INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming files  (Read 2127 times)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
Renaming files
« on: June 15, 2023, 06:11:52 pm »

I'm coming from MC28 and I'm having a couple problems relating to renaming files within MC 31 based on their external filenames.  I'm currently using the latest build of MC31, but when I was using MC28 I would rename files all the time after looking up TV/Movie info for them.  F12 was the shortcut I used.  With this new MC31 I can no longer do that; when I try I get errors like the one below.

Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs.

Tagging error: E:\TV\It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia\S16E03 - The Gang Gets Cursed

That's one issue.  The other is that the internal name, the name MC31 uses in its database never does change to reflect the filename.  And that's really all I'm trying to do.  For example, MC31 sees the above filename as The Gang Gets Cursed rather than S16E03 - The Gang Gets Cursed.  Nothing I do, no field I can input can change this. Everything worked fine in MC28, so I'm assuming it's user error.
But it could be a bug.

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Renaming files
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 06:19:07 pm »

Maybe F2?

On the second question, take a look at the Library Tools topic on the wiki.  You can populate a tag from a filename using rules.  And then there is Carnac: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 06:31:08 pm »

Maybe you misunderstand my issue.  Why would something work in MC28 yet not work in MC31?  Using F12, or the rename from filename command, should work.  But it doesn't.  Why?  Also, why the tagging error I mentioned?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 06:32:45 pm »

Could you give us details of exactly what you're doing?

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 06:49:13 pm »

Alright. Never mind.  I solved it.  For some reason in MC28 I used the field [Filename (name)]after pressing F12 to convert, for example, The Gang Gets Cursed to S16E03 - The Gang Gets Cursed.  But in MC31 I just use [Name].  I'm not sure why that is but it works.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 10:51:19 am »

I am also having the same tagging error.  Whenever I try editing a tag of a file that is currently playing, I get the following error (In attached image):

Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 01:08:08 pm »

Renaming a file that is currently playing?  I would expect that to fail, as MC is using the file and has a file lock on it. 

Brian.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 04:09:21 pm »

Not renaming files! Lol! I mean editing a files tag (Name, lyrics etc) while a song is playing - it has never thrown up that error before this version.
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 11:06:11 am »

Ok, my mistake.  That does seem odd.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up