INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iOS 17 and JRemote Audio Streaming Error  (Read 1347 times)

vbphil

• World Citizen
iOS 17 and JRemote Audio Streaming Error
« on: October 12, 2023, 09:28:47 am »

I have iOS 17.0.3 on my iPhone 14 Pro. I hadn't used JRemote in awhile so I'm not sure when this started but when trying to play music from the MC Server on the iPhone I'm getting the Audio Streaming Error message.

I checked this with my older iPhone 7, which is on iOS 15.7.9, and it plays perfectly fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: iOS 17 and JRemote Audio Streaming Error
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 12:17:22 pm »

I'm on iOS 17.0.3 too, on an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and am not experiencing any issues at all.

This would suggest that it's not an iOS 17 issue.

Did you closely inspect all of the settings in JRemote on the old phone that works with those on the 14 Pro to make certain they're identical?

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 01:34:08 pm »

I'm on iOS 17.0.3 too, on an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and am not experiencing any issues at all.

This would suggest that it's not an iOS 17 issue.

Did you closely inspect all of the settings in JRemote on the old phone that works with those on the 14 Pro to make certain they're identical?

I just compared the JRemote settings and they are the same. I've tried deletingnd reinstalling JRemote but that did nothing. It's strange because the phone is connecting to the MC server and showing songs, playlists and whatever. It's just when trying to play a song that the error pops up.

If it's not iOS then perhaps a phone setting somewhere. Any ideas on what services are involved to stream a song with JRemote?

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 03:12:32 pm »

I have iOS 17.0.3 on my iPhone 14 Pro. I hadn't used JRemote in awhile so I'm not sure when this started but when trying to play music from the MC Server on the iPhone I'm getting the Audio Streaming Error message.

I checked this with my older iPhone 7, which is on iOS 15.7.9, and it plays perfectly fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I asked the moderator to delete this topic. The problem is not with JRemote but with my song files. They were just volume leveled with a product called Platinum Notes 10 and for some reason Apple does not like it. The songs play everywhere else on different players just not Apple. I'm continuing to investigate.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 03:41:31 pm »

I think we'll keep the topic.  It might be useful to someone else.  Thanks for reporting what you found.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 04:57:11 pm »

I just compared the JRemote settings and they are the same. I've tried deletingnd reinstalling JRemote but that did nothing. It's strange because the phone is connecting to the MC server and showing songs, playlists and whatever. It's just when trying to play a song that the error pops up.

If it's not iOS then perhaps a phone setting somewhere. Any ideas on what services are involved to stream a song with JRemote?

Some more findings.....

These song files play okay in iTunes on my computer and also with the Apple Music App on my iPhone.

Where they don't play is from JRemote on my iPhone 7 or 14Pro when playing to "this device", in other words on the phone. The files will play when using JRemote but setting the Zone to another player instead of the iPhone device.

I now think the problem is the JRemote player. I assume it has its own player and that's what's used when selecting the Zone as this Device. So, there's something with these AAC files that JRemote does not like. Perhaps I need to submit a help ticket with JRiver. I assume they have something like that.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 09:24:06 am »

Some more findings.....

These song files play okay in iTunes on my computer and also with the Apple Music App on my iPhone.

Where they don't play is from JRemote on my iPhone 7 or 14Pro when playing to "this device", in other words on the phone. The files will play when using JRemote but setting the Zone to another player instead of the iPhone device.

I now think the problem is the JRemote player. I assume it has its own player and that's what's used when selecting the Zone as this Device. So, there's something with these AAC files that JRemote does not like. Perhaps I need to submit a help ticket with JRiver. I assume they have something like that.
Here's some version numbers and other info I've collected including song file specs for my copy of Adele, "Hello"

These song files play fine on all other music players in my possession except for JRemote. If there are facts or specs that I'm missing, please let me know. 99% of the time I don't use JRemote to play songs on my iPhone but rather redirect the stream to another Zone and that works great. So, this issue isn't preventing me from using JRemote.

JRemote, version 3.40
-----
iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17.0.3
iPhone 7, iOS 15.7.9
-----
Platinum Notes 10, version 10.0.345.0
Copyright 2007 - 2023, Mixed In Key LLC.
-----
Media Center, version 31.0.43(64-bit)
-----
Adele, Hello, ripped with Media Center from CD to ALAC
Info from MediaInfo 23.10, Copyright (c) MediaArea.net SARL)

Format                                   : ALAC
Codec ID                                 : alac
Codec ID/Info                            : Apple Lossless Audio Codec
Duration                                 : 4 min 55 s
Duration_LastFrame                       : -50 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 807 kb/s
Nominal bit rate                         : 2 220 Mb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 28.4 MiB (100%)
Encoded date                             : 2015-12-26 22:26:09 UTC
Tagged date                              : 2015-12-26 22:26:09 UTC
-----
AAC converter (qaac64.exe)
-----
Adele "Hello", AAC conversion
Info from MediaInfo 23.10, Copyright (c) MediaArea.net SARL)

Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Duration                                 : 4 min 55 s
Duration_LastFrame                       : -1 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 298 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 320 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 10.5 MiB (99%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 08:57:18 am »

This comes up again and again.
Your files have the MOOV atom at the wrong place for streaming. It's at the end of the track.  It needs to be at the beginning.

You can fix these or perhaps find out how to make you app produce proper files for streaming.
When you play a file like this locally, no problem. When you play it over a network connection that is where the issue is.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135796.msg941148.html#msg941148

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 09:42:25 am »

This comes up again and again.
Your files have the MOOV atom at the wrong place for streaming. It needs to be at the beginning. It's at the end of the track.
You can fix these or perhaps find out how to make you app produce proper files for streaming.
When you play a file like this locally, no problem. When you play it over a network connection that is where the issue is.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135796.msg941148.html#msg941148

Yikes, that's not good. I forwarded this information on to Mixed In Key but I'm not expecting any remedy from them.

Any idea if there's a "fix in place" program that could repair around 3000 files?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 02:51:03 pm »

Yikes, that's not good. I forwarded this information on to Mixed In Key but I'm not expecting any remedy from them.

Any idea if there's a "fix in place" program that could repair around 3000 files?
You could check this message:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135796.msg941178.html#msg941178
Also, I think you should be able to use MC to do this with the file in place.
I would back up all of my files first of course!!
You use library->convert format and convert it back to ALAC replacing the existing file (which is why you should have a backup).
When MC writes a ALAC file it will put the MOOV atom in the correct place.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 03:45:52 pm »

You could check this message:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135796.msg941178.html#msg941178
Also, I think you should be able to use MC to do this with the file in place.
I would back up all of my files first of course!!
You use library->convert format and convert it back to ALAC replacing the existing file (which is why you should have a backup).
When MC writes a ALAC file it will put the MOOV atom in the correct place.

thanks Bob for the help!

I did check out that other topic. I have ffmpeg and could script something that processed the whole folder to another folder. May try that and see how it does. I have all my original ALAC files backed up 7 ways to Sunday so no problem there.

So, another thought is to revisit why I chose to go from ALAC to AAC. Maybe you have some advice on that. I needed smaller files to put on my iPhone and USB thumb drives to use in various places. I chose AAC over MP3 from reading it was smaller files and better quality. If MP3 files don't have this streaming issue with MOOV atom when processed by Platinum Notes and actually sound just as good as AAC I should start over with ALAC to MP3 with MC, then Platinum Notes for the final processing. Turns out I have plenty of room on my iPhone and with the 64GB thumb drives.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 04:09:20 pm »

thanks Bob for the help!

I did check out that other topic. I have ffmpeg and could script something that processed the whole folder to another folder. May try that and see how it does. I have all my original ALAC files backed up 7 ways to Sunday so no problem there.

So, another thought is to revisit why I chose to go from ALAC to AAC. Maybe you have some advice on that. I needed smaller files to put on my iPhone and USB thumb drives to use in various places. I chose AAC over MP3 from reading it was smaller files and better quality. If MP3 files don't have this streaming issue with MOOV atom when processed by Platinum Notes and actually sound just as good as AAC I should start over with ALAC to MP3 with MC, then Platinum Notes for the final processing. Turns out I have plenty of room on my iPhone and with the 64GB thumb drives.
mp3 doesn't have the issue.
A 320kbit mp3 (MC options VBR encoding & extreme) should sound as least good as a 256k mp4 file and will be a similar size.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 04:45:06 pm »

mp3 doesn't have the issue.
A 320kbit mp3 (MC options VBR encoding & extreme) should sound as least good as a 256k mp4 file and will be a similar size.

As a final note. I tried ffmpeg on one of the AAC files. It wouldn't work by overwriting the existing file. The new file it created didn't have all of the tags that the original had. I added the file to MC and tried updating the tags but for some reason it didn't work, as I never saw the tags in the Tag Dump screen. Anyway, the resultant file did play correctly in JRmote, no streaming error.

I kind of doubt that Miked In Key cares about this issue and fixes Platinum Notes so my final decision is to process the ALAC file to MP3 with MC and then Platinum Notes. I should be good to go.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 04:55:09 pm »

As a final note. I tried ffmpeg on one of the AAC files. It wouldn't work by overwriting the existing file. The new file it created didn't have all of the tags that the original had. I added the file to MC and tried updating the tags but for some reason it didn't work, as I never saw the tags in the Tag Dump screen. Anyway, the resultant file did play correctly in JRmote, no streaming error.

I kind of doubt that Miked In Key cares about this issue and fixes Platinum Notes so my final decision is to process the ALAC file to MP3 with MC and then Platinum Notes. I should be good to go.
If you convert the files in MC the tags will be retained in the mp3.
Library->Convert Format

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 05:10:14 pm »

If you convert the files in MC the tags will be retained in the mp3.
Library->Convert Format

yup, already kicked it off. MP3, VBR, Extreme. 2808 files to go on this run. All tags intact. Thanks again for your help, Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up