INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interment static / white noise  (Read 1814 times)

JeremyFife

• Recent member
Interment static / white noise
« on: May 01, 2023, 02:48:35 am »

Hi,
I've registered MC30 for windows
 I use an oldish HP Win 10 laptop (Intel i7). ASIO drivers into an external DAC for stereo music.  Internet radio, Amazon music (WDM) and flac files stored on a SD card.
Everything plays well except that I regularly - daily - get an issue where the music is replaced with white noise or static. Mostly happens when I change source, but not always. Fixes itself over time, sometimes I can restart MC30 and that works, but sometimes I just need to wait.
The speakers are fine if I connect another source (my phone).
I can see the signal go to white noise (in the visualisation) so it's not the DAC.
Tried wasapi, no difference.
This is really annoying!
Any thoughts?
Any thoughts

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Interment static / white noise
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 03:23:01 am »

Can you test with another DAC? 

JeremyFife

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 02:07:04 pm »

I'll try that - if I can find an adapter for my phone's headphone dongle.
I was pretty sure the cause is before my DAC because I can see the waveform change (but I accept that I'm no expert)

JeremyFife

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 10:59:28 am »

Typically, it's not doing it now ... I will update the post if/when it re-occurs

JeremyFife

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 10:29:27 am »

Update
Issue still happening.
#1 Replaced desktop DAC with a 'dongle' DAC - into the same speakers via the same AUX input
#2 Happened even when I'd forgotten to turn my desktop DAC on - no audio obviously, but the spectrum shape in the display window is unmistakeable

Also happens if I've been playing music via my Amazon Desktop App - which plays through JRiver (because I use ASIO?).  When I switch back to JRiver I got static and had to restart

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 11:03:11 am »

I use an oldish HP Win 10 laptop (Intel i7). ASIO drivers into an external DAC for stereo music.  Internet radio, Amazon music (WDM) and flac files stored on a SD card.
It's not clear to me if the SD card is always the music source when you experience the noise issue (Amazon desktop app: streaming or downloaded files?).  If so, SD card or reader might be the problem.  Three thoughts re the source:

1) Latest card reader driver?  Latest drivers all around?

2) What is your setting for MC Options > Audio > Settings > Memory Playback?  Try changing it.

3) What happens if your music files are stored on a local Hard Drive or SSD, instead of the SD card (change the path in MC Options > File Location > Audio)?  You could create a small test library or else copy over all your music files.

JeremyFife

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 10:28:21 am »

Hi, and thank you

The Static issue mostly happens when I'm streaming BBC Radio (BBC Sounds, BBC 6 Music) which I've set up in WMD.  Strangely, it's not been too bad recently.
But, no, the SD card is not my primary source of music.  That's mostly BBC 6 as WMD or my Amazon App

My Settings/Memory Playback option was set to "no memory playback".
> I've changed it now to "load full file (not decoded) into memory"

The card reader driver, and all drivers, are up to date (as far as I can tell) according to Control Panel.  Just the standard windows drivers for the card reader.

I'll try some local files too.  I don't have enough disk space to copy everything

I'll see how that playback change affects things.  Thanks again

JeremyFife

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 07:01:23 am »

Update - upgraded to MC31 and I haven't seen the issue again - all good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up