INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connection to Weiss 501 DAC  (Read 599 times)

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
Connection to Weiss 501 DAC
« on: November 05, 2022, 04:49:34 pm »

I have a Weiss 501 DAC on my LAN, reachable with an IP address.  It comes up under Playing now, but stream is intermittent, and breaks up.  Running MC on Macbook, music lives in a database on the LAN in a Linux server (FreeNAS).  Music plays fine to Macbook, but at times I lose the Weiss altogether. 

I've read the doc on setting up DLNA access, but clearly missing something.

In addition, I find MC freezes up frequently.  Nothing will be active on the screen, as is the case at this moment.  I find myself quitting and restarting multiple times.

Clearly something quite wrong here.  I've succeeded, so far in this trial period, in retagging my 600 GB music file quite successfully, with a lot of help (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134350.0.html).

Suggestions?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Connection to Weiss 501 DAC
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 04:59:30 pm »

Try playing local files only.  Try playing ordinary FLAC files only.

Depending on what you're playing, it could be a network bandwidth issue.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 05:20:42 pm »

OK.  Wouldn't have thought that was an issue, but will give it a shot.

Thanks

dejanm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 04:18:35 am »

I have Weiss DSP 501, which is basically the same as DAC 501 but without DAC. I am streaming from my MAC Mini M1, on which I have attached two SSDs. And it works just fine. Both units are connected to the router with LAN cables.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 04:01:35 pm »

Steam is playing better, not perfect.  But now screen frozen.  Is there a debug option in this package, to give you a dump?

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 04:18:40 pm »

This package is not stable in my environment.  Is this really meant for Windows?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 05:04:34 pm »

I've been using MC since MC20 and have used almost all of the major versions in between 20 and 30.  In terms of stability, MC has been very stable.  For a while, on one piece of hardware, I had some audio dropouts.  But haven't had that in 6 or 8 years now.

MC only "freezes" on me when drives are asleep.  Then, after a pause for the drives to wake up an begin responding, MC becomes responsive again.  This generally only happens on first startup of MC.  I use ALL local drives.  Nothing on the network.

I suspect that your network attached drives are not available during some periods.  They are probably going to sleep and the NAS is not able to deliver data from those files until the drives wake up.  This is just a theory.

To test it, you could have a Finder window that you use to see if you can get a directory listing of the network drive where your music files are located.  Try to list the files when MC is being unresponsive.

How are you mounting the files from the NAS to your Mac?  Windows file sharing (SMB)?  Mac native file sharing?  NFS?  DLNA?

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 06:52:23 am »

You also might want to turn on logging.  Then make a log report after something strange happens.  Remember, logging has to be enabled *before* you have a problem.  Read the specifics here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Brian.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 11:55:09 am »

Logs attached.  After I started playing to the DAC, got the rainbow of death and inactive screen.  Not sure this is a crash, but sure wasn't working well.

Thanks

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 12:19:23 pm »

Audirvana has a thing called SysOptimizer, that elevates the priority of this task above others.  Does MC have something similar?

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 03:07:01 pm »

Have attached the logs of 30 pings to the 501 DAC.  This appears to be a network problem on my end.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 10:55:10 am »

Have attached the logs of 30 pings to the 501 DAC.  This appears to be a network problem on my end.
Yeah, that doesn't look good.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 12:33:02 pm »

Just a somewhat obvious observation:  Wired beats wireless every time.  When I first got my Nvidia Shield I was playing full resolution BluRay rips from my computer to the Shield.  The Shield was connected with wifi and had a nice strong connection.  I think it said it was 400 or 800 Mb/s.  However, in practice, on the largest bitrate movies, I was getting a few hiccups.

So I ran a flat, white ethernet cable around my house to connect the A/V rack with a 1Gb connection back to the switch/router.  As soon as that was done all hiccups disappeared.

These flat cables can be hidden much more easily than traditional cables.  For reference:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WD017GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brian.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 03:44:26 pm »

Was unaware of such animals.  Here's the one I bought, and I thought I was going high-end:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QLCHZW1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up