INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about video in JRiver for Android  (Read 459 times)

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
Questions about video in JRiver for Android
« on: November 01, 2023, 04:27:36 pm »

I just licensed JRiver for Android and am using it on a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, and I intend to use it on a Samsung tablet I'm expecting to receive today. I'm able to load the library from a local Media Server.

1. if I play an MPEG-2 clip (DVR OTA recording), I get audio, but no video. I guess the S22 Ultra does not support MPEG-2 natively. Is there a way to make the Media Server transcode to H264 and/or H265, and if so how ?
I tried to setup an additional DLNA server with conversion, but it doesn't appear there is a way to select it in the Android client.
2. if I play an H264 clip, I get video and audio, but I don't see a way to enable subtitles. Is there one ?
3. if I play an H264 clip, I get video and audio, but I don't see a way to go full screen. The Android system properties (time, alarms, wifi  status, battery, etc) always show up. The buttons at the bottom for "close all" and "back" also show up. Is there a way to disable these ? Other video players (such as the system Samsung video player) allow true full screen mode.
4. I tried setting my phone to 5G and connecting to home via VPN. The client connected to the library server just fine. I selected a 4K H265 video file. The 5G connection in my area was too slow (operator is oversubscribed), topping at about 1.9MByte/s (about 16 Mbps) . My home connection upload speed is 120 Mbps which should be enough for any single piece of content, so it was definitely the 5G limiting. Similar to question 1 above, is there any way to enable transcoding on the server side to reduce the bit rate, and use this with the JRiver Android client, and if so how ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Questions about video in JRiver for Android
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 04:43:57 pm »

Conversion is possible on the server.  Look in the Media Network options.

Full Screen may be Playing Now.

Options may be available with a press and hold.  Or in Settings.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 05:11:52 pm »

Conversion is possible on the server.  Look in the Media Network options.

Thanks. I looked there and I see transcoding options for the server. I can setup multiple DLNA servers that way. The problem is that on the client side, I don't see how to select each one separately. I can only select the library server.
I'll try having a single DLNA server with transcoding and see if that fixes it. But I have other clients that shouldn't have transcoding, so it wouldn't be a solution for all devices. Edit: I couldn't get it to work even that way. It doesn't look like video transcoding is happening on the MC31 server side. It just serves the original content when using the MC for Android client.

Full Screen may be Playing Now.

Sorry, I don't understand. I don't see "Playing Now" in the UI.

Options may be available with a press and hold.  Or in Settings.

Press and hold does not do anything during video playback as far as I can tell.

The only settings when pressing the wheel are "Speed" and "Audio". Nothing about full screen.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 11:41:38 pm »

FYI, the same DVR MPEG-2 video file fails in JRiver for Android on my new Tab S9 Ultra also - same as on the S22 Ultra.
I tried Gizmo as well on both the phone and the tablet. Gizmo crashes on my S22 Ultra phone after connecting to the MC Media Server - every single time on startup after the initial connect attempt, and has to be uninstalled.
On the Tab S9 Ultra tablet, however, Gizmo works, and is even able to play the MPEG-2 1080i video, albeit at reduced quality.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 03:00:19 pm »

On the Tab S9 Ultra tablet, however, Gizmo works, and is even able to play the MPEG-2 1080i video, albeit at reduced quality.

I was able to change the quality setting in Gizmo on the tablet, and the picture is fine now, though I'm now missing the option of subtitles. Is it missing from the Android port ?

I'm still not having any luck with JRiver for Android app on either device with MPEG-2, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up