INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 30.0.87 crashes on trying to import this .PSD file  (Read 577 times)

kr37

• Recent member

This seems like a bug report. When importing a certain file, Media Center 30 doesn't give any error message, it just quits and disappears. After that, when I restart MC30, it will quit and disappear again in under 1 minute. ps -A|grep media shows mediacenter30 is gone.

I'm just trialing MC30 (love it, except for crashing). I've narrowed the problem down from amongst thousands of files, that it doesn't like this one file. (There might be others after this one). It's not so much that I need that file, but it takes a long time to narrow it down.

Update (fixed link): Here is a link to the offending file: World Peace merged3.psd
Also, I noticed you can uncheck .psd files. Did that and the entire library imported, no crashing after 10 minutes. So it really seems to be just with PSD files, or that one file.

This is on Debian 11 Bullseye, linux-image5.10.0-21 (5.10.161-1), Netrunner distro KDE plasmashell 5.20.5
Any help is appreciated.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 30.0.87 crashes on trying to import this .PSD file
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 11:33:41 pm »

So, I don't use Linux and know next to nothing about it, but did some experimenting on Windows...

MC for windows imports your file, but cannot get a thumbnail for it, nor can it read the dimensions of the image in the psd file.
I tried a few of my own, and they were fine. Why?

I have Photoshop set to save psd files with maximum compatibility, and thought it might be that, so saved a copy of yours as-is, but that gave the same results inside MC. What else then?
If you open your psd file in Photoshop, then look under "Image > Mode" you will see that it is 32 bits per channel. MC (for Windows, at least) doesn't seem to like these. I saved two more copies of your file, one at 16 bits and one at 8 bits per channel. MC was able to retrieve thumbnails and image dimensions for these two files (though the 16 bit thumbnails were some wierd kind of contact sheet thing).

I also saved one of my own files at 32 bits per channel and this exhibited the same behaviour in MC for Windows as your file.

If you could do similar tests, with other psd files too if possible, it would help confirm if this is the cause of your crash, which in turn, might help the dev team fix it, if they can.

-marko

kr37

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 01:04:33 am »

Thank you, Marko, for all that research.

Based on that, I let MC30 import all the rest of the PSDs, and they were all fine. So there's just that one file that it chokes on ungracefully. I don't actually use Photoshop myself, and that file is from 2010, so it may just not be worth the effort for anyone to do any further research.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 03:54:44 pm »

Hi Marko.  Could you email me a few of the files that we're failing on?  Also include a JPEG of one so I can double-check the colors. 

I'm wondering if we could add support.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 11:17:00 pm »

Sent. Although, I'm not sure it's worth it...

Testing with software I have here, Directory Opus cannot preview 32 bit psd files, and ACDSee 2021 cannot open them. Apparently, they can contain trillions of colours.

jpg only support 8 bit. You cannot export a 32 bit psd file as jpg from photoshop, but you can get one from a 16 bit psd file.
There's loads of info out there about this, much of it waaay over my head. I found this useful...
https://www.bwillcreative.com/8-bit-vs-16-bit-vs-32-bit-in-photoshop/

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up