INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV slow motion  (Read 744 times)

john greenwood

• World Citizen
TV slow motion
« on: July 29, 2023, 05:08:43 pm »

This is a newbie question from someone who's been using JRiver for close to 15 years - but never for video.

I am teaching myself French, and I would like to watch some French movies - more fun than grammar flashcards. At this point, I am unable to keep up with the dialog at regular speed, so I would like to slow things downs, but maintain the pitch for the voices. Is this possible? With DVDs? downloads? streaming films? Sorry, I don't have a Blu-Ray drive for my computer.

I looked in the Wiki, but I was unable to find anything.  If it is there, please point me to it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV slow motion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 06:21:07 pm »

I don't think that's possible, but it's a good idea.  There are some tempo controls, but I think they're only for audio.

For the same reason, I often watch a movie several times.

Subtitles would help, but then you lose focus on the sound.

What movies are you watching?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 02:10:13 am »

For video files this is actually possible. In DSP Studio, check Tempo & Pitch, setting Tempo to something like -0.25x would make it 25% slower without majorly affecting pitch.
With music it can start to sound a bit weird at higher levels of slowdown, but voice sounds quite reasonable.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 09:04:30 am »

Thanks! Presumably, the image would slow down as well.

It turns out that Netflix has a setting for this when you watch on a computer.  But the selection of French films doesn't excite me overall. Almost all crime films.  And after a two year binge during the pandemic, they're all beginning to seem the same.

I don't collect films as files, so I'll go pick one from Amazon to try it out.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 09:51:03 am »

As Hendrik mentioned, you can do it with video files.  You can trigger it by right-clicking the video screen, and choose one of the "Slow Motion Playback" options.  That said, I find a small "bug" there.  When you choose "Half Speed Playback", or another one, the DSP Studio pops up, with Tempo & Pitch setting suggested for you, but you need to make sure "Tempo & Pitch" checkbox is actually checked on the left side of the DSP Studio.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 03:54:13 pm »

1. Can we PLEASE make that DSP pop up box OPTIONAL? And bitstreaming does not use DSP, so the DSP pop up should never happen when bitstreaming!

2. Can we PLEASE add slow motion somewhere into the bottom playback OSD, similar to where "aspect" or "zoom" or "subtitles" are?

These would allow easy access to slow motion just using MCE IR remote controls  ;)
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]
Pages: [1]   Go Up