INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring from a Backup  (Read 1115 times)

manolo2001

• Recent member
Restoring from a Backup
« on: May 11, 2023, 11:56:52 am »

Hi, I somehow yesterday updated my MC to version 31.0.9 and after the install, all my settings, library etc. had been erased.  I imagine this is not normal behavior.  Is this a beta, as I can't see it for download here in the forums.

Thanks

Manuel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 31.0.9 MacOS Intel
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 12:03:29 pm »

Restore a backup from a previous version.  [wiki]

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 01:11:43 pm »

The Mac Version of MC doesn't find the old library or settings like the windows version does.  You must restore a library backup when you do a major version upgrade, like when you go from MC30 to MC31.  I just did so and it's now playing the same song it was when I stopped MC30.  :)

I have a few other customizations that have to be moved over as well, including some skins.

Brian.

manolo2001

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 06:38:02 pm »

OK thanks I will see how to make backups or find them if they are done automatically.

Thanks

Manuel

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 08:46:18 pm »

Backups are made automatically.  Something like every 2 days or so.  Backups are stored in the directory set by this option:

Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups

Restoring a backup:  File > Library Restore Library
Check the box to restore settings also if you want your settings from the old version.

Making manual backups is similar:  File > Library > Backup Library

Best of luck,
Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 11:09:41 pm »

and [wiki]

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 05:58:54 am »

Bob - Is there any possibility of you changing the panel that appears in the Bottom of the Tree when a New Version of MC is installed.

Thanks to Mac OS cutting 3 in times to get the user to give permssions for MC to be able to do something, and then forcing MC to restart, I got fed up of making sure MC31 using Auto-Import, which would probably find nothing, from running.

Instead of the current option, letting Auto-Import run using unknown settings, how about having the following set of options:-
"New/Clean Install" - which when selected would switch to the Auto-Import Settings page,
"Restore Library from Backup", which when selected would open a form to aallow the user to select which backup to restore from, this one would only restore the library
"Restore Library And Settings from Backup", which when selected would open a form to aallow the user to select which backup to restore from, this one would restore the library, plaaylists and settings.
"Copy Standard View Skins and TrackInfo Plugins from Previous Version"
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 06:08:06 am »

and [wiki]

I've seen you post this several times.  It's just text.  There is no link to the wiki.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 06:15:17 am »

[wiki] == [Please read the wiki.  You will find a topic there on this subject.]

or

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=jriver+wiki+backup

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 06:25:38 am »

Brian,
Unlike you, I'm old.  It's getting harder for me to type, so I try to find shortcuts.

You're young and full of energy and keystrokes.  It's deeply appreciated.

So when I say, wiki, there's obviously more I could or should say, but unfortunately, I can't.

Jim

blgentry

Re: Restoring from a Backup
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 07:28:03 am »

I understand.  I thought there was a technology issue where you were using a forum feature that didn't insert the link.  I see now that it's just JHS (Jim H. Shorthand).  :)

A friend of mine is in poor heath from a variety of factors and can't really type any more.  His "typing" is mostly speech to text these days.  I feel terrible for him.  ...and I sympathize with you.

I've recently been describing myself as "getting old".  It's heartening, funny, and uplifting to be described as "young".  Thanks.  :)

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 07:49:41 am »

How do you come to version 31.0.9?
Up to now I only can see 30.0..... on these pages.
Frank

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 08:35:12 am »

It's only on the downloads page right now.

https://jriver.com/download.html

I assume in the next few days there will be an MC31 for Mac forum where it will also be posted.

Brian.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 09:39:33 am »

Thanks for the link. I just downloaded it, pasted the registration code and imported the saved library from version 30.
It works perfect - after having set all demanded permissions from the Mac system.
I can't discover anything new but think that with a new version, posted in the forum, I will know.
Frank

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 10:22:59 am »

Bob - Is there any possibility of you changing the panel that appears in the Bottom of the Tree when a New Version of MC is installed.

Thanks to Mac OS cutting 3 in times to get the user to give permssions for MC to be able to do something, and then forcing MC to restart, I got fed up of making sure MC31 using Auto-Import, which would probably find nothing, from running.

"Copy Standard View Skins and TrackInfo Plugins from Previous Version"

I'll second this concern. Three times yesterday, as I installed MC31 on three machines, I had to race to turn off the auto-import function - while the timer counted down, as I battled multiple permissions dialogs.

Please avoid the default of auto-import.

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 10:34:46 am »

It does feel a little bit like a video game installing MC.  I would welcome the removal of auto import countdown on install.  I've stated that same opinion since the feature was introduced about 7 years ago.  That would make it a little less cumbersome to install it.

Thanks for listening.
Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 10:41:12 am »

You should be able to click to stop the countdown.  You should have 45 seconds to do that.  Apple doing it's own thing might cause problems.

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 10:46:15 am »

I was able to stop the countdown all 3 times for each install yesterday.  It works just fine.  However there is a sense of time urgency.  When you launch MC, the permissions dialogs come up almost immediately.  If you click on MC, you kind of lose the dialog behind all of your other windows.  So you really want to click the dialog and then go set the permissions inside of Mac System Preferences.  Meanwhile, the countdown timer is running.

That's why I said it's like a game:   You have to figure out what to click and when so you don't lose anything *and* make the countdown before it begins importing files.  This has to be done on each MC launch until you import a Library Backup.  This is generally at least twice, as MC asks for permissions in batches and MC RESTARTS after you apply some of these permissions.  Each time with the import timer ticking away.

It works fine.  I made it through it.  It would be better without the auto import timer.

Brian.

HaWi

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 03:25:39 pm »

Please avoid the default of auto-import.

Yes, please
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2023, 01:06:19 am »

JimH, will know the true numbers, but I reckon there are probably more existing users who are upgrading from one version of MC to a newer one, and therefore would want to migrate their library, settings, etc. from  the older version to the newer one, than there are New Users installing MC for the 1st Time.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up