INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does lipsync work on Linux?  (Read 745 times)

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
Does lipsync work on Linux?
« on: September 13, 2023, 10:56:52 am »

Is there any way to adjust lipsync on Linux?

I've just watched a TV recorded film where the lipsync was several 100s of ms out. This is on my main domestic entertainment machine that I just moved from Windows to Linux.

When I then watched the same film on my Windows development machine, I could tweak the lipsync adjustment. On Linux, those controls had no effect.

Any ideas?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Does lipsync work on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 11:31:07 am »

Is there any way to adjust lipsync on Linux?

I've just watched a TV recorded film where the lipsync was several 100s of ms out. This is on my main domestic entertainment machine that I just moved from Windows to Linux.

When I then watched the same film on my Windows development machine, I could tweak the lipsync adjustment. On Linux, those controls had no effect.

Any ideas?

I can confirm that the keyboard adjustment controls don't seem to work, but if I manually change the a/v synchronization settings in Options-->Video-->Advanced they do seem to work.  So it looks like lipsync adjustment is supported by the playback engine, but maybe the keyboard controls aren't wired up?

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 01:27:56 pm »

Thanks for this.

I would not want to use the keyboard commands anyway, if I could avoid them, as my system is designed around a 10-foot view. But it is really good to know that the underlying mechanism still works on Linux. I shall now experiment with MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC and MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC_ZONE which I can use from my remote control.

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 04:03:59 am »

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC_ZONE does nothing on Linux.

I wired up some Audio Sync buttons to my UI, which send Control/MCC?Command=28044&Parameter=NNN.

(((Forum note: If the image embedding above doesn't work, look at http://www.brianavid.co.uk/ScreenShots/AudioSync.jpg)))

This adjustment appears to work in Windows, in that I can tweak the sync live as I am watching a video. But the buttons do nothing on Linux. Maybe this is related to the non-working keyboard commands.

And as a related question: is there any way to obtain through MCWS the current audio sync value? There is nothing obvious listed in MCWS/v1/Library/Fields. It would be really good to give immediate feedback to an adjustment on the remote UI.

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 04:47:05 am »

Apologies if this is coming over as impatient, but I am bumping the topic to stop it dropping out of sight.

I suppose the important question is whether there is something inherently in the Linux render path that prevents lipsync adjustment from ever working? Or is just an oversight that means that there is currently no UI or API way to control an existing (and working) back-end capability.

If it is the latter, and it can be made to work, then I can just wait for it in an update. And I will keep apologising to my wife for the sync issues, saying that it WILL be addressed.

But if there is an underlying problem on Linux, it would be useful to know that, as I may need to return to Windows (which I know works fine).

And also, it would be really good to be able to access the current sync offset - for display on the remote control as I adjust it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 01:41:53 am »

There is no fundamental reason these cannot work, probably just not hooked up. We essentially have two video players, the DirectShow based one that has existed for ages, and the new cross-platform one. Unfortunately, not all features were added to both equally.

I'll check when I'm in front of it and hook it up.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 07:06:17 am »

The commands as well as the OSD option should be available in the next Linux and Mac builds.

One thing to note, MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC_ZONE actually changes the global setting for the entire zone, while MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC does it per-file. Unless you are tuning the entire system for eg. HDMI latency, you likely want per-file tuning to be exposed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 08:02:26 am »

The commands as well as the OSD option should be available in the next Linux and Mac builds.

One thing to note, MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC_ZONE actually changes the global setting for the entire zone, while MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_VIDEO_LIPSYNC does it per-file. Unless you are tuning the entire system for eg. HDMI latency, you likely want per-file tuning to be exposed.

Thank you - and also thanks for the explanation of the different MCC commands. I guess it is  the per-file one I want. My AVR handles HDMI latency.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 08:19:13 am »

Thanks so much Hendrik, that's great news!

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 01:52:12 am »

Just tried the new build. The lipsync adjustments work brilliantly. Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up