INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video & HDR On MacOS?  (Read 865 times)

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Video & HDR On MacOS?
« on: March 22, 2023, 10:17:49 am »

So uh, does JRVR and specifically HDR work correctly under MacOS on the M1s and M2s?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video & HDR On MacOS?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 10:40:55 am »

JRVR runs on MacOS.  I don't know if it has limits.

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 11:23:50 am »

see:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133870.0.html

From the general GPU performance M2 Pro seems in the class of RTX 3050 TI mobile:
https://www.notebookcheck.com/Apple-MacBook-Pro-14-2023-im-Test-Der-M2-Pro-wird-im-kleinen-MacBook-Pro-eingebremst.684532.0.html.

Seems not many people here in the forum are using a new Mac M1, M2, M2 Pro for video.

If it would work I would replace my Win11 in compliant Win 10 PC with 7.5 years old GTX 960 in the Living room with a Mac Mini M2 Pro. But the rare usage in the forum has not convinced me to do that.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

eve

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 12:07:14 pm »

see:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133870.0.html

From the general GPU performance M2 Pro seems in the class of RTX 3050 TI mobile:
https://www.notebookcheck.com/Apple-MacBook-Pro-14-2023-im-Test-Der-M2-Pro-wird-im-kleinen-MacBook-Pro-eingebremst.684532.0.html.

Seems not many people here in the forum are using a new Mac M1, M2, M2 Pro for video.

If it would work I would replace my Win11 in compliant Win 10 PC with 7.5 years old GTX 960 in the Living room with a Mac Mini M2 Pro. But the rare usage in the forum has not convinced me to do that.

This is sort of what I'm looking at. 3050ti is getting close to what's needed (from a Windows x86_64 + MadVR perspective) but from what I've seen with native Metal stuff, theoretically the 'hardware performance' may matter less.

CoreAudio brings to the table something really interesting for my use case.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 12:10:56 pm »

JRVR does not have a Metal backend. It currently runs on OpenGL on Mac, which is not ideal, but works. But we are looking into integrating MoltenVK to use as a Vulkan -> Metal translation layer for improved features. But that may be a while yet.

As for HDR, theoretically its possible, but on the current OpenGL backend I don't believe it works.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eve

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 12:17:30 pm »

JRVR does not have a Metal backend. It currently runs on OpenGL on Mac, which is not ideal, but works. But we are looking into integration MoltenVK to use as a Vulkan -> Metal translation layer for improved features. But that may be a while yet.

As for HDR, theoretically its possible, but on the current OpenGL backend I don't believe it works.
Yeah I know JRVR doesn't use Metal. MoltenVK would be nice!! From looking at what Metal does 'uniquely' with Apple's GPU hardware, I've just been wondering what its capabilities might be in terms of real time scaling.

Thanks for clarifying HDR support. Definitely seems spotty, there's a few other players on MacOS that claim to do it but if you go into their issue trackers, you can see there's some debate about how 'accurate' it is, when referencing QuickTime which apparently may present HDR from retail / home video sources correctly.

Karl78

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 07:14:23 pm »

Infuse seems to play correctly HDR on Silicon and Ventura. Anyway I am married :-) to JRiver (and to madVR then and JRVR now) on Win so I would like to stick with it on Mac M too. I am following with interest...
Pages: [1]   Go Up