taking a lot of abuse over my terrible queuing.  Twas not easy in the analog days!  Oh, we had it tough in the olden days.

Larry

Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 07:13:10 pm »

... Twas not easy in the analog days! ...

I still remember the splicing block I used to piece together a mix tape by physically piecing together a mix tape.

:)

=========

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 07:24:03 pm »

I still remember the splicing block I used to piece together a mix tape by physically piecing together a mix tape.

You were dedicated.

I did have a nice stereo back when I was a private in the army, replaced the needle with a Pickering needle. 500 watts.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 07:43:31 pm »

You were dedicated.

Ya do what ya need to do.  Focus on the goal.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 07:47:16 pm »

... and, fwiw, I am so glad that that splicing block is a distant memory.

Sonic Factory's Sound Forge (now owned by a different, marketing-oriented company) is now a mainstay for me.

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up