INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Back Navigation Different on Mac vs Windows MC  (Read 915 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Theater View Back Navigation Different on Mac vs Windows MC
« on: August 21, 2022, 09:28:18 am »

Maybe this has been asked and answered before in the long, long ago but (unlike just general playing about with it) I'm actually trying to use a Mac for Theater View now and this is driving me crazy:

* On Windows, when you go up to the top roller and then navigate Left 1x to the Back item, it auto-activates (after a brief delay) and takes you back a step.
* On Mac, when you go up to the top roller and then navigate Left, it doesn't do anything, and you have to hit Enter/OK to select Back manually.

I looked for an option to correct this, but I can't find anything. My options under Options > Theater View seem to match between my Windows and macOS clients.

It is messing badly with my muscle memory. I remember being involved in a big "discussion" way, way back in the day about Theater View navigation when the current behavior of the Windows version was designed (when the rollers and everything were brand new). The auto-activating Back control was purposeful, because then you could continue to go all the way back home with just the Left-arrow button (and never have to "finger switch" back and forth between Left and Enter). If you have deeply nested views in Theater View, this can sometimes be a substantial number of "finger dances" you need to do to get back a few steps.

I can certainly understand how this auto-activating "back" command could be confusing to some people (and so is maybe why the macOS version is different) but navigating the Windows Theater View with this behavior intact is much more fluid. And, in any case, it is frustrating that my 15 year (or maybe more) muscle memory for Theater View is conflicted on the macOS version of MC.

If this change was, indeed, done on purpose, can we please get an option (probably on both macOS and Windows) to auto-activate the Back button in the roller (perhaps with a configurable delay)?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater View Back Navigation Different on Mac vs Windows MC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 10:31:08 am »

I believe there is an option.  Probably in Theater View > Advanced.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 10:51:27 am »

I believe there is an option.  Probably in Theater View > Advanced.

I thought so too, but I couldn't find it. Hoping I'm just looking with my eyes closed, or that the option is buried somewhere non-obvious (not under Options > Theater View at all, for instance).

I compared my Windows install's Options > Theater View to my macOS install's item-by-item and couldn't find anything.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 02:47:45 pm »

I don't see any specific reason why this shouldn't work, so no intended change anywhere. I'll test next week to see whats going on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 07:58:48 am »

I think I have a suspicion why it does not work, but it'll take some sleuthing to fix. Might have to inquire with bob once he is back, too, it might be something he has dealt with before.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 09:11:47 am »

I think I have a suspicion why it does not work, but it'll take some sleuthing to fix. Might have to inquire with bob once he is back, too, it might be something he has dealt with before.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up