INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm Clock  (Read 3213 times)

nila

Alarm Clock
« on: February 16, 2003, 04:09:57 pm »

Hiya

Just installed 'Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition'
and am giving it a try.

Gotta say, WMP9 has some nice features that I like so I do keep it installed even though I just use it for video playback.

The above software adds some nice features though.

One being it's : Alarm Clock.

There's already a sleep timer, an alarm clock with a nice little GUI would really add hugely to MJ's features.
It'd just round it off nicely. We could fall asleep to music from it and then get woken up by it.

I currectly ONLY use my old stereo for waking me up in the mornings, the cd player on it doesn't work. I just use it to get the radio to wake me up.

I'd LOVE a alarm clock for MJ. And I mean one that's simple and easy to just quickly add alarms to with tracks selected, and the volume to play them at etc.

Media scheduler currectly lacks these features and isn't exactly directly linked into MJ which I'd really like. :)

Any comments? thoughts? telling me to get losts? :)

patdevlin

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Alarm Clock
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 06:04:35 pm »

I think that this is a good Idea.  I would love to be able to display the Time when you are in full screen Mode.  In Full screen Mode you lose the clock in the tray.  if you could display it in Full mode I would not need to get a Clock.

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 12:21:11 am »

I totally agree! Currently I use a smartlist for putting me to sleep (with the parameter ~t=70) but a nice lil' alarm clock to get me to wake up would be super!

/Martin

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 09:23:20 am »

I agree.

The current Timer plugin is nice but somewhat limited.  It can turn Windows off but can't put it into Standby mode.  If it could go into Standby mode then Windows would then reload when a wake up time comes & MC would continue playing where it left off.

I think this would be most helpful & add the other half of the features that are currently missing from the Timer plugin.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

nila

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 03:49:21 pm »

And I really think it should be slightly more 'integrated' in terms of ability to select the songs to play, or playlists etc for both sleep and alarm clock functions.

Ability to set different alarm clocks would be amazing :)

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 11:24:00 pm »

It would be supercool if you had like a "miniprogram" that sits quietly in the tray for this...like MS Moneys money express or Quickens alike. Just click on the icon and choose time and play-/smartlist...or something :)

musikmstr

• Recent member
  • I'll try anything once......more if I like it!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 03:14:16 am »

If you really want a good alarm clock try this one. I use it on my desktop and it really works well and you can set it to play anything you have on your drive. It's a frebbie from Elprime.      http://www.elprime.com/
Just download the clock!
Mark

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 03:27:27 am »

Gotta say, WMP9 has some nice features that I like so I do keep it installed even though I just use it for video playback.

The above software adds some nice features though.

One being it's : Alarm Clock.

Matt...

I'll do this one as a plug-in. I want it, too. Hate to see you spend JR time on this one when there are so many other cool things only u can do.

May I have permission to clone SleepTimer and incorporate both functions into one plug-in? Seems silly to re-invent that wheel. I'll probably use the StaticTimer field a few times - once as a digital clock, another as the SleepTimer, etc.

Hey, wow, this is cool... I could hook up the alarm to a playlist. I should make 2+ alarms with independent times... and a NOISE maker for when I sleep in too long. :)

Randy

nila

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 04:01:08 am »

Cool,
nice one Randy.

Can you make it so we can choose the songs or playlists to play as well as setting the times etc :)

I'm planning to teach myself Visual C++ soon so I can make some plug in's too but right now all my time has to be spent on trying to find a job.

As soon as I get settled into a job though I'm gonna learn C++ and make some plug-in's :)

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 12:58:43 pm »

This is sounding better all the time.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 02:30:13 pm »

Can you make it so we can choose the songs or playlists to play as well as setting the times

Yes... I'm thinking it will have as many wake-up times ("Alarms") as you want, each with its own set of parameters and Playlists - and potentially, individually selected songs.

I am writing anyother plug-in where I only select Playlists (or Smartlists, of course). If AlarmClock is to let you select individual songs, we have to presume it could be a few hundred or thousand. That much information has to be written to a file instead of the Registry, probably storing the whole path and file name. If you have a couple thousand songs it will take a few seconds to read in the song list when you select an Alarm. Since I have the Playlist-based code working and debugged, let's start with Playlists only and see how it feels.

One thing I know *I* want: the Alarms and Sleep Timer need to keep track of what song is playing in each playlist. I like to have LOTS of random tracks that I hear over time. When a Playlist is queued up into Playing Now, it's going to be queued starting where it left off.

Since you'll be able to select more than one Playlist per Alarm (and for the Sleep Timer), when anything starts it should see what the most recently playing Playlist was. If it's one that is in the collection for the new Alarm, it will start within it at the correct position. If the most recent Alarm and the new one don't have a Playlist in common, the new Alarm will use its own most recent Playlist and position.

Hmmm... I thought that "Playing Now" should be included as a selectable Playlist at some point, but that has dangers. If you have Images in Playing Now, you won't hear anything and will oversleep. I shouldn't let that happen - an unreliable alarm is useless.   ....  Oops, a Smartlist could end up empty without the user knowing it. AlarmClock had better make sure that SOMETHING is playing when it comes on, even if it has to just start at the beginning of the Music Library.

I guess that it would be nice to be able to select the Television, as well. There's currently no provision for it in the API and putting it in is really a project - not a quickie. AlarmClock will be music-only for now.

It would be nice to have an Alarm have an Image List also, and cycle through them Slideshow-style during the alarm. Future feature.

This is the Playlist Selection tree:

As I think about the design, it might be cool if each Alarm optionally made its own list with all the songs in each Playlist "interweaved" in some way, rather than moving from one list to another. It would save this Alarm Playlist and only change its order when you tell it to, and keep track of its position. Something to talk/think about. Re-inventing the wheel, perhaps? You could actually accomplish the same thing using a single Playlist or Smartlist designed for the purpose.

Well, please post your thoughts. This is a starting point.

Randy

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 02:47:09 pm »

I have an alarm clock

I paid $9.95 for it

It has big Red Numbers so I can see them at night.

It beeps when the alarm goes off.

I hit the snooze button put my feet on the floor and then turn it off.

Sometimes I just turn it off without hitting the snooze button.

I'm Versatile I guess.

Some people may think I sleep with my computer but this is not true. There is no room in the bed, and Sue would not allow it (It would be like another woman).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 02:50:38 pm »

Please ask Sue to get help for this problem.   :o

Do it before its too late.

nila

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 03:18:19 pm »

A couple of features for the alarm clock plugin
  • Ability to set the volume level for the wake up call (has to make sure the volume is on even if you mute your computer before you go to bed)
  • Ability to select either to play all the files in order or to play them randomly.

Good luck with it :)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 04:17:49 pm »

A couple of features for the alarm clock plugin
  • Ability to set the volume level for the wake up call (has to make sure the volume is on even if you mute your computer before you go to bed)
  • Ability to select either to play all the files in order or to play them randomly.

Will do.

London? It's 2am...   (but then, who am I to talk?)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2003, 04:25:53 pm »

It has big Red Numbers so I can see them at night.

OK... I'll make sure the color of the numbers is selectable!   8)

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 09:41:33 am »

I couldnt use this at the moment anyway, because my PC is nowhere near my bedroom, but Im well used to being rudely awakened by my alarm clock, so what the hell, heres some thoughts:

1. An 'insistent' alarm - instead of waking you with a start it begins quietly and slowly increases the volume (to a sensible uppper limit), or perhaps the delay between multiple 'snoozes' gets shorter each time.

2. A 'persistent' alarm - for those who never turn their PCs off - it goes off Mon-Fri but doesnt at the weekend (or other combination for those who dont work 9-5 weekdays).
Pages: [1]   Go Up