INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: nVidia Shield  (Read 6036 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: nVidia Shield
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2023, 01:56:20 pm »

When you try to load a library, is it still an endless loading message? You can try backing out, clear the app data from the device settings and try again. Otherwise, I am still stumped. It's very rare that I run into this issue and I can't reproduce it reliably on the Shield.

When you import, you might need to give it some time to analyze the media. You could try putting the app in the background and coming back to it so it forces the home screen to reload. Android 11 and later can cause some issues with file permissions. Generally, media files have more relaxed restrictions, but if Android hasn't identified files as media files, they might have more restrictive permissions.

I'm stumped too. I've tried everything. However, I have discovered a workaround. If I run JRiver for Android and start with streaming from something like 'Radio Paradise', I can then go to my laptop, which is the host for my media library. Media Center on my laptop then shows 'SHIELD Android TV' under Playing Now. I can select it and then play anything in my library to my SHIELD.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2023, 03:00:26 pm »

That's like some kind of SSDP problem. 

BradATIMA

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2023, 03:37:42 pm »

I'm stumped too. I've tried everything. However, I have discovered a workaround. If I run JRiver for Android and start with streaming from something like 'Radio Paradise', I can then go to my laptop, which is the host for my media library. Media Center on my laptop then shows 'SHIELD Android TV' under Playing Now. I can select it and then play anything in my library to my SHIELD.

You really shouldn't have to play anything to get it to show up as a DLNA zone. Android does have some restrictions with apps in the background, but if the app is in the foreground, it should show up as a DLNA zone. We can do some testing on this to see if it's not working properly. This might need some changes on the Shield.

BradATIMA

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2023, 04:09:48 pm »

There were a couple of changes to how Android handles loading libraries. Try the next build and let me know if it works any better. It should be posted today or tomorrow, but it might take a few days before it clears Google's review. Just note, you should clear the app data before trying.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2023, 10:28:58 pm »

Is this new build available yet?

Would like to know I am working with something that might work before I start fighting with it again.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2023, 10:31:22 pm »

Check the Play Store.

BradATIMA

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2023, 08:42:29 am »

Is this new build available yet?

Would like to know I am working with something that might work before I start fighting with it again.

Carl.

If you go to the About page in the app, you can check if an update is available there.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2023, 11:28:51 am »

If you go to the About page in the app, you can check if an update is available there.

Actually it looks like I have the latest version.  The library now loads.  But the app is not useable.

It does not seem to pick up the organization from the server.  I choose "Disk" which as far as I can tell is the closest thing to "Folders" but it only shows me a single show.  That particular show (The Avengers), is old and in AVI format but they will not play.  All I get is a grey blank screen.

Going into "Shows" is completely useless as it does not seem to be organized in any particular manner.  There does not seem to be any way to show a list so you only get these incredibly difficult to read tiles.

On my server when I click on "Shows" I get all my shows organized by Series Name, Season, Episode.  The display on the Android app is just a jumbled mess.  So the huge tiles with little text do nothing to help you find anything.

Didn't really try to play anything other than the 1 AVI as navigation of the app was obviously going to be an issue going forward.

Carl

BradATIMA

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2023, 05:02:37 pm »

When you load a library on Android, the layout comes from the server. To change the layout, on the server, go to Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Advanced -> Customize views for JRemote, Gizmo & Panel...

Keep in mind, you need to restart both the server and JRiver for Android after making any changes.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2023, 04:46:54 pm »

There were a couple of changes to how Android handles loading libraries. Try the next build and let me know if it works any better. It should be posted today or tomorrow, but it might take a few days before it clears Google's review. Just note, you should clear the app data before trying.

Sorry, it's taken so long to respond.

The latest build now loads my library. However, I noticed that after playing several songs, the sound quality degrades. This sound degradation doesn't seem to happen when I play an album from the local library on my SHIELD. Is there some setting I should double check on the server side when I play from the Media Server?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2023, 05:30:56 pm »

I thought that might happen with smartlists. It's a problem with Android 11+ and file permissions. We've been trying to figure out a solution for a while. The main problem is read-only permission only seems to apply to media files. Because the OS doesn't know what a jsxml file is, it seems to have restricted permissions.

Any solution to reading jsxml files yet?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2023, 05:56:10 pm »

Another update...

Everything is now working as it should. I can load my library with my NVIDIA Shield and the sound quality is fine. There are a couple things that I've changed that may have contributed to the solution. First, I bought a new router. I swapped out a Speedefy router for a TP-Link AX5400. I also cleaned up all of my firewall settings for Media Center and Media Center Extenders. There were multiple entries for Media Center. One with only private enabled, and the other with only public enabled. I deleted one Media Center entry and enabled both private and public on the remaining. I changed Media Center Extenders to enable both private and public.

If there are any security experts reading this, please let me know if this is not recommended.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up