INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary Of Remote Apps for Android  (Read 789 times)

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Summary Of Remote Apps for Android
« on: March 01, 2023, 08:39:45 am »

I am trying to figure out which Android app I should be using. Is there a summary of what each app does? Are they all actually JRiver products?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=JRiver&hl=en_SG

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Summary Of Remote Apps
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 08:57:23 am »

Take a look at the wiki topic called Remotes.

The Play Store will tell you which ones are from JRiver.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 09:07:49 am »

I only see information regarding Gizmo and JRemote and there is no detail saying how they differ from each other.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 09:16:26 am »

I only see information regarding Gizmo and JRemote and there is no detail saying how they differ from each other.

Gizmo and JRemote offer a somewhat similar functional experience, both are remotes that allow either controlling JRiver MC on a computer or streaming media from JRiver MC on a computer to a phone.  But JRemote is more polished, nicer looking, and has a few extra features (it supports streaming in the original audio format to the phone if the phone supports it, and a few other things).  I'd suggest trying Gizmo because it's free. If you feel like there are features you're missing or you'd like an app with a little more flash, upgrade to JRemote.

The JRiver for Android app isn't a remote app, it's an android port of JRiver Media Center that runs locally on your phone.  I don't know anything about the other two apps, but I think they're related to home automation stuff more broadly, not just MediaCenter?

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 09:26:14 am »

BingoSSDP is an SSDP utility, so it will scan whatever local network it's connect to and give you a list of other connected devices, as well as some information about them. OneRemote was related to home automation.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 09:40:46 am »

Very helpful. Thank you!

Do I understand correctly that none of them (JRemote2, Gizmo, or JRiver for Android) sync from a server to the device?

I hope that JRiver will provide better descriptions of these various products in the Google Play store. Maybe I'm the only one confused by them all!  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 10:20:16 am »

The wiki describes the remotes.  Links are in the main Remotes topic.

We don't support loading an iPhone or iPad at all.  Apple encrypts the database.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 10:21:34 am »

Do I understand correctly that none of them (JRemote2, Gizmo, or JRiver for Android) sync from a server to the device?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 10:32:03 am »

Use Handheld sync on Androids to sync files to a device.

iPhone and iPad are not supported as Handhelds.

Wiki.

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Summary Of Remote Apps for Android
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 10:58:04 am »

Thank you.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
Re: Summary Of Remote Apps for Android
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 11:15:08 am »

A little late to the party, but here's the list of installs on my Android phone:

• MO 4Media (clean "modern" look, very actively supported by cncb, annual subscription is worth it to me)
  • JRemote2
  • JRiver Panel (free, runs in a browser, always worth a try)
  • Gizmo (free)
  • Bubble-UPNP for Android (free trial, purchased license)

First four are ordered by personal usage, starting with most played to least.  Of these, if one works or not at any given time, the rest follow suit (i.e. I don't find technical issues assignable to the players themselves), so selection pretty much comes down to my mood and desire for variety.  Gizmo seems to be the oldest and has the clunkiest UI.  Bubble-UPnP for Android is different in that it runs a DLNA server on the phone (which appears as a zone under Playing Now on the MC server); it is probably the most robust in that it sometimes works when the others don't.

For me, "works" means remotely controlling my MC server's play to Chromecast Audio renderers (made to look like DLNA targets via Bubble UPNP on the server) in a home network.   Over the last year or so I find they all work pretty reliably.  However I cannot comment on other features, such as video, connecting externally in a car, paid streaming, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up