INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Remaining Problems  (Read 2986 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Remaining Problems
« on: October 08, 2022, 05:56:57 am »

Good news about MC 30: installation and import of the MC 29 library worked without any problem. Up to now: most things that worked before work with the new version, too.

I couldn't detect important new features and the "empty fields" issue and the problem with special characters greet again like an old familiar friend.

Frank

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remaining Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 07:19:13 am »

It's important to understand how MC does releases.  Other software companies develop their product almost "in secret" and make new features and bug fixes and gather them up for a long time before a major release.  Then, when that release comes out, all of those features come with that release.  A like a whole stack of boxes at Christmas. 

JRiver doesn't do that.  Instead, JRiver incrementally changes the software all year long.  They do dozens of releases throughout the year.  In MC29, there were 87 builds and probably 20 to 30 public releases.  That's a lot of public changes to their software.

At some point, they decide that it's been long enough on one version and go to the next.  In this case MC30.  There are normally one or two "big features" that are part of a new major release.  But they don't collect up any special bug fixes.  They aren't holding back any minor or medium impact bug fixes. 

So, you shouldn't expect that your favorite bugs will be fixed in major releases.  They will be worked on, or not worked on, throughout the year, just like in MC29. 

I'm not affiliated with JRiver in any way.  I'm a customer and have been since MC20.  So I guess I'm on my 11th major release with JRiver now.  :) 

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 07:48:54 am »

Dear Brian,
I understand and appreciate the numerous fixes and little additions that are made in MC.
Perhaps I wrote too much over the years about special characters or for some time about
empty fields. Sorry sometimes to sound too attacking.

But I am German and working every day with Umlauten (special characters) and working with
hundreds of tags and it's extremely getting on (at least my) nerves.

MC is the only Mac program, I know, with these issues, the only one that
writes, for instance "nervtötend" inside the program and reads and "nervto tend" from the disc.

More important: a search for Hölderlin or Janácek shows no result (instead for Holderlin or Janacek).
Again: this happens ONLY in MC and for numerous new releases now.

Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 08:03:18 am »

We'll fix these.  Bob had an extended vacation.

As Brian said, we're early in the cycle.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 01:07:23 pm »

Dear Brian,
I understand and appreciate the numerous fixes and little additions that are made in MC.
Perhaps I wrote too much over the years about special characters or for some time about
empty fields. Sorry sometimes to sound too attacking.

But I am German and working every day with Umlauten (special characters) and working with
hundreds of tags and it's extremely getting on (at least my) nerves.

MC is the only Mac program, I know, with these issues, the only one that
writes, for instance "nervtötend" inside the program and reads and "nervto tend" from the disc.

More important: a search for Hölderlin or Janácek shows no result (instead for Holderlin or Janacek).
Again: this happens ONLY in MC and for numerous new releases now.

Frank
How are you searching?
If I type Vänskä into the search box in the upper right, it works properly.

And about this one:
reads and "nervto tend" from the disc
Where does it READ from the disc and display that?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 12:53:15 pm »

If I have tagged the files with MC the search works without a problem.
But if I save a file to the SSD or HDD with Vänskä in the filename, the tracks are shown on the Mac correctly as Vänskä, but MC reads the filename as "Va nska " - as shown in the appended file. If I am tagging a file with Vänskä with another program (Metadatics), MC in any tag field reads Vänskä as "Va nska ". Filenames from WaveLab Pro or iZotope have the same problem.
Names copied from the finder or from Safari and pasted into a MC tag field have the same problem, names copied and pasted from MS Word or Chrome (nearly always) not.
Files cannot be saved to a folder that has a * or " in their name. MC instead creates a new folder. A ? in the name of a track is saved as _.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 12:55:06 pm »

Sorry, forget to send the picture

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 12:59:23 pm »

The real questions for me are:

1.  Is that really the file name as shown in Finder or in Terminal?
2.  What created these file names?  Did you rip with MC?  Did you rename in MC?  My file names come from my ripping program and are later modified by MC during a Rename operation.  I have quite a few diacritic characters in my file names.
3.  Does it matter?  What I mean is, you use the MC display tags to identify the Song, Composer, Conductor, etc.  These are saved in Tags that are INSIDE the file.  So they are portable to other systems that read tags (pretty much every music player).  So do the file names really matter in terms of exact characters?  The answer for me is definitely that they file names only need to be "close enough" to be identifiable.  The real data is in the tags.

Brian.

HaWi

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 02:07:32 pm »

Just to chime in here. I have brought this up occasionally but have never received any solution for the "special character" issue. I would highly appreciate if this could be solved once and for all as it is imperative to be able to use special (i.e foreign) characters (except for control character such as %, $, &, \, etc.) in file names and folder names.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 02:17:05 pm »

Hawi, isn't your issue with diacritic characters about how you enter them?  I.E. other programs let you enter the characters in a standardized way, but MC requires some special procedure that is more time consuming and difficult?

As I said, I have quite a few file names with diacritic characters in them.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 07:13:58 pm »

Hawi, isn't your issue with diacritic characters about how you enter them?  I.E. other programs let you enter the characters in a standardized way, but MC requires some special procedure that is more time consuming and difficult?

Brian.
When I enter them using the hold down the key and select method they work fine.
How can you generate one in the search box that doesn't work??

HaWi

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 08:19:25 am »

Brian.
Brian, I believe there are at least two issues. One is that entering diacritic characters is different from other apps. I have learned to live with that. The other, more difficult to deal with for me, is that diacritic characters that have been imported from other sources (e.g. I edit my tracks in Tag Editor before importing to MC) seem not to be recognized correctly and in some fields (e.g. [file name]) containing Händel looks like Ha ndel) and generates some issues with searching and also sometimes MC cannot find the file anymore. Interestingly, this doesn't seem to happen in the [Album] field(and possibly others fields). Furthermore, those diacritics do not translate well to other platforms. If I have Händel in a file name or folder name, even when "fixed" by typing them in again in MC, they still result in Ha ndel when I restore a library on Linux (this may not be a MC issue but rather a cross-platform file system issue). Long story short, I have to remove all diacritics to be able to use my library on both MacOS and Linux without getting "missing files".
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
JRemote 3.43

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 08:59:12 am »

I'm not really understanding your process.  Does Tag Edit rename your files?  If not, then how does [Filename] end up with missing characters?

Why aren't you using MC to edit your tags and rename your files? 

Finally, for cross platform file names, you really do want to remove the diacritical characters from the file names on disk. This guarantees the most compatibility.

Brian.

HaWi

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 11:32:29 am »

I'm not really understanding your process.  Does Tag Edit rename your files?  If not, then how does [Filename] end up with missing characters?

Finally, for cross platform file names, you really do want to remove the diacritical characters from the file names on disk. This guarantees the most compatibility.

Brian.
Thanks Brian,
I guess my problem is that I like to have my filenames be the same as: [Album Artist]/[Album]/[Composition] - [Movement] so I always F6 to that. That way I can get all my metadata back if I "Update Library from Tags" if I need to. That maybe overly paranoid, I know.
For me, Tag Editor is a bit smoother for some edits but maybe I should go back to editing everything in MC

Hans
JRemote 3.43

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 12:25:08 pm »

I guess my problem is that I like to have my filenames be the same as: [Album Artist]/[Album]/[Composition] - [Movement] so I always F6 to that. That way I can get all my metadata back if I "Update Library from Tags" if I need to. That maybe overly paranoid, I know.

Update Library From Tags reads the tags *inside* the files.  ID3 tags, Vorbis tags, etc.  The file name is not used at all.  MC does have a tool called "Fill Properties from Filename", which attempts to extract this information from the file name.  But it's really for emergency use, or for files that have no tags in them at all (like most WAV files for example).

By all means, do whatever makes the most sense for you.  But my library has diacritical characters in Album, Artist, Name, etc.  *and* most of those files use regular ascii characters for the filename.  These Album, Artist, etc tags are INSIDE my files and don't care about the file name.

MC's "master switch" for writing tags is located at:
Tools > Options > General > Importing and Tagging > update tags when file info changes

If you turn that on, every tag change will then be written to the files.  You can force this to happen by selecting some files and then using "Update Tags from Library".

For me, Tag Editor is a bit smoother for some edits but maybe I should go back to editing everything in MC

I'm not sure if Tag Editor is doing anything odd or not.  I'm still not quite getting how your filenames have missing characters (the empty spaces you showed in your screen shots).  I've never seen that in all the renames I've done.   ..and I've done thousands.  Which is why I asked about Tag Editor, as I have no experience with it.

Best of luck to you Hans.

Brian.

HaWi

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2022, 06:30:11 pm »

Update Library From Tags reads the tags *inside* the files.  ID3 tags, Vorbis tags, etc.  The file name is not used at all.  MC does have a tool called "Fill Properties from Filename", which attempts to extract this information from the file name.  But it's really for emergency use, or for files that have no tags in them at all (like most WAV files for example).

By all means, do whatever makes the most sense for you.  But my library has diacritical characters in Album, Artist, Name, etc.  *and* most of those files use regular ascii characters for the filename.  These Album, Artist, etc tags are INSIDE my files and don't care about the file name.

MC's "master switch" for writing tags is located at:
Tools > Options > General > Importing and Tagging > update tags when file info changes

If you turn that on, every tag change will then be written to the files.  You can force this to happen by selecting some files and then using "Update Tags from Library".

I'm not sure if Tag Editor is doing anything odd or not.  I'm still not quite getting how your filenames have missing characters (the empty spaces you showed in your screen shots).  I've never seen that in all the renames I've done.   ..and I've done thousands.  Which is why I asked about Tag Editor, as I have no experience with it.

Best of luck to you Hans.

Brian.
Thanks Brian,
I think the problem might be only with diacritics in file names. I am still learning...
Hans
JRemote 3.43

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 04:43:54 am »

Brian.

Dear Brian,
you answered Hans but my difficulties with MC are the same.

There are no missing characters. MC changes diacritical characters and males an "ä" "á", "à"... to "a " (a simple a and an empty space).
If I import files with diacritical characters to MC, Mac does the same and translates all diacritical characters to a letter and an empty space), "Vänskä" to "Va nska ".
Neither a search for Vänskä or Vanska will find the file in MC.

Compatibility is not important for me. I want the words and expressions as they are.
I am only working on Mac and if I am exchanging files with others (very often) I change or remove diacritical characters.

I am often using another program (Metadatics) for tagging because it has much more possibilities to change filenames, adding numbers or additions to the name of every file or selected files of an imported folder and much more things which are important for me, make life with music and files easier and that is not possible in MC.

For years now I use the same method to name files: I am writing "_" between the words. For example: "Cosi_ROH1998_2_13 Per pietà"
That's possible to write and is correctly read and displayed by all audio programs I have - WaveLab, iZotope, Fission, Audition, Metadatics, Apple Music -
save MC. Only if I write the tags in MC as above and save the tags from library it reads the names correctly but not from Metadatics or WaveLab.
MC reads them as "Cosi ROH1998 2 13 Per pieta ".
Frank

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 09:48:03 am »

There are no missing characters. MC changes diacritical characters and males an "ä" "á", "à"... to "a " (a simple a and an empty space).

I set up a test for myself and I see what you are reporting.  But what you are reporting is just a display problem.  I have a file named "Vänskä.mp3" that I just imported.  Everything about it is correct.  The tags for Album, artist, etc all show the diacritical characters properly.  The file name is correct. No spaces or conversions.  See my screen shot.

HOWEVER... I looked carefully at your screen shot and I see that you are EDITING the file name in the Tag window.  So I clicked on my file name and... I see what you see!  The ä turns into "a ".  But if you click outside of the file name, it returns to the correct filename.  Further, look at my screen shot and see the file name in the album details box (white arrow).  It is correct and it is the name on disk.

Also notice that in the search box at the upper right I have typed "vänska" and it has found it.

So I do understand the unusual display bug, in the filename only, that you are both reporting.  But I don't understand how this affects anything.  On my system the filename is correct.  The tags are all correct.  The search is correct.

Maybe we are doing something else different than each other?

Brian.

PS:  In my opinion you should never edit the filename in the tag window.  I think that is asking for trouble.

HaWi

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 01:37:56 pm »

I set up a test for myself and I see what you are reporting.  But what you are reporting is just a display problem.  I have a file named "Vänskä.mp3" that I just imported.  Everything about it is correct.  The tags for Album, artist, etc all show the diacritical characters properly.  The file name is correct. No spaces or conversions.  See my screen shot.

HOWEVER... I looked carefully at your screen shot and I see that you are EDITING the file name in the Tag window.  So I clicked on my file name and... I see what you see!  The ä turns into "a ".  But if you click outside of the file name, it returns to the correct filename.  Further, look at my screen shot and see the file name in the album details box (white arrow).  It is correct and it is the name on disk.

Also notice that in the search box at the upper right I have typed "vänska" and it has found it.

So I do understand the unusual display bug, in the filename only, that you are both reporting.  But I don't understand how this affects anything.  On my system the filename is correct.  The tags are all correct.  The search is correct.

Brian.

PS:  In my opinion you should never edit the filename in the tag window.  I think that is asking for trouble.
Brian, thanks for looking into this!
I believe the problem arises when saving a track with a diacritical to disk with F6. My Move/Copy/Save is set up like this
[Album Artist]/[Album] for base path, and
[Disc #]-[Track #] [Name] for file name

When [Name] or [Album Artist] contains an imported diacritical and I F6, then the the track becomes "missing".
When I then edit Filename Name (or [Album Artist], if necessary), where I see the diacritical (e.g. "ä" split into "a " and manually change to "ä", then the track will be found again.
Many thanks again,
Hans
JRemote 3.43

HaWi

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 01:43:46 pm »

One more thing
There also seems to be a difference between Umlauten (e.g. ä or ü) and others (like ç or ñ). I haven't quite nailed it but I remember that I can fix the missing track issue as mentioned in my previous post with Umlauten but seem to have trouble doing the same with the others.
JRemote 3.43

blgentry

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 03:31:27 pm »

I just renamed a Sigur Ros song called "Starálfur".  I renamed it to the [Name] field.  It worked as expected.  Then I renamed it to [Track #]_[Name] and that worked as expected also.  I did this with Rename, Move, and Copy Files (F6).

I'm not sure why I'm not seeing what you are.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 04:43:22 pm »

Are either of you using a portable library?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 04:44:54 pm »

Or Samba or a NAS?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2022, 03:39:09 am »

I never edit it in the filename field but always in the name field.
I only showed the filename field to illustrate the broken name.
As I already said: If I tag the files in MC there is no problem with diacritical characters.
But it happens with imported files, tagged with another program.

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2022, 03:47:26 am »

I just worked on a file with iZotope and made tracks.
Diacritical letters are read correctly but "_" doesn't work (look at the appended pictures).
Is there a way to correct this?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2022, 04:47:53 am »

Please, try the following: copy the name of a file with diacritical characters from the HDD and paste it in the search field or any tag field in MC.
On my Mac it's always broken as in the appended picture.

blgentry

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 07:05:39 am »

I just cut and pasted some text from this forum "Umlauten (e.g. ä or ü) and others (like ç or ñ)" into the Orchestra tag field (using MC's Tag editor) and it worked.  It kept all of the diacriticals and all of the parenthesis.

I'm not sure I can help with this any more.  I don't think I understand something basic about what's going on.  I think the two people here are doing something quite different than I do with my library.

Best of luck to all of you.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 10:07:37 am »

I think I see what's going on here.

The issue is that apps in MacOS use pre-composed utf-8, basically the kind we'd normally expect.
The limitations of the MacOS hfs+ filesystem requires de-composed utf-8. That convention has been kept for apfs.
The decomposed utf-8 for the ä in Vänskä is 0xc3a4
The pre-composed utf-8 for the same character is 0x61cc88

The only reason you are seeing the lack of umlaut and space added is because you are copy/pasting from the finder which is why the Brian and I haven't been able to reproduce your issue.

Here's some more info (ignore the programming language details)
https://numa.hypotheses.org/66

HaWi

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 10:09:54 am »

Yes, I am
JRemote 3.43

HaWi

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 10:11:17 am »

JRemote 3.43

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 10:12:45 am »

Yes, I am
I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of your issue.
I think we are seeing 2 different issues.

Also, on your Samba/NAS filesystem (which is it?)
And what is the filesystem type?

HaWi

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2022, 10:29:17 am »

I think I see what's going on here.

The issue is that apps in MacOS use pre-composed utf-8, basically the kind we'd normally expect.
The limitations of the MacOS hfs+ filesystem requires de-composed utf-8. That convention has been kept for apfs.
The decomposed utf-8 for the ä in Vänskä is 0xc3a4
The pre-composed utf-8 for the same character is 0x61cc88

The only reason you are seeing the lack of umlaut and space added is because you are copy/pasting from the finder which is why the Brian and I haven't been able to reproduce your issue.

Here's some more info (ignore the programming language details)
https://numa.hypotheses.org/66
Thanks Bob, that explains a lot. Is there a possible solution to this or anything we can do that would allow us to use diacriticals in MC?
many thanks,
Hans
JRemote 3.43

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2022, 10:57:35 am »

Thanks Bob, that explains a lot. Is there a possible solution to this or anything we can do that would allow us to use diacriticals in MC?
many thanks,
Hans
I'm looking at the first issue now, handling the decomposed text from the paste of a filename from finder.
App to App diacriticals work fine right now as far as Brian and I've been able to show.

Not sure about non-MacOS filesystems yet.

HaWi

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2022, 11:24:13 am »

Thank you so much, Bob for looking into this.
JRemote 3.43

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2022, 11:27:30 am »

Got the paste from the clipboard working. It will be in the next build.

HaWi

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2022, 01:30:37 pm »

Got the paste from the clipboard working. It will be in the next build.
Thank you, Bob, that's amazing
JRemote 3.43

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2022, 11:29:53 am »

Wonderful, thanks for the new version that solves the clipboard problem.
Still files on the disc, for example,  named Nabucco_25_09_2022_1 are read as Nabucco 25 09 2022.

blgentry

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2022, 03:08:31 pm »

@aliciaviola:  I don't understand your process.  You want underscores in the Name field, based on file name?  I've never used underscores anywhere in a tag.  They aren't a part of writing words and phrases in common languages like English, German, French, etc.  So why would they be in tags, which are designed to be human readable?

Underscores are used in file names in place of spaces.  This is an old thing from when it was impossible or "hard" for file systems to use spaces in the file names.  So why put them in tags?

Also, why do the files in your pictures have no tags?  Are these some kind of recordings of live music that are being passed around and have never been tagged or something?  From my perspective it's difficult to understand what you are starting with and what you want to end up with.  All of my music is commercial and the tags are filled out by the ripping program as they come off of CD.  Any "wrong" tags are corrected in MC and adjusted to my liking.  The TAGS are the primary source of data in my music.  The file names are just a convenience so I can identify them outside of MC if I need to.

I suspect that something totally different is going on in your workflow.  Certainly you understand the difference between tags and file names?  I ask because you seem to be extremely focused on the name field matching the file name.

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2022, 04:30:13 am »

Dear Brian,
that's for many, many years the way I tag may files and certainly will not change it in the future. For me it's logical and works.
But not with MC. Try for yourself to import an underscored filename and you will see that it doesn't work and in MC all underscores are vanished.
You can write and save filenames with underscores in MC . That works.
And the pictures had no tags because I was working on the files and until then that was all what I tagged of these files. Afterwards it looked quite different.
I have 7,8 TB of music and all fully tagged.
Frank

blgentry

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2022, 06:48:25 am »

Thanks for answering.  MC removes underscores ON PURPOSE because they generally denote spaces so MC converts them when it reads them.

When I wrote the above post, I don't think I was as nice as I should have been.  Your style is your style and my preferences have nothing to do with that.  I apologize if I was rude or otherwise impolite.

Best of luck to you.

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2022, 09:55:39 am »

Dear Brian,
don't worry about your style. May be that my style isn't always polite, too. Sorry, if it sometimes sounds like that.

MC removes underscores ON PURPOSE because they generally denote spaces so MC converts them when it reads them.

That's a typical WINDOWS behaviour. I never had that on a Mac before and I am working for 30 years on that system (the LC II was my first).
There are still many things that show that this is originally a Windows program and not totally transferred to the Mac.
But after the copy, paste problem from the clipboard was solved there is some hope on the horizon that more thing will change.
Perhaps the still remaining issue with diacritical characters comes from a similar problem like that with the clipboard.
Files with diacritical characters on the HDD and imported in MC still are misread. Try yourself with a nonsense named file like: "Track 01 Überschlag ähnlich à",
import that into MC and look to the name tag. MC reads it as "Track 01 U berschlag a hnlich a ". Then copy it and paste into the album tag field: the letters appear correct.
I have no idea why this happens. Perhaps you or someone of the developers?

As I often wrote in the forum and am telling to all people who are looking for the best music (and much more) program for the Mac:
despite all problems this is the best program of its kind for the Mac and there is nothing comparable.

Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2022, 09:31:14 am »

Dear Brian,
don't worry about your style. May be that my style isn't always polite, too. Sorry, if it sometimes sounds like that.

That's a typical WINDOWS behaviour. I never had that on a Mac before and I am working for 30 years on that system (the LC II was my first).
There are still many things that show that this is originally a Windows program and not totally transferred to the Mac.
But after the copy, paste problem from the clipboard was solved there is some hope on the horizon that more thing will change.
Perhaps the still remaining issue with diacritical characters comes from a similar problem like that with the clipboard.
Files with diacritical characters on the HDD and imported in MC still are misread. Try yourself with a nonsense named file like: "Track 01 Überschlag ähnlich à",
import that into MC and look to the name tag. MC reads it as "Track 01 U berschlag a hnlich a ". Then copy it and paste into the album tag field: the letters appear correct.
I have no idea why this happens. Perhaps you or someone of the developers?

As I often wrote in the forum and am telling to all people who are looking for the best music (and much more) program for the Mac:
despite all problems this is the best program of its kind for the Mac and there is nothing comparable.

Frank
I'll take a look at this one, seems like it might be the same fix as the copy/paste:
Try yourself with a nonsense named file like: "Track 01 Überschlag ähnlich à",

How are you importing it in?
Auto-import?
Manual import of a folder?
Drag and drop into MC?

If I look at the tags of a file imported with MC's auto-import it looks OK to me.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2022, 03:35:08 pm »

I import it mostly with drag and drop to the icon in the dock.
But often it is imported by auto-import from the downloads folder or one of the external drives.
And: it's important not only to have a look to the tag but to make a click on it.
On the first view it seems to be ok but after a click in the tag field all appears as I described.
At least on my Mac (in Germany).
Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2022, 05:39:41 pm »

Clicking on the Name in the tag field works fine for me.

I have some suspicion about pulling filenames from the clipboard in MC with regards to the Decomposed UTF-8 thing but I can't reproduce the issue yet.
The drag filenames to the icon doesn't work for me.
Can you take a screen video of this on your Mac while you do that?
You can email it to bob (at) jriver (dot) com
Thanks.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2022, 12:45:32 am »

Dear Bob,

I just sent you an email with a video.

Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2022, 09:24:00 am »

Dear Bob,

I just sent you an email with a video.

Frank
Ok, just viewed it.
All I can say is wow, I NEVER would have thought of importing a file that way. No idea that could even be done.
I tried it with the icon up and MC running and of course nothing happened.
I'm guessing that file is passed into MC as a command line arg. That shouldn't be too hard to find.

Do you do multiple files that way?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2022, 09:36:16 am »

It depends on the moment. But yes, very often. It's much easier than to drag them to the program symbol or into the MC window. You need not change the full window mode.
But on my system the "broken" letters appear in any mode: drag and drop, auto-import.....
The only way to repair that is to tag the files with MC.
Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2022, 10:04:39 am »

It depends on the moment. But yes, very often. It's much easier than to drag them to the program symbol or into the MC window. You need not change the full window mode.
But on my system the "broken" letters appear in any mode: drag and drop, auto-import.....
The only way to repair that is to tag the files with MC.
Frank
I have not been able to reproduce that problem dragging into a running MC main window.
When you can reproduce this behavior, what is the storage device you are dragging the filenames from and what filesystem is on it?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2022, 11:19:07 am »

Dear Bob,
I sent you another movie.
This time I dropped a folder directly into the open MC window.
Same result as you clearly can see in the movie.
My system informations are in the appended picture.
Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2022, 11:20:48 am »

The file was on the internal SSD.
Frank
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up