INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any change on SONOS support recently?  (Read 944 times)

zetetic

• Recent member
Any change on SONOS support recently?
« on: November 21, 2022, 01:39:53 am »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122895.msg851053.html#msg851053

I was looking at this old thread and could find nothing newer.

Does MC work any better or worse with Sonos devices than in 2019?

I am thinking of picking up three Sonos One SL's for my kids rooms and depending on how they go maybe some for myself.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any change on SONOS support recently?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 04:24:52 am »

I don't think so, but Sonus may be better at supporting DLNA/UPnP.  I used it enough to feel like it was working.

Try one before you buy more.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 08:24:11 am »

MC should see each Sonos speaker separately. You just need to select the one you want and play to it.

If you want to connect to multiple speakers, MC can link them into a group but since they are DNLA devices they will not stay in sync. However, you can play to one speaker and use the Sonos app to group speakers as desired.  That allows the Sonos system to keep them in sync.

You can also set up the Sonos app to scan your music files and create a music library that the Sonos app can use to play. It is a very primitive interface compared to MC, but your kids may like to use it.  The Sonos app only allows one music source to play at a time. So, if the kids want to play music separately, you may have to set each of them up with their own account. I am not sure how well that works if two people want to play to the same speaker.

The Sonos app also allows you to connect to streaming services and the kids may like that.  They may not have the same taste in music as you :)

zetetic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 08:22:46 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Based on all the reports I went and purchased 3 and they were an easy setup and play fine alone, haven't tested linked yet.

One weird thing that I don't know if it is Sonos or MC related..

They were all purchased from the same supplier at the same time, all setup and updated within about half an hour. When they show as devices in MC two show up with IP adress and one shows up as the room name, which makes it easy for that child to know which one is theirs but the other two have to guess if the IP ever changes.

This is what I see in Jremote2 for Android:
192.168.X.X1 - Sonos One SL
192.168.X.X2 - Sonos One SL
Room Name - Sonos One SL Media Renderer

I will try software update again just in case, but this seems odd.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 10:15:55 pm »

I use SONOS and MC all the time.  (That's all I use).  A stereo One set up.  A 5.1 theatre arc setup and two moves.

Yes, you get each speaker listed separately (except the arc setup), but if you group (at least for the ones), only the SONOS group name is listed in playing now.  That's very nice.   Same for the group name of the theatre setup - really nice.   However, the MOVE speakers behave differently and show up separately in playing now, even if group named (the SONOS group name appears twice).  Worse, one of the group names will generally not play and the other one will - so that is a a pain.  Solution that I did.  find out which one doesn't work and use MC to rename it in MC to something like "Don't Use".   Then it is not confusing. 

I have also tried the MC linking with the Move and the SONOs Ones.  Easy to link but there are huge timing problems that the adjustments in MC don't seem to be able to resolve (the timing seems to periodically change).  But this combination of MC and SONOS is wonderful.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up