INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the new features? Also some website feedback  (Read 747 times)

Isaacc7

• Recent member
What are the new features? Also some website feedback
« on: April 20, 2023, 06:50:10 pm »

Got an email about early upgrades to MC 31 but there is nary a mention of what 31 offers and why we should upgrade. No problem, I’ll just check out the website. Huh, there isn’t any mention of the current version or what’s coming. Hit the forum and I don’t see anything about 31. I tried looking at the release notes on the wiki to see what has been added since MC28 and all I could find is a wall of text going over every single bug fix and interface tweak as well as new features sprinkled in. Is there a simpler way to see what I will be getting by upgrading?

I find the website really frustrating and just plain old. There are broken links, ancient testimonials, and really unhelpful links that dump you into the wiki or forum. Honestly, if I was looking for some audio playback software the website would not fill me with confidence about the state of the company. I understand that JRiver is quite a bit deeper than the likes of Audionirvana and Roon (it’s why i use it after all) but you have to admit that their websites are much more informative and enticing.

Anyway, hope that didn’t come across as too negative but I did get mighty frustrated looking for info about giving JRiver my money. I understand that a whole new website is a massive undertaking and it will take time for it to be done. And I do think it needs to be done. In the meantime I suggest letting us know what is new and coming in the new versions in the email pitching us on buying the new version. Thanks. 

herebedragons69

• Recent member
Re: What are the new features? Also some website feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:49:15 pm »

+1 What are the new features? Came here for the same thing.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 06:29:12 pm »

I have to agree with Isaacc7.

I am paying for all these upgrades and yet there continues to be problems with the software. I am beginning to think that JRiver is a cash cow. Feed me feed me.
 Case in point I just upgraded to JRiver Media Center 30.0.93. I clicked on tools/options. Guess what? the option window does not opened. Then we get updates and reminders that the updates are not stable. What the heck is going on?

Just check on how many upgrades there are and multiply that by the number of subscribers. Food for thought.

When are they going to give us a piece of software that has no bugs.

Peace!

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 06:35:54 pm »

My questions aren't about the website structure but rather the overall performance of MC 30 Mac. I've had a rather disappointing experience with v.30 all the way through. Even now with the most recent update, I can't use it. I've been a loyal fan since MC 17 over 12 years ago. The Mac version was new then. Even though I use it on two different platforms now (Windows as well), I kept hoping I'd solve the technical issues with the Mac version. Now that MC 31 is in development, I feel like it's way to soon for a new version, especially on the Mac. I haven't even solved the issues with MC 30 and now I wonder if I should upgrade the Mac side at all. MC 30 is fantastic on Windows. MC always has been great on that platform. The Mac program's performance has been muted, but v.30 was not good for me in any way. It's not something I like to say but the Mac development is falling short of what I expect of Media Center.

I posted a general inquiry to the developers. I am reluctant to post negative feedback on the forums without discussing it with the crew first. For all I know, the issues I've been having could be solved with something incredibly obvious. We only need to find it.

-- Tom (Maeghaus)
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 06:53:26 pm »

It is taking too long to get stable versions.

Look at this thread here:https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135524.0.html

Download Universal Silicon/Intel 64 bit build
https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v30/latest/MediaCenter300087-Universal.dmg (minimum requirement MacOS 10.11)

Note: This should be considered a beta build. We are not auto-updating to anything past 30.0.25 yet.

You are up to version 30.0.87 but your stable version is only 30.0.25!

Yet you want us to fill your pockets with more money for a 31 version.

Where in the world this happens?

Peace!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 08:36:45 pm »

Most of you posting here don't seem to be aware of JRiver's release methodology.  There's a post about it in the windows forum called something like "JRiver's Business Model". You might enjoy reading it.  Here's the summary:

JRiver doesn't really do major versions like other companies.  With most software a major version is something that's been worked on, in secret, for months.  The code can be radically different.  The interface and features might be very different.  It all seems "new".  JRiver does not do that.

Instead they make incremental changes all year, week after week, month after month.  The software slowly changes as they add, fix, and remove.  At some point they decide to call their effort a new major version.  Sometimes they will hold back a feature or two that is in development and include that early on in the release cycle of the new major version.  But it gets rolled in just like everything else:  One piece at a time.

The day MC31 is released, it's probably going to be nearly identical to the last release of 30.  They might throw in a feature or two they've been working on.  But it won't be some major departure or redesign or anything else.  It's all incremental.

I'm quite surprised that there are several complaints of instability and slow performance.  My experience has not shown either of those things.  I mean I see that the scrolling on Mac is "slow" compared to Windows, but it's not actually "slow".  It's just visually ugly as it stutters and jumps, as opposed to being smooth.  Playback of various files all works correctly without interruptions, drop outs, etc.  It plays an incredible array of audio and video; all properly.

I'm not denying that any of you have real issues with MC.  I'm just saying that I haven't seen any real issues in a while.  Some minor little things; sure.  But the product overall is extremely solid and has been for a very long time.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 12:32:57 am »

It is taking too long to get stable versions.

Look at this thread here:https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135524.0.html

Download Universal Silicon/Intel 64 bit build
https://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v30/latest/MediaCenter300087-Universal.dmg (minimum requirement MacOS 10.11)

Note: This should be considered a beta build. We are not auto-updating to anything past 30.0.25 yet.

You are up to version 30.0.87 but your stable version is only 30.0.25!

Yet you want us to fill your pockets with more money for a 31 version.

Where in the world this happens?

Peace!
Our primary developer on Mac is Bob.  He's as good as they get on both hardware and software.  He's been very cautious about pushing an update to everyone, but the Latest channel has very recent builds.  You could subscribe to it under the Help Menu.

Apple has updated their development tools several times during the transition to M1, and we have seen some issues.  They are careless about backward compatibility.  I consider their development tools to be flawed.  Bob is probably too kind to say so.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 04:51:55 pm »

I am now for many years a user of MediaCenter for Mac and a big fan, telling everyone that this is absolutely the best software you can get for any kind of media.
On a Mac you had iTunes and now have Apple music - with much more restrictions and less possibilities but and this may be important for many: it's free and it's
fully integrated into the Apple system. All things like window management, special characters and much more work as in every other Mac program
MC changed many things over the years and is much more integrated now but still feels like Windows program translated for Mac bu not fully integrated or working
like all other programs on the Mac - many of them first developed for Windows.
And: MC is not free.
I understand that you guys and girls have to live and it's fair to pay every year something that MediaCenter can survive (even if a new version doesn't offer really important new things).
Up to now I bought every new update and will do once again but certainly no more if the distance between new versions becomes shorter and shorter.
In this case the previous announcement for a new version has been in September, the rolling-out in October. Now it's end of April.
Frank

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 08:05:48 pm »

I'm still getting an MC 31 Master License regardless of any critical views I have of MC Mac 30. And I also agree that Media Center is a tremendous program. It only seems that I am not getting anywhere with my issue with MC 30 Mac (I am posting a topic on this forum about what's going on to see if anyone knows the solution). Since I've been a member on this forum since over a decade ago, this complaint is the only time I wasn't satisfied with the program.

I do have feature requests for MC Mac I am planning on asking about. MC has so many features in it that I haven't used. It is a very powerful program. I'm staying with JRiver because I know everyone there listens to us. That is unlike the product support of most software.

-- Maeghaus (Tom)
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop
Pages: [1]   Go Up