INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Pixilated on Windows 11 when booting from RTC Schedule  (Read 842 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC Pixilated on Windows 11 when booting from RTC Schedule
« on: July 15, 2023, 09:08:38 am »

Hi,

I'm posting this here since I don't think it's an MC specific problem, but something to do with Windows 11.

I recently got a new computer (previously had Windows 10 on Asus PN50) and am running a NUC13 with my own install of Windows 11. The issue I am having is that when I set Task Scheduler to shut down the computer at 2 am in the morning (shutdown /s) and then have it start up via the RTC Schedule in my BIOS at 4:45 am, when I wake up in the morning and turn on the TV, the MC interface is pixilated and appears to be in in the wrong resolution. Please see the attached screenshots.

As soon as I restart MC (and kill the process in Task Manager), MC is displayed in the correct resolution, and everything is good. If I reboot the computer or shut it down manually then press the power button to turn it on, the issues does not exist, MC starts up fine. If I set the Task Scheduler and RTC Scheduler to a later time in the day, in an attempt to replicate and troubleshoot the problem, the issues does not occur. The only time it happens is in the morning.

I have attempted all the usual fixes found on Google such as running MC in Compatibility mode, and nothing works. I've tried having MC start in both standard view and Theater View. I've ensure that nothing else is running at startup. There's only a couple of other things I can think of. Either, something is messed up with the install of Windows 11, or something to do with my TV.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Pixilated on Windows 11 when booting from RTC Schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 10:22:25 am »

HDMI?

Win 11 has a setting under Display Options.  Something about searching  ...

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 08:36:12 am »

Swapped out my NUC HDMI cable with the one for my 4k Apple TV and made no difference this morning.

I think you are referring to the 'fix scaling for apps' feature in windows 10. That feature no longer exists in Windows 11, apparently.

The only thing that works for me is to map a command on my remote that restarts MC, so that when I turn on my TV, the first time I do it during the day, I can hit t hat button to fix the issue. Annoying, but not a huge deal.

eve

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 05:17:56 am »

It's a problem w/ the lack of a display as MC is coming up most likely.
Essentially without a monitor connected, your computer's 'desktop' is at a default resolution which is lower, when MC spawns, it's spawning on a desktop with this lower resolution.

On Windows, with software only, I'm not sure of a way to easily enforce a specific resolution regardless of physical hardware connected (there probably is but YMMV). An HDMI dummy plug is essentially half of what you want (and frankly indispensable regardless).
There are devices that can sit between your PC and display devices, which emulate the EDID making the computer always think the target is there (and the other way around too). HD Fury makes super well known ones but I'd be surprised if there weren't perfectly fine cheap alternatives, especially if you don't have niche requirements like HDMI 2.1 VRR

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 03:37:48 pm »

Interesting. Good to know! I'll give that a shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up