INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OLED Burn-In  (Read 1846 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
OLED Burn-In
« on: July 24, 2022, 08:15:15 am »

When using OLED TV, is burn-in a concern when displaying JRiver views for several hours a day?  Certain areas, such as the action window area remain static regardless of switching to a new view, but is this type of static information what could lead to burn-in? 

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: OLED Burn-In
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 08:30:32 am »

Any static image held on an emissive screen for extended times can lead to image issues like burn in. Go over to AVSForum.com and do a search for "oled burn in" and you'll get a lot of discussions. If I'm running music on MC for long periods of time I just turn off my TV.

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 08:35:17 am »

Every static picture could burn in over a very long time by an OLED.

This needs to stay really every day for many hours and this for weeks or months.  But, normally an OLED must have mechanism to reduce this, like dimming down brightness if the picture doesnt make any changes for longer time, or pixel shifting, mean picture is moving slowly and normally not visible some pixel left  and right and up and down.

To reduce the possibility of an burn in too you can (or should) use an skin without extreme differences in brightness and colors between the single areas of the screen.

My English is not perfect, so be merciful with me

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 08:37:30 am »

EDIT

davelr  also posts a good possibility.

If you listen to music longer time switch of screen of you tv. Most OLED TVs have an function to turn of screen only for those situations, and it turns back on by push any button of the remote (like my Sony has)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 09:34:48 am »

Thanks for responses.

I suppose another option would be to start a slide show, or something of the sort.

Anyone think that option to automatically start a slide show with audio playback, similar to screen saver would make sense as feature, or perhaps there is way to do this today? 
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 10:22:54 am »

Burn-in isn't much of a risk anymore, but in Windows Control Panel, set a timeout for the display.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 10:28:52 am »

Burn-in isn't much of a risk anymore, but in Windows Control Panel, set a timeout for the display.

Burn-in is still a potential problem with OLED not as much with standard LCDs but it is still a potential problem with OLEDs.

Here is one quick article.

https://www.howtogeek.com/687180/oled-screen-burn-in-how-worried-should-you-be/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 10:42:46 am »

I've abused my OLED displays since OLED first became available and never seen a problem.

I can't recall anyone on the forum ever mentioning that they had seen a problem with OLED burn-in.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 11:50:58 am »

I've abused my OLED displays since OLED first became available and never seen a problem.

I can't recall anyone on the forum ever mentioning that they had seen a problem with OLED burn-in.

A Goggle search will show plenty of references. It is only a problem with very prolonged use and for some screens.   The manufacturers recognize it enough that they have built in mechanisms to protect against it and LG has significantly improved the situation. Again, it is only an occasional problem, but something to be aware of.

Some more articles.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/oled-screen-burn-in-rare-could-still-ruin-tv-nintendo-switch/

https://www.techradar.com/news/has-oleds-burn-in-problem-been-fixed

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 02:26:28 pm »

Good idea!  I'm so accustomed to having screen set to never time out, I never considered this easy preventative measure.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 03:48:45 pm »

Using an OLED with Windows Desktop will definitely still lead to burn in if you don't take care of it. Even the best OLEDs will have serious image retention issues. It might not be permanent, but even temporary retention can be quite bad and annoying.

When using a Windows PC on any OLED, be it TV or Monitor:
- Make sure the taskbar is set to auto-hide. Otherwise its an extremely static fixture on the display, and will be one of the first things to keep showing
- Try to avoid long periods of static images. Having MC up in Standard View for hours and hours might not be ideal, as unchanging elements can cause issues.
- Use screen saver/monitor off with relatively short timeouts

Personally, my PC connected to my OLED TV is largely running in Theater View only, which automatically dims on inactivity to help with burn-in, as well as using a relatively low screen-off timer. I have yet to see any retention due to these measures.
On the other hand, there is numerous reports of people using OLED PC screens who ignore such measures, where the taskbar and other permanent screen elements start being retained even after short periods.

In summary, OLEDs still need care to be taken. Using a short screen-off timer just in case you leave it on is the least I can recommend to avoid issues.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 06:24:12 am »

Personally, my PC connected to my OLED TV is largely running in Theater View only, which automatically dims on inactivity to help with burn-in, as well as using a relatively low screen-off timer.

So did i

eve

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2022, 04:20:18 pm »

I use JRiver on an OLED exclusively, both at my desk and also in the theater. I highly recommend setting your skin to Modern Cards Dark and then playing with 'skin effects' to push most of the interface down to 0 0 0 black (aka off) and darkening the text. I don't really use JRiver for much navigation itself (it's for video playback essentially) but with skin effects darkening the interface and not blasting your OLED pixel brightness, you should be good.

Also, windows?
1. Buttery taskbar (gets rid of the little couple pixel height bar when your taskbar is hidden)
2. Custom windows theme + your choice of theme patch. While windows has a dark mode, it leaves much to be desired and doesn't handle legacy windows apps. A custom theme will solve this but of course windows doesn't let you use unsigned themes
3. Fancy Zones. Hugely useful with the large surface offered by an oled. Besides allowing much more functional juggling of multiple windows, you're more likely to NOT be running applications full screen, and if you slightly vary your zone arrangement over time you can further cut down on burn in caused by static UI elements.
4. Dark Reader. Bright backgrounds on websites suck, especially on an OLED, this will auto darkmode pretty much any site with few if any negative side effects.
5. Don't use HDR for desktop stuff. It's not really there yet. SDR is perfectly fine for the web or work.
6. Set your OLED pixel brightness low if you're using it for desktop stuff, drastically cuts down on burn in and stops the searing highlights. My desk monitor in a dark room is at 35-45 typically.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 02:38:03 pm »

I have two LG OLED C6 sets which after several thousand hours of mix use (video games, Media Center, Apple TV) have not suffered any burn-in; once I saw mild image retention on one of the sets, but using the built-in screen clear tool it was gone.  I've got my family (kids in particular) well trained to not leave static images on the set; video games have honestly always been my greatest fear as static "hud" elements are common and gaming sessions can last hours.

For my third LG OLED set (fairly new, several hundred hours), with a lot of video gaming, no issues at all.

As Jim and others posted, for PC use I configure the video output to turn off after several mins. of no use.

I think with OLED it's much less of an issue now with sets also implementing some screen protection as well.

--

This is far and away much better than when I had a Plasma set (remember those?), which suffered image retention often, but was cleared over time and/or forced cleared with it's "screen wipe" feature.  Loved the set for color and pure black, but could not stand the image retention.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up