INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3-PC-Solution: Server - Renderer - Controller: Latency  (Read 283 times)

TristanG

• Junior Woodchuck
3-PC-Solution: Server - Renderer - Controller: Latency
« on: March 11, 2023, 04:45:48 am »

As I wrote under

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135123.0.html

the 3 PC solution has the advantage of maintaining only one library (Server-Main-Library) for a back up and no need to synchronize i.e.
It works, but has the following disadvantages over the 2 PC solution:

1. Sometimes, I still have to switch the TV on since the Renderer-PC (connected to the HiFi as external USB soundcard) can't connect to the Server's Main Library instantly; MC asks for loading another or the local main library which I have to answer manually.

2. The Controller (MC on a Surface Book 3 as well as Gizmo/JRemote on an Android tablet) doesn't work as fluently as with the 2 PC solution (Renderer is also the Server-PC). This is a main disadvantage since it causes
a) interruptions/distortions after "Pause"/"Play": MC stops the stream instead of pausing it so my HiFi-Streamer mutes every time, I klick "Play" after "Pause"
b) Cover art doesn't generate as fluently as usual when scrolling the album collection
c) For-/Backwarding in a track reacts also with a lot more latency.

I have to say that I use the regular 1GBit inhouse network. Regardless of a thinkable 10GB network - what can I do to optimize the latency?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 3-PC-Solution: Server - Renderer - Controller: Latency
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 08:51:41 am »

As I wrote under

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135123.0.html

the 3 PC solution has the advantage of maintaining only one library (Server-Main-Library) for a back up and no need to synchronize i.e.
It works, but has the following disadvantages over the 2 PC solution:

1. Sometimes, I still have to switch the TV on since the Renderer-PC (connected to the HiFi as external USB soundcard) can't connect to the Server's Main Library instantly; MC asks for loading another or the local main library which I have to answer manually.

2. The Controller (MC on a Surface Book 3 as well as Gizmo/JRemote on an Android tablet) doesn't work as fluently as with the 2 PC solution (Renderer is also the Server-PC). This is a main disadvantage since it causes
a) interruptions/distortions after "Pause"/"Play": MC stops the stream instead of pausing it so my HiFi-Streamer mutes every time, I klick "Play" after "Pause"
b) Cover art doesn't generate as fluently as usual when scrolling the album collection
c) For-/Backwarding in a track reacts also with a lot more latency.

I have to say that I use the regular 1GBit inhouse network. Regardless of a thinkable 10GB network - what can I do to optimize the latency?

I use a 3 system solution too. There isn't 'that' much you can do structurally to improve the latency on connected clients with JRiver, IIRC. You say that the Surface you use doesn't get 'cover art' as fluidly as the other clients so I think we can assume that this is more on the realities of networking than storage / metadata latency.

The JRiver guys may have some ideas about a local cache?

For my film / television library, this kind of latency or rather perceived 'loading' on things like poster art was a big point of contention for me. In my case, I was able to make some significant improvements by locating all the metadata and assets on very fast SSD storage, laying that over my media files.

Pages: [1]   Go Up