INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too long to load and slow to respond  (Read 985 times)

desertglow

• Recent member
Too long to load and slow to respond
« on: December 08, 2022, 04:23:40 am »

It takes around 10-15 minutes to load and when it finally decides to appear it's very slow responding as I navigate around it  ie click playlists, spotlight.

Freezes and I have to constantly force quite.

Searched forum bit could not find any relevant topics

Running a iMac 12.3.1 Processor 3Ghz 6 core intel i-5

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Too long to load and slow to respond
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 07:49:18 am »

That's not normal at all.

Are your media files stored on a local drive?

Read the Logging topic on the wiki and see if you can find any long waits.  Looking for a drive that isn't there, for example.

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 01:06:24 am »

Thanks for reply. My Flac files are stored on a external HD.  I'll read the wiki entries and see if there are any suggestions. Right now the darn thing doesn't even boot up -just appears in my Force Quit pane in red font with a Not Responding tag.  I'll probably try a reinstall but I'm not impressed with an app I had high hopes for.
Checked the wiki page not result with the search + "not responding". Read other topics ie slow response etc but none of the suggestions applied to JRiver's problem. Reinstralled with latest build - same problem. Restarted pc. Reinstalled with last version ie .25. restarted PC.  Same. problem. Activity moniter has Media Centre chewing up my CPU at 98.5 %. Cannot find any trace of previous library meant to be at
/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 19/Library

In fact no Library subfolder in Username folder.
Had to use Force quit . Copied a crash report.

Perhaps this will help. Any assistance genuinely appreciated.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 06:05:33 am »

I'll probably try a reinstall but I'm not impressed with an app I had high hopes for

If you haven't heard of MC until recently I can understand why you might not have high confidence in it.  I had literally never heard of the product or company until I started researching players that could play a FLAC file on a Mac.  I *almost* didn't try MC because I mistakenly thought the Mac version was "beta" or something.  I'm SO GLAD I TRIED IT!

It's been 8 years now and 10 major versions of MC.  MC is a VERY solid player.  It's arguably the most sophisticated Media player and Library Manager available for Mac.  I hope you decide to stick with it.  It's capabilities are impressive.

Restarted pc.

You're not running this on a hackintosh are you?  I ask because you keep saying "pc".  If that's just what you say for "computer" then I understand.  But if you're running a hackintosh things might get weird.

Cannot find any trace of previous library meant to be at
/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 19/Library

Media Center version 19 is more than 8 years old.  Did you have that installed on this same computer at one time?  I don't understand the reference to version 19.

In fact no Library subfolder in Username folder.

Finder hides the Library folder inside your user folder.  You can show all hidden files in Finder with <command><shift><period> .  Then your Library folder will be visible and you can double click to open it.

I read something in a thread a few days ago that might apply:  Some people have had trouble getting version 30 to run unless they installed a previous version (like MC28) first.  Try installing and running 28.  Then try 30 again.

Here's a link to the last version of MC28 for Mac:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132366.0.html

Best of luck.

Brian.

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 02:01:36 am »

Thanks, appreciate your thorough reply.
I'm on an iMac.
Will go from scratch ie 28 and see what develops. Trust your claims attesting to the player's usual reliability are legit.

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 03:42:33 am »

Trried to install MC 28 but got error message saying I have already used my license for a newer version and I should download that. Am trying out MC 28 as a trial on my macair not my imac. So if I uninstall MC30 on my imac and then install MC28 as a trial then upgrade to MC 30 using my license I may be fine. Fingers crossed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 08:50:29 am »

Are you running antivirus software or anything else security related?

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 05:15:37 am »

No anti virus software.
Installed MC 28. It ran well until I played a certain file and then got back to "not repsonding" freeze. Removed said file from file library. Now I can't play any files at all since all attempts are greeted with Playback Problem-n Playback could noy be started on the output "Core Audio using the format 44.1 kHz 2 ch. This output format is the same that I'm using for my MC28 on my laptop which plays same files from same Ext HD Lib without any problems.

Thanks for all your input, gents.

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 05:37:55 am »

Update - restarted iMac and everything works well BUT still a 15 min delay (Not Responding) till app kicks off

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 02:39:37 pm »

Update - restarted iMac and everything works well BUT still a 15 min delay (Not Responding) till app kicks off
How many files in your collection?
MC might be scanning them on startup if you have auto-import turned on, if so you might try turning that off.

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 07:23:03 pm »

Difficult to say how many files since MC won't open but from memory I'd say around 3000.
I've already let MC30 launch for hours - eventually it crashes without opening.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 11:18:29 pm »

Try a version of MC 30 < = 30.0.25
report results

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 05:05:27 am »

Thanks for your timely response. So far so good. Keep up the admirable quality control and customer satisfaction.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2023, 11:05:36 am »

That's a good clue.
Newer versions will attempt to convert the database entries from deconstructed to preconstructed utf-8.
There's no particular reason why that should make it slow more than 1 time.
Once the database is converted that won't ever be run again.
There must be something odd about your database.
Is it read-only or recopied from somewhere every time you run?

desertglow

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 07:27:26 am »

sorry Bob your question is a doozy for me. How would I know which is which - ie precopied or otherwise?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 08:33:45 am »

sorry Bob your question is a doozy for me. How would I know which is which - ie precopied or otherwise?
Well, I guess the question boils down to where your database is stored? (the database, not the files).
The default is in
~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 30/Library
If it's somewhere else like on an attached drive that gets used by MC running on a different machine that might explain the issue.

If it's just in the normal place, would you be willing to make a backup of it (File->Library->Backup library) and email it to me so I can test with it?
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
I don't need any media files, just the library
Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up