INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Movie Featurettes be nestled with its parent movie?  (Read 341 times)

Archetype

• Recent member
Can Movie Featurettes be nestled with its parent movie?
« on: July 18, 2023, 11:52:37 pm »

Hi JRiver forum.

I'm new to to JRiver but am getting around it fairly easily. I do have a question about movies with featurettes.
I'd like to nestle the featurettes with the main movie, sort of like the way music albums from the same artist group together under "Artist".
So, for example, "Fantastic Mr. Fox" has one featurette. I have both files in the same folder. I dragged the folder into JRiver but only the main movie appears. I expected to see two movie posters of Mr. Fox but with different Titles but I don't the Featurette.
Even when I drag the featurette again in to MC31, it doesn't appear.
How can I do this?
Thanks members

Archetype

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can Movie Featurettes be nestled with its parent movie?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 08:13:41 am »

Dragging into a folder might not import it.  Please read about Import on the wiki.  You can set up auto-import.

Other possibilities are on the wiki.

Linked files.  You can set two files to be linked together and always played together.  Usually used for audio, but may work with video. 

Playlists.

View Extras.  Files that are related to the main file.  Select, then Right click and choose View Extras.

Naming may matter.  There are some special names, like folder.jpg.

Trailers.

Use a Google search, adding JRiver, if you can't find any of the above.

We're open to minor changes to accommodate.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 12:38:30 pm »

This can be done, but it requires a lot of customization of your views and specific tagging of your files to group them together in some way.  I never spent enough time working with it to get a satisfactory solution for me.  So I stopped ripping DVD and BD "extras" and just concern myself with the main movie.  It's kinda too bad, as those are a neat thing to have.  But I'm ok without them for the sake of simplicity.

You probably are not "seeing" those files because they are short enough that MC does not think they are Movie files.  The [Media Subtype] field controls which views show which kinds of files.  Your shorter "featurettes" are almost certainly being marked as Home Video or TV show or something similar.  I would looking your Video > Files view and find those files.  Then open the Tagging Window and examine the [Media Subtype].

In some unusual cases files will be imported and marked with the wrong [Media Type], so they won't show under Video at all.  Those normally get marked as the type "Data".  Simply changing the [Media Type] to Video will make those appear in the Video views. Then set the appropriate [Media Subtype] so they show in the view you want (like Movies for example).

All of this assumes that you have set up something in your views so you can find and categorize your Extras.  By default, MC won't know which movies "own" which Extras. 

Best of luck.
Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 12:43:53 pm »

Brian, are you ripping with MakeMKV?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 01:01:16 pm »

Brian, are you ripping with MakeMKV?

Yes.  I've been using it for quite some time.  I have it produce an MKV file of the main title that is unencrypted.  For the handful of extras I have, it's the same thing:  Shorter mkv files that are unencrypted.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up