INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older recent versions...  (Read 1436 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Older recent versions...
« on: August 19, 2023, 07:12:54 pm »

I'm having an issue with watching a few of my videos in 31.43.  I had not had the issue in earlier versions.

So, I wanted to download and regress to an earlier version to help provide more information when I report the issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a place from which i can download earlier 31.nn versions.

When I go to the Wiki entry for old versions, all I see are the 30.nn versions ( https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Old_Versions ).

Is there a place i can find the 31.nn Windows 64-bit versions so I can help by narrowing down the problem I am seeing before I report it?

thx.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Older recent versions...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 12:08:24 am »

The changelog includes links to the build threads of all publicly released ".nn" versions...
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes_MC31

Start with build .46 though, https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136811.0.html
and if the issue still persists, work back from there.

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 12:33:05 am »

Also take a look at the weird problems thread (link in my signature) for ideas.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 01:04:33 am »

Wow.

Many thanks for the replies.  Support here is great.

Due to my schedule, it may be a day or two or three before I can get back to this in earnest.

thx, though.

I'll be back...
=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 12:38:49 pm »

OK, here's what i did...

I loaded build 31.0.46 on both the MC Server platform (my desktop PC, Win10, 64-bit, up-to-date) and the MC Client platform (entertainment center, Win10, 64-bit, up-to-date).

I tried playing the video in question in Theater view, and I still saw the issue.  The video does not start playing.  Instead I see a pop-up error message (image attached).  Note that in that pop-up, I can only select "OK".   I cannot go up to the "Details:..." selection, i.e., the cursor is stick on OK.

Note that this same video plays without a problem in Media Center on the desktop PC that has MC Server running, in both Standard and Theater views.

Another symptom... on some other videos, the video plays without a problem.  But when the video ends, I see a similar pop-up error message, but without the "Details:" option, just the OK option.  If I replay the video, it ends with no pop-error message.

I also went back to version 31.0.21 on the server and client, and I see the same symptoms.

I just tried playing the video in Standard view on the MC Client.  I got a more meaningful error message (see attached).

Note that this same video plays without a problem in Media Center on the desktop PC that has MC Server running, in both Standard and Theater views.

I did not see anything like this in the Weird Problems thread.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 12:44:14 pm »

Another point...

I just tried turning off the Anti-Virus on the MC Client, and there was no difference in the behavior with the a/v disabled.

=========

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 01:21:53 pm »

I recall there being some kind of behavior with MC clients and servers where the files are located on network storage.  I think in those cases, you must map the same network drive on the client as is mapped on the server.

I mention this because the error message says "failed to find or open file". 

What is the path to that file?  Is it different in some obvious way compared to other files that play without errors?

Brian

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 01:31:56 pm »

What is the path to that file?  Is it different in some obvious way compared to other files that play without errors?

All the MC files are located in a /media/jr/audio or /media/jr/video  directory tree on a data server that MC Server has access to.

In this case, the path to the file is...

/media/jr/video/music videos/...

Other music videos in that directory play without issue, and have done so for years.

That's why I'm scratching my head over this one file...

thx for the reply.

=========

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 02:24:46 pm »

I did a search and found a thread I started several years ago.  In that thread Hendrick said that drive mapping is only required for BD folder structures.  The wiki has since been changed and there's no mention of drive mapping.  This might be irrelevant now.

Is your "bad" file named in a funny way?  Special characters, etc?  Is the format different than your others?  Is it a BD file like BDMV or MT2S?  Is the CODEC something unusual on the video or audio side?  Does it use object based audio? (ATMOS or DTS-X)

I'm totally guessing at things that might make this one file different.

Brian.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 10:10:57 am »

btw, I had wanted to note in my earlier reply that the drive is mapped r/w.   

The file name is pretty sane.  No special characters. It loads and plays fine in Media Center running on the same PC as Media Server.  It is just the Media Center client running in the entertainment center that has issues (fwiw, the network connections involved here are solid hardwired 1Gb/s Ethernet).

Attached is the codec report from VLC for the file...

I'm going to try a couple more things today.  I'll report back my results...

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 10:41:24 am »

OK, it is working now.

Here is what I did.

I copied the video file out of the video directory tree and put in the temp area I use for staging for Media Center loads.

Then I...

- Imported the file into the library, and filled out all the tags.  Note at this point I have two copies of the video in the library.

- Rename, Move & Copy the newly loaded file (I use "Move" in the preset) to the video directory tree.  Since there already was a file there with the same name, a (1) was appended to the new file's name.

- Deleted the old copy via the the delete key in Standard view, selected the option to remove the file permanently from the disk.

- Went back to Rename, Move & Copy, using the same preset, to remove the (1) from the filename now that there is no longer a duplicate.

- An error message pops up saying there's already a file with the same name.

- Go to the directory tree and look at the directory for this video.  The old copy is still there, it was not deleted, even though I picked the option to permanently delete the file.

- Delete the file and the sidecar manually, and try Rename, Move & Copy again.  It works this time.  The filename no longer has the (1) appended.

- Try playing the video in Media Center on the desktop that runs the Media Server.  It plays fine.  So far so good.

- Boot up the the Media Center client in the entertainment center and try playing the video.  It works!   :) :) :) :)

So, it seems that even the MC running on the same desktop PC as the server did have some manner of an issue with the file (i.e., it could not delete it).   I don't know just what that issue was, and I guess now I'll be difficult to know because the evidence, the old file and MC library backup, exist only in my data server backups.   

Hopefully the issue was a one-time only type of thing.

In any case, this problem looks resolved from my current point of view.

thx to blgentry for giving me some ideas to check.

=========

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 10:42:15 am »

Can you play a similar video file if it's located on the client?

MC needs to download some extra packages when you first play a video file, so a firewall blocking or no Internet access would cause a problem.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 10:55:07 am »

MC needs to download some extra packages when you first play a video file, so a firewall blocking or no Internet access would cause a problem.

I have never had an issue playing any video file on the client. Actually, I did have an a/v sync issue with one file once, but that went away with the new video renderer.  OK, other than that, I have never had an issue playing any video file on the client.

Also, when I first played the newly loaded video a few minutes ago, I did see the message at the bottom of the screen that some extra stuff was being loaded.  So that process works here, no firewall issues. 

thx
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2023, 10:57:31 am »

Oops, I misread your comment.

The only videos I watch on the entertainment center PC are the ones from MC server via the MC client, and some ISO files via VLC.

I've not tried to watch a video loaded locally onto the MC client.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2023, 03:51:22 pm »

OK, I pulled the original version of the file (the one that I had trouble playing in client/server mode) off the backup system and copied it over to the PC being used as the MC client.

I then switched the MC library on that PC to ~local~  and loaded the media file.  It was the only media file in that library.

It played without a problem.

I then put the MC back into "client" mode.

Hope this helps.

=========

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2023, 07:42:37 am »

I'm happy you solved your issue!

I suspect, based on your comment, that one or more characters in the file name are unusual.  Maybe a character that appears like a normal ASCII character, but is actually unicode.  For example a "no break space mark", which looks like a space character, but is not.

In any case, again I'm very happy your problem is solved.

Brian.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2023, 10:51:47 am »

I had copied the filename and file extension into my editor, and looked at it in hex.

It all was normal ASCII.  (yes, the editor does handle unicode).

It was an odd issue, but I also am happy it is in the rear view mirror.  :)
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 11:13:50 am »

Unfortunately, I have to re-open this issue report.

It has occurred again, this time on a different video file.  Same scenario, i.e., trying to watch a video on the MC client in the entertainment center.

I saw the same error message in Theater view as I noted above.

I took a different approach to resolve it this time, and I see a different set of symptoms.

Here's what I did

- tried to play the video in Media Center running on the MC server.  That played fine.

- highlighted the video in Standard view (in MC running on the MC server), and pressed F6 to rename/move it to a different directory.

- the rename/move failed, with a ~cannot find the file~ error message (I did not get the exact wording, sorry.)

- when I check the destination directory, I see the video file in question.

- when I check the source directory (i.e., where the video had resided), the XML sidecar file is there, it was not renamed/moved. (could the problem be with sidecar file handling and not the actual video file handling?)

That is where I left things.

I also should add, I imported this video file in June 2023, and I have played it many times on the MC client since then without issues.  So this issue is something that has just appeared.

If there is any other info y'all need, just ask...

thx.
=========

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2023, 02:28:42 pm »

- highlighted the video in Standard view (in MC running on the MC server), and pressed F6 to rename/move it to a different directory.

- the rename/move failed, with a ~cannot find the file~ error message (I did not get the exact wording, sorry.)

- when I check the destination directory, I see the video file in question.

This seems to indicate that the file name, or directory name, is wonky.  Presumably these were not named by you.

What is different about these files than the others?  A particular place they were sourced from?  A particular subdirectory they are in? 

You might start over by removing the file from MC, then manually renaming the file to something very simple.  If this file is in its own directory, name that directory (manually) something very simple also.

It's also possible there's some odd interaction of the naming and your file server.  I think you said these files are on a NAS.

Best of luck.

Brian.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 12:04:51 pm »

Apologies for the delay in responding.  I found out some new information yesterday, and I wanted to retrieve the June backup disks before replying...

> What is different about these files than the others?

One thing I found out was that every video file I imported between June 9, 2023 and August 15, 2023 had an issue.  it would play OK on the Media Center on the Media Center server PC, but would show that error message when I tried to play it on the MC client on the PC in the entertainment center.

Videos imported June 9 and earlier had no problems.  Videos imported after August 15 had no problems.

Another thing I found out... a couple of the videos had an incorrect datum in the XML file.

<Field Name="Filename">T:\temp\sound forge\import\[redacted video filename]</Field>

should have been

<Field Name="Filename">Q:\media\jr\video\[redacted video filename]</Field>

Taking a step back...

When I import a file (video or audio) I...

- place the file in the T:\temp\sound forge\import\ directory

- enter MC, select Library>Import

- highlight the newly imported file in the library and open the Tag window.

- adjust the values of the tags to my convention

- add cover art for audio files

- run Audio Analyze

- press F6 and Rename/Move the file according to the, in this case, video preset, which puts the file and the sidecar in the Q:\media\jr\video\ directory tree.

Apparently, somewhere during that F6 process, the sidecar XML was not updated with the new filename for a couple files.  That was one issue that caught my attention.

While trying to track that down, I ran into the ~all videos between after June 9 and before August 15 issue.~

Another thing I noticed is that all of a sudden, videos (in that June 9 to August 15 bunch) had problems (including the one with the wrong filename in the sidecar XML file).  Videos that had played (some, a dozen times or so) without any problems on MC client suddenly were throwing up the error message when I tried to play them on the MC client, but played fine on MC running on the MC server PC.   This one is a poser for me.

In any case, by reloading the dozen or so videos in question, everything seems to be back to the usual MC wonderfulness.  :)
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2023, 05:46:01 pm »

It's also possible there's some odd interaction of the naming and your file server.  I think you said these files are on a NAS.

I forgot to add two things....

1) The naming was ASCII characters, typed by me into MC when I did the tagging.  So, nothing odd there that I can see.

2) The NAS is a data server that runs FreeBSD and ZFS.  I don't use a "canned" NAS, I install FreeBSD on the server and configure it. The data server has been rock solid for about 10 years  I've never had an issue with it.  None.   It started out as a 500MB data server, and now is up to 18TB.  I am very comfortable with FreeBSD, having run it on my servers since the late 1990's.  Before I switched to FreeBSD, I had used Linux for my data server.  That, I will add, did not go well, and was the reason I switched to FreeBSD.  A FreeBSD and ZFS excellent document is here... https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/zfs/

3) I also forgot to add, many thanks for your discussion here.  While I still have some unanswered questions, your comments on this thread have gotten me going again in the thing I like a lot... listening to and watching the media presented to me by MC.  Thank-you.

(OK, that's 3 things, not 2, but, that third one was important. :) )

=========

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2023, 07:18:52 am »

My statement about your NAS was related to how NAS handles file naming and character sets.  Occasionally I run into issues where the NAS has one set of acceptable characters (for file names) and a local file system has a different set.  So a name that works in one place won't work in the other.  There is often a weird remapping that happens when you copy a file from a local file system to a NAS, if that NAS has a different set of acceptable characters.

I'm somewhat familiar with FreeBSD and have spent quite some time with ZFS.  Presumably you are using Samba for file sharing.  All should be quite stable.  A really hardcore Unix guy I know refuses to use anything other than FreeBSD.  I understand that it is extremely stable and changes move very slowly.

Far more importantly:  I'm happy you fixed your issue.  Even more happy that you are enjoying your collection!  After all that's what this is all supposed to be about.

Take care,
Brian.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2023, 11:53:19 am »

My statement about your NAS was related to how NAS handles file naming and character sets.  Occasionally I run into issues where the NAS has one set of acceptable characters (for file names) and a local file system has a different set.  So a name that works in one place won't work in the other.  There is often a weird remapping that happens when you copy a file from a local file system to a NAS, if that NAS has a different set of acceptable characters. ...

I have seen that from time to time in the more distant past.  Indeed, it is why I now type the values into the Tag window.  So, everything is plain ole ASCII. 

I'm somewhat familiar with FreeBSD and have spent quite some time with ZFS.  Presumably you are using Samba for file sharing.  All should be quite stable.  A really hardcore Unix guy I know refuses to use anything other than FreeBSD.  I understand that it is extremely stable and changes move very slowly.

My experience as well.  And, yes on Samba.  (I also use OpenBSD for the main firewall here...)

I do have a question, though, about a MC client... [the question is an open one, not directed to you...]

When I run MC client on a PC in the entertainment center, I point the library on the client to the MC server running on the desktop PC.  I had thought that the MC client then gets all the media files and info it needs from the MC server, and not directly from the NAS.  Is that correct?

If that is correct, then why did MC running on the MC server PC play the videos without a problem, but the MC client  showed a ~file not found~ error message?  What is different between the way the MC client accesses the video file and its metadata compared to MC running on the same PC as the Media Center server?  I don't think it is a character set problem because (1) I use ASCII characters, and (2) MC on the server plays the file just fine.

thx
=========

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 12:04:11 pm »

When I run MC client on a PC in the entertainment center, I point the library on the client to the MC server running on the desktop PC.  I had thought that the MC client then gets all the media files and info it needs from the MC server, and not directly from the NAS.  Is that correct?
It is correct, yes.
If that is correct, then why did MC running on the MC server PC play the videos without a problem, but the MC client  showed a ~file not found~ error message?  What is different between the way the MC client accesses the video file and its metadata compared to MC running on the same PC as the Media Center server?  I don't think it is a character set problem because (1) I use ASCII characters, and (2) MC on the server plays the file just fine.

thx
I don't know. A couple of things you could play with though...
  • On the client MC, go to "Options > Media Network > Client options" and tick "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found"
  • On the client operating system, ensure that it has access to the same files that the server does, in such a way that the filename path to each file is exactly the same on both machines. Try some playback...

With the above two points set, the 'client' MC will access the file directly rather than request it from the server. This works very well indeed.

Also...
    On the server MC, in the tree, click on "Services and Plugins > Media Server"
    Maybe, when you're getting errors on the client, there will be a clue in the server log shown there?

Good luck.
    -marko

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2023, 11:03:07 am »

It is correct, yes.I don't know. A couple of things you could play with though...
  • On the client MC, go to "Options > Media Network > Client options" and tick "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found"
  • On the client operating system, ensure that it has access to the same files that the server does, in such a way that the filename path to each file is exactly the same on both machines. Try some playback...

With the above two points set, the 'client' MC will access the file directly rather than request it from the server. This works very well indeed.
While the client does have access to the NAS files, with the exact same path as the MC server (all the clients on my network have the exact same access path to the NAS, as a matter of course), I do not have the "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" option checked.  That is what I want, I want everything to go through the MC server.

Also...
On the server MC, in the tree, click on "Services and Plugins > Media Server"
Maybe, when you're getting errors on the client, there will be a clue in the server log shown there?

Wow, I had not known about that log.   The problems I had were too long ago to be seen on the log, but now that I know it is there, it will be helpful should I have issues in the future.

Thanks for the info!

=========

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2023, 12:24:56 pm »

That is what I want, I want everything to go through the MC server.
Your mileage may vary, but I find things a lot smoother with 'play local file' enabled. Just to clarify, the client gets the file info from the server, retrieves the actual file for itself, but feed all statistics (Last played, number plays, etc. etc.) back to the server. Without it, the server needs to retrieve the file and serve it to the client... The setting just removes a link from the chain.

Wow, I had not known about that log.   The problems I had were too long ago to be seen on the log, but now that I know it is there, it will be helpful should I have issues in the future.

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. Hope it helps.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2023, 12:53:25 pm »

Your mileage may vary, but I find things a lot smoother with 'play local file' enabled. Just to clarify, the client gets the file info from the server, retrieves the actual file for itself, but feed all statistics (Last played, number plays, etc. etc.) back to the server. ...

I'll try that for a while and see how it goes.  :)

thx.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2023, 11:50:39 pm »

I'll try that for a while and see how it goes.  :)

thx.

I've changed that setting on both the MC server and MC client here.

From what I've seen of the network activity lights on the switches, so far, all is going well.  :)

One question I have though...

> Your mileage may vary, but I find things a lot smoother with 'play local file' enabled.

Yeah.

My question is: do I enable that option on the MC server, or the MC client.

That leads to a larger question of mine...

Is there anywhere I can look to see what option settings I set on the PC that acts as my MC server are carried over to the MC client in my entertainment center?  I've noticd that the screen presentation is carried over.  What else?

For example, in this instance, should I change the 'play local file' on just the MC server that runs on my desktop PC, or do I need to change it on the MC client in the entertainment center?  (note: the latter change alone did not seem to work).  And where do I look to determine that?

So, I guess my question distills down to...

Is there anyplace that details which options are carried over when I share a library from a server, and which options are exclusively set on the client, regardless of the server's options?

thx.

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up