INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After the Hard drive crash..  (Read 547 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
After the Hard drive crash..
« on: November 11, 2023, 01:33:13 pm »

After first my backup/NAS hard drive crashed and then 2 days later my media PC hard drive crashed is there a way of extracting the CD artists/titles/songs from somewhere? So that I can load the same CDīs/songs again as I had before the crash? I have all CDīs in a huge database but I have not load in all my CDīs in the MC30 Library. I would like to see a list which ones there was in the Library so I can load those into the Library again.
When I started JRiver yesterday for the first time after the crash, without updating the library, there was a new Library Backup.zip created on the C-drive. Everything look like to be intact since I did not made an Library update. Is it possible to extract the CD titles and songs from there maybe?

Or do I need to do it the hard way, meaning open JRiver and open all artists threes so that I can see the CDīs and scrolling through all the artists/bands in JRiver and making a lot of print screens? Please see picture.

Or maybe I can install a second JRiver and then I can see whats in the old one and then edit in the new one? For example delete some songs I donīt had previous.

I am thinking about how I most easy can do this... Restoring my contents in JRiver as it was before the crash. I am open for other ideaīs also :-)
JRiver for music

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: After the Hard drive crash..
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 02:29:54 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying you lost the audio files but still have them showing up in MC, and you want a full list of names to restore the respective CDs?

If so, you can go to Audio -> Albums in the left tree to see all Albums. You can then switch to Details view to see a text list, and if you like Excel you can do a CTRL+A followed by CTRL+V, then paste the list into Excel.

Captor

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 04:45:22 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying you lost the audio files but still have them showing up in MC, and you want a full list of names to restore the respective CDs?

If so, you can go to Audio -> Albums in the left tree to see all Albums. You can then switch to Details view to see a text list, and if you like Excel you can do a CTRL+A followed by CTRL+V, then paste the list into Excel.
Thank you very much, zybex. Yes that is exactly what I mean. I want to load that certain albums back in to the new hard drive again that I had in Media Center before . But I need to se which they are so I donīt load in other albums that i not want. If I have a list I can easy load that certain albums back in to the new hard drive. And then when that is done I can just restore the Library backup so I get the playlists back. At least that is what I hope is doable. Maybe I am thinking wrong?
JRiver for music

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 04:55:41 pm »

Alright, then you can get that list using Audio -> Albums as I mentioned above. However this will only work if you rip/load the albums to the *exact* same folder/filenames as they were before, which may not be easy if you didn't follow a specific naming convention for all of them.

It may be easier to rip the albums you want into a new folder structure, and then just rebuild/import that folder into MC. You will lose your existing playlists in MC, however.

Captor

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 05:08:19 pm »

Alright, then you can get that list using Audio -> Albums as I mentioned above. However this will only work if you rip/load the albums to the *exact* same folder/filenames as they were before, which may not be easy if you didn't follow a specific naming convention for all of them.

It may be easier to rip the albums you want into a new folder structure, and then just rebuild/import that folder into MC. You will lose your existing playlists in MC, however.
I had a specific naming convention for all my Albums. Either way, I will try what is more easy, it will be a lot of work, I think. I have still not got the new hard drive so I can not try yet.

I actually have another question about this. When having filled up a new folder in the new hard drive then I need to change attribute for all albums. When I load them in they are "read only". Is there a way I can do that for all albums at once when I am finished? For now I have only load in 1 or 2 albums each time so I actually didnīt bather but with maybe more than 1000 albums that is a big job itself. Is there a way to change the attribute in properties in Windows all at once?
JRiver for music

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 02:50:04 am »

Yes, just right-click on the top level folder, select Properties, and uncheck the "read-only" box. It will apply to all subfolders and files inside.

Captor

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 04:03:56 am »

Yes, just right-click on the top level folder, select Properties, and uncheck the "read-only" box. It will apply to all subfolders and files inside.
OK, I have tried that before and did not work when batched several folders together BUT now it is working. Strange! There must have been something else in the system that prevented that from working. Thank you very much! I will try the other suggestions end of this week when hopefully the new hard drive arrived:-)
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up