INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR and Projector Problems  (Read 1336 times)

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
HDR and Projector Problems
« on: August 21, 2022, 03:06:39 pm »

I have been using a Zidoo Player for my movies these last few years. I got a DLP projector (Xiaomi C2) that is DV compatible.

Although the picture is rather nice with it in HDR, I have never seen a benefit with it. SDR was as good for me, with better contrast, better highlights and more realistic blacks.

Since I needed a new video card for my older computer now. I downloade JRiver 29. As I normally use the computer on a 1080 computer screen, after connecting to my Projector, I took care to put Nvidea panel in 4K, and framerate in JRiver on automatic, and selected the new JRVR renderer. First impressions were not good.
 Dark, not looking extra sharp.

I then looked with CTRL-R what the computer was outputting. Well it mentioned input HDR 4K, but output SDR 1080 P.
Looked everywhere to other settings, put all in HDR what I could find, restarted the computer and JRiver.

Everything looked already much better! But I could at once not use the CTRL R shortcut to see if this time the right signal was sent to my projector.

Now picture looked good, if I adjusted my projector a bit. Higher contrast , and brightness. But then the picture looked smashing in 4K HDR. Some files I was disappointed  my Zidoo, a bit too dark, not sparkling, looked fantastic (Maleficent 2  ) in JRiver. If the Zidoo does a lot right, I always found it very good in SDR, but not always thrilled in DV and HDR.

But.....the Zidoo gives a sharper impression. So I hope the picture is not Upscaled by the projector. Also I am not sure if JRiver does a conversion to SDR.

Now maybe I cannot use CTRL R in HDR. I do not know. I configured everything in JRiver, also in the new renderer to output HDR, but I see no way to be sure.     

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDR and Projector Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 04:19:33 pm »

Click once on the body of movie being played (to get focus) and then hit CTRL+R.
JRiver CEO Elect

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 09:10:01 pm »

Thank you. You mean what by clicking for focus. Is this a left click/right click?

Just an idea, why you not include it, in the menu you get, when movie is playing with just a right click. My computer is in other room, the mouse  works even from living room...;

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 09:21:35 pm »

Left

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 11:15:46 pm »

Sorry, I feel stupid. Nothing happens, only that the picture pauzes.  Not convenient, but I must find a way to get it, to see if all is ok.

My English is not good and I never use shortcuts, must be doing something  wrong though. it is essential, that if I will use more the computer, that I can see if it really outputs 4K and HDR and not converted. This said it looks very good, but just a bit concerned if it outputs really 4 K and not 1080 P upscaled after this

Thanks for helping anyway.... But I really not manage to get the information on the screen. I think you should give this option, in right click and select it, everyone can understand that.....

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 12:51:02 am »

Ctrl-J opens the statistics OSD. Ctrl-R resets the dropped frame tracking.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:43:41 pm »

Thanks to all your good help, I managed.

I could do some tests. I include the screenshots for testing.

1. If I put JRiver render, to let my panel be in HDR, then I saw the computer outputed indeed 4K  and HDR .  If I diselect this, then I got still 4K but SDR signal.

I was so at first in SDR, as it was not selected. Image in my projector standard settings, was very good. It looked in fact as perfect HDR, good blacks and good shadow details and lights very flashy. I not liked the colors so much though.  But I went to my Nvidia panel and change to Nvidia settings YCbCr 4.4.4. Colors seemed better, but blacks less profound in SDR mode. In HDR, I had to change my projectors settings. In general, blacks are solid, but maybe shadow details a bit less. The SDR conversion is so good that difficult to choose between two modes.

I not know if all my settings are the best, be free to give your opinion. Image is more profound, has much more depth then my Zidoo player (last model, with DV support.

The only thing that bothered me was delay on the sound. it is not much, but not pleasant. I not want to change, my amp settings, I thought I saw you could adjust it also in JRiver, not remember where. Maybe better in Zidoo is the movements look more smoother. But I find that against everything.

Any thoughts welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 02:10:44 pm »

MC's Videoclock feature can synchronize audio and video.

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 10:24:14 pm »

Hi Jim can you tell more about this? I have enabled videoclock  is that same?  What about the statistics, are they ok?

Do you think it is better to put the output of the Nvidia to YCbCr 4.4.4, or would you suggest something else. In RGB I don't like the colors?

Should I let JRVR let do a conversion to SDR, or just keep it in HDR and decode by the projector?

For Dolby vision, what is the settings i use, I guess it makes the DV compatible, but the projector sees it as regular HDR and not DV, am I right?

I have a previous version of JRiver and seriously thinking of paying the upgrade to use more the computer. Weirdly enough, the sound is better than on Zidoo player too.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 07:01:10 am »

VideoClock:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock

I can't help with HDR but look for other threads on it here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up