INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Failure  (Read 939 times)

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
Import Failure
« on: December 18, 2022, 11:49:19 am »

For some reason, File/Library/Import refuses to load a file.  Music file sits in its own folder.  Import summary reports Imported 0 new files, In depth details (nothing).  File is 740 MB, aiff.

Have imported plenty of files in the past with no problems, although I've recently had server crashes and bounced between libraries.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Import Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 11:54:01 am »

Either it is already imported or the file types you selected don't include it.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 12:30:47 pm »

The file I'm trying to import, and the file type parameters are attached.  Don't know how to further select .aiff

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 02:17:46 pm »

I tried other files, and they worked.  Although I can click on this file, and play it with VLC, apparently is it not digestible by MC.  Color me confused.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 07:17:40 pm »

Finally skinned this cat.  Went to the Internet and bought an MP3 copy of the music, and loaded this to MC, and it plays fine.  The version I tried to unsuccessfully load came from YouTube, and was a big file with all 23 songs played continuously for more than an hour.

There was something about this file downloaded from YouTube that MC would not accept, although I have downloaded thousands of others just like it with no problem. 

Who knows??

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 04:30:31 pm »

Strange. I can import and play aiff fine.
What does VLC show for the audio codec info?

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 06:18:50 pm »

The codec information is attached.  Aiff is my default file type, and I've loaded up dozens of aiff's as well.

I had assumed that the explanation for this was that there was sort of a DRM in the file.  Is there a way I can analyze the contents of such a file in a more detailed fashion?

This is part of a process of harvesting YouTube files that contain 2-3 hours of continuous Christmas music.  I have downloaded these files from YouTube, converted them to aiff and then try to load them into MC.  None of them are loading. 

Structurally, the files are continuous music, instead of a selection of separate songs.  Other than that I can't imagine why they're not loading.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 06:43:02 pm »

The codec information is attached.  Aiff is my default file type, and I've loaded up dozens of aiff's as well.

I had assumed that the explanation for this was that there was sort of a DRM in the file.  Is there a way I can analyze the contents of such a file in a more detailed fashion?

This is part of a process of harvesting YouTube files that contain 2-3 hours of continuous Christmas music.  I have downloaded these files from YouTube, converted them to aiff and then try to load them into MC.  None of them are loading. 

Structurally, the files are continuous music, instead of a selection of separate songs.  Other than that I can't imagine why they're not loading.
Interesting. Doesn't seem like it's really a PCM file. It appears to be a specific, designed for voice, low bandwidth code.
https://www.rowetel.com/?page_id=452

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 06:58:25 pm »

This is interesting, thanks.

I'm curious about how you managed to deconstruct that file.  What did you use to analyze it?

Is there a particular reason the publisher of this file would have chosen this format?  Are they deliberately trying to prevent usage in contexts other than YouTube where I found it?  The format, as I mentioned, typically was 1-2 hrs background Christmas music.

And I suppose this explains why MC wouldn't accept it?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 07:03:45 pm »

This is interesting, thanks.

I'm curious about how you managed to deconstruct that file.  What did you use to analyze it?

Is there a particular reason the publisher of this file would have chosen this format?  Are they deliberately trying to prevent usage in contexts other than YouTube where I found it?  The format, as I mentioned, typically was 1-2 hrs background Christmas music.

And I suppose this explains why MC wouldn't accept it?
I was just googling the codec your VLC screenshot returned.
I assume they chose it because it compresses a LOT and focuses on voice in that compression.

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 07:23:31 pm »

Thanks for figuring this out.  Is there anything I could do to make MC accept these files?  As I recall, I downloaded them as MP3's and then converted them to aiff using Media Human software. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 10:04:34 pm »

Thanks for figuring this out.  Is there anything I could do to make MC accept these files?  As I recall, I downloaded them as MP3's and then converted them to aiff using Media Human software.
Since you originally downloaded them to mp3 either use those or reconvert in your Media Human software, looking to using a different codec

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 10:18:32 pm »

Went back to the original MP3, and it still wouldn't load.  Downloaded some other music, converted it to aiff, which loaded just fine. 

Problem appears to be associated with these particular files.  Still scratching my head.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 05:51:50 am »

Obvious Question  - Since AIFF is virtually a file in PCM Format why are you converting files in MP3 Format (which is a lossy format) back to PCM (which is not a lossy format)?
Also how did you extract the Audio from the  YouTube Video?

Bob - It looks like that codec may be from Apple - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format

Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 07:43:03 am »

AIFF was chosen as my default format--as I recall--because it was the format that best preserved metadata when files are copied from one place to another, or so it was claimed.  I have a variety of files I upload to MC, many of them from ripped CD's, but also files I download from YouTube, which accounts for the MP3.

I download the YouTube files with Media Human YouTube downloader

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 08:02:13 am »

I removed the crack site link from your post. 

Day Radebaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 08:17:24 am »

I see; thanks.  Did not pay attention to that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up