INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard drive crash and Library backup file  (Read 358 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
Hard drive crash and Library backup file
« on: November 10, 2023, 03:53:35 am »

Hello,
I had a hard drive crash yesterday and on that hard drive I had the flac files and also the backup files. And unfortunately my backup hard drive crashed 2 days earlier and is still not repaired. So I am in deep nuts!
I have all Flac files on another hard drive but all the play lists and settings are gone.

Now here is my question:
I started JRiver in order to find out the filenames (jmd) for the files in the Library backup-zip and noticed that there was a new Library backup zip-file created and located itself in the C:\User\Document\JRiver\Media Center 30\Library Backups folder. My backup folder location was changed to the crashed drive.

So I wonder if this newly created Library backup file is similar to the last backup file that was created before the hard drive crash? With playlists and settings intact? In that case I do not need to find the Library backup files on the crashed hard drive.
JRiver for music

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Re: Hard drive crash and Library backup file
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 07:03:58 am »

If the date looks correct and the library name is the same, I would try to restore it to see what it brings back.  It can't hurt to try a restore.

However based on the date it could be a backup of the new blank database.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 07:07:59 am »

If you had two drives crash on the same machine, it's likely that something is wrong with the machine itself.  Power supply?

Drive crashes seem much more rare than they did 20 years ago.

Captor

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 07:25:15 am »

Jim, it was not on the same machine. One of them was in my media PC and the other in my NAS. However, they are both WD red 6TB and they are bought in the same week I think. Maybe a bad batch? But they were from 2016 and people I talked to says that 7 years is quite normal these day.
JRiver for music

Captor

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 07:30:19 am »

If the date looks correct and the library name is the same, I would try to restore it to see what it brings back.  It can't hurt to try a restore.

However based on the date it could be a backup of the new blank database.
The date is from today (without the crashed hard drive). Last backup that I still not found yet on the crashed hard drive was maybe from 1 week ago. So not same date. But is there a chance that the playlists etc. might still be in this newly backup from today without the hard drive with the music files and also the Library backup files?? In that case it would be a blessing if the Library backup files are destroyed.
JRiver for music

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 07:39:03 am »

Jim, it was not on the same machine. One of them was in my media PC and the other in my NAS. However, they are both WD red 6TB and they are bought in the same week I think. Maybe a bad batch? But they were from 2016 and people I talked to says that 7 years is quite normal these day.
You're correct.  I found this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137366.msg952374.html#msg952374
Pages: [1]   Go Up