INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR differenes between Apple M1 silicon and windows  (Read 1774 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
JRVR differenes between Apple M1 silicon and windows
« on: September 04, 2022, 05:01:10 am »

1. Are there difference between Apple M1 silicon and Windows for JRVR? (reason for this question: I think of replacing my ~6.5 year old media renderer (win) through Apple Mac Mini with M2 core  -if it is released this year-.))
2. Is this a good idea?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

blgentry

Re: JRVR differenes between Apple M1 silicon and windows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 09:57:42 am »

If you are ONLY asking about JRVR, I don't think there are very many differences if any.

Is it a good idea?  It depends.  Are you using MadVR or the other advanced video things on the windows version of MC?  Those don't run on Mac.  Are you happy with how MC works as a video renderer for you?  If so, it should be largely the same.

Are you using a Windows Media Remote or something similar to interact with your video box?  If so you may need to figure out an alternative way of doing that, as the IR remote stuff from MC for Windows does not work on Mac.

Do you play real discs with your video box (DVDs and BDs)?  If so, that won't work on MC for Mac as there is no video disc support with MC for Mac.

Brian.

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 01:27:39 pm »

Is it a good idea?  It depends.  Are you using MadVR or the other advanced video things on the windows version of MC?  Those don't run on Mac.  Are you happy with how MC works as a video renderer for you?  If so, it should be largely the same.
I don't use madVR anymore, only JRVR.

Are you using a Windows Media Remote or something similar to interact with your video box?  If so you may need to figure out an alternative way of doing that, as the IR remote stuff from MC for Windows does not work on Mac.
I only use JRemote and Theater View with a wireless Logitech Keyboard.
Do you play real discs with your video box (DVDs and BDs)?  If so, that won't work on MC for Mac as there is no video disc support with MC for Mac.
No, everything is ripped to mkv (50%) or from german mediathek:mp4 (49%).1% is: avi, m2ts, m4v, mov, ts, webm, wmv

I only want a new Video Renderer (current one is not upgradable to win 11)! Audio I play through DLNA or Devialet AIR to my Devialet directly from my Server.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 05:10:08 pm »

I think m2ts and ts are both disc folder structures and won't play on MC for Mac.  But that's some tiny percentage of what you have, so you will probably be ok.

If you have a Mac you can experiment with, that would be the smartest thing to do before you buy new hardware.

It seems like you are probably good to go, but I don't have any direct experience with recent versions of MC on recent apple hardware, doing "video renderer" duties. 

Good luck!
Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 07:46:36 am »

.ts and .m2ts aren't disk structure files (at least as far as I've ever seen).
They play fine on my Mac.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 08:54:13 am »

Aren't ts and m2ts normally encrypted, as they come from DVD and BD respectively?  Interesting that they are playable in MC for Mac when VOBs and other disc types are not.

Side note:  Welcome back Bob!  I hope your trip was awesome.  :)

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 09:04:01 am »

I have a Mac Book with Silicon M1 Pro and since the last update every format is playing fine - including .ts and .vob.
Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 09:11:24 am »

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 09:16:13 am »

Aren't ts and m2ts normally encrypted, as they come from DVD and BD respectively?  Interesting that they are playable in MC for Mac when VOBs and other disc types are not.

Side note:  Welcome back Bob!  I hope your trip was awesome.  :)

Brian.
Thanks, it was a fantastic trip.

I don't believe they are encrpyted, or at least that they have to be.
We have been using them for a long time since they stream and can be seeked upon over a network connection.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 09:18:56 am »

But this may be what we record:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_program_stream

Yaobing, do you know?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 09:29:30 am »

No, we record a .ts and we've been able to transcode to that container and push it over DLNA for a long time.
It's usually used to wrap a mpeg2 or h264 video.

Manfred

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 10:03:06 am »

I have only 2 x ts files and their are demo files:

N:\Video\Web\4k Demo Videos\LG_4K_OLED_Sydney.ts
N:\Video\Web\4k Demo Videos\UHD_PQ_Iceland_2.ts

1 x m2ts file:

N:\Video\Web\JRiver\AV Sync 3D MVC Film.m2ts

HarperVision

• Reviewer, Calibrator & Technical Consultant
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 02:44:29 pm »

I am trying to play ripped movies saved in the full disk BDMV format on my M1 Mac Mini using JRMC30 (I know this is for MC29 but it is the ONLY thread I could find similar to this!) and all I get is an error message that says "Playback Problem: Something went wrong with playback." and of course they won't play properly.  All my other ripped files are in the MKV format and play just fine.

I opened Parallels using Windows 11 on the same Mac Mini, downloaded the Windows version of JRMC30, imported everything and the same BDMV files play flawlessly, even using madVR with pixel shaders as the renderer which I didn't think was even possible with Mac Silicon and not being a proper GPU like we used for Windows!

The one thing I notice and am pretty confident is the issue, is that when I go to Tools>Options>File Types, all of the File Associations are set to NO when in MacOS, but I recall when I installed the Windows version in Parallels it asked me about associations during install so they were all YES in Windows since that is what I selected.  In MacOS it never asked. 

I have gone into the Tools>Options>File Types in JRMC30 for Mac and manually set all of those File Associations to YES, but it still doesn't work and when I close it and open it later to check it again, they are all back to NO!  I have gone into my Security & Privacy Settings and allowed full access to everything I could possibly allow in there and it still won't play BDMVs. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled JRMC30 many, many times, all to no avail.

I am tearing my hair out and don't know what else to do so I seek your collective expert advice please!  ?
Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
HarperVision LLC
Reviewer, Calibrator & Technical Consultant
for projector screen.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 02:54:47 pm »

On Windows, you may have AnyDVD or equivalent installed.

Try converting to MKV.

HarperVision

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 03:02:13 pm »

On Windows, you may have AnyDVD or equivalent installed.

Try converting to MKV.

I am using MakeMKV and DVDFab, but I have already ripped hundreds of movies to my NAS and many are already in the BDMV format.  I ripped these this way because this is what I am doing for my Dolby Vision discs because when I rip those to MKV and play them back on my Zidoo Z1000 Pro, there is a weird dimming and flickering when I play DV MKVs.  I have rectified this issue using a Full Disc rip using BDMV File folders with M2TS videos within the Stream Sub-Folder.

Either way, I have no time nor the patience to re-rip ALL these numerous movies from BDMV to MKV. The core issue is, why won't my JRMC30 play these BDMVs when they do in Windows and it was mentioned here in this thread that MC for Mac should also play them?
Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
HarperVision LLC
for projector screen.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2022, 03:36:09 pm »

You may be able to convert without ripping.  Explore makeMKV.

HarperVision

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 04:33:31 pm »

You may be able to convert without ripping.  Explore makeMKV.

I appreciate your assistance and information, but as I said I need these to be in the BDMV format in order for them to play properly. It also doesn't rectify the underlying issue.
Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
HarperVision LLC
for projector screen.com

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 05:10:24 pm »

MC Mac cannot use a BDMV disk structure for playback. Only the windows version supports that through directX.

HarperVision

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 05:18:34 pm »

MC Mac cannot use a BDMV disk structure for playback. Only the windows version supports that through directX.

Excellent thank you bob!  I was starting to suspect that was the case but my searches didn't turn up any confirmation with differences between MC for Mac and Windows.
Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
HarperVision LLC
for projector screen.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up