INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest version won't play through headphones on M1 Pro Macbook  (Read 875 times)

TP1964

• World Citizen

The latest version plays about 2 seconds of audio on bluetooth headphones, then cuts out. Strangely, it plays fine through the built-in Macbook speakers. Then switching back to headphones and same thing - it plays for a few seconds then cuts out (the file is still playing, just no audio.)

Seems isolated to JRiver - I can play Apple Music with no issues. No settings have changed on my JRiver nor my machine since upgrading. Any thoughts?

HS12

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Latest version won't play through headphones on M1 Pro Macbook
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 01:27:01 am »

Same problem here on M1 MBP, MC30.0.87 does not output to headphones, only main speakers where headphones work fine in all other cases,

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 08:44:31 am »

Nothing has changed in the audio section from the last build.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 08:50:16 am »

Settings probably.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 09:04:18 am »

Bob, Jim - with all due respect - nothing changed in the settings that were working perfectly in the last version. And just because nothing changed in MC's audio section doesn't mean that Apple didn't decide to make some change in the latest OS update. Which coincidentally or otherwise, after upgrading is when the problems started. Now you have 2 users having the same problem, so unless both of our settings are wrong, I think it might be worth looking into it further. I thought the purpose of these forums was to report issues. I'm going to downgrade back to the last version to see if that makes any difference. If not, then perhaps something has changed in the OS, because that is the only other change I've made.

I'll report back.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 09:29:32 am »

There's something wacky going on. I tried it with my airpods pro which used to work.
They are reporting bizarre sample rate support, even in Audio Midi setup.
They claim to only support 2 channel 32 bit float at 705.6khz sample rate. It's like they are stuck in a unstable state.
Even if I set MC to that they don't work.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 09:41:32 am »

Yup - same thing I experienced and the only way to clear it up is to shut down MC and disconnect and reconnect the headphones (mine are AirPods Max)

I did go back to .83 and it still does it. So I don't think it's MC - I think something has changed with Ventura.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 09:45:03 am »

Bob - give this a try - I locked all sample rates to 48K in MC and it seems to stabilize. 96K used to work with no problem.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 10:20:04 am »

Yeah, I think I know what's going on.
The initial set to a non-supported sample rate seems to send it into la-la land

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 02:43:47 pm »

Yeah, I think I know what's going on.
The initial set to a non-supported sample rate seems to send it into la-la land
Next build will query the device for supported sample rates before trying to set one. That should prevent those devices from losing their minds  ;)

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 03:36:29 pm »

Fantastic, Bob

Glad to hear it. Great work!

HS12

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 04:33:31 am »

I have figured out that playback does weird stuff to Apple sound settings. When playing 30.0.89 through M1 MBP speakers the speaker icon I  status bar has a bar through it yet plays fine. When inserting headphones the speaker icon changes to headphone icon. When play starts the sound still only comes through speakers. If I go into MC tools options audio device I can now select either speakers or external headphones. Using external Speakers (core audio) now plays through headphones but sound icon shows speaker. If I then remove headphones and try and play you get the something went wrong with playback message. when headphones are reinserted play is allowed again. To get back to play through MBP speaker its back into tool options sound device and select default core audio or MacBook speakers. then the speaker icon has bar through it again even though playing fine. So there are workarounds but MC seems to confuse the MBP sound cards.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 02:24:53 am »

I have two different bluetooth headphones, AirPods Pro 2 and Sennheiser Momentum 4.
Both play fine with all Apple music but are very selective with MC:
the AirPods only play with MC if a file is 48 kHz, the Momentum with 44 kHz.
But, at least, they are playing.
Is there any possibility other than every time to change the DSP?
Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2023, 02:47:55 am »

I found an easier solution, making different presets on DSP & output for the headphones.
It would be even easier if I could choose the source for the output and the DSP would change to the preset values of the source.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 02:30:30 pm »

I found an easier solution, making different presets on DSP & output for the headphones.
It would be even easier if I could choose the source for the output and the DSP would change to the preset values of the source.
Try creating a zone for each output device and select the audio device and DSP presets by zone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up