INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Routing to Virtual Channels of a UAD Apollo Twin.  (Read 2034 times)

Trismos

• Recent member
Routing to Virtual Channels of a UAD Apollo Twin.
« on: November 19, 2023, 12:02:46 am »

I switched Audio Interface lately, moving from a Focusrite 18i20 to an Apollo Twin. Where I had a feature I could use on my 18i20 to have my subs play, I need to be able to route the audio into the virtual channels of the UAD Control software. I can do this with several of my stand alone synths like VCV Rack and Arturia Mod V, but not with Media Center (23) by the looks of it. Is that the case? No routing options?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Routing to Virtual Channels of a UAD Apollo Twin.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 02:23:01 am »

Routing is a question for your audio interface software, MC will just address n contiguous channels based on how you configure it (in DSP studio output format and audio device config channel offset)

It's possible you may need to upgrade as recent versions have better handling of this situation by not coupling the number of audio channels to the mix format.

Trismos

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 10:02:02 am »

Routing is a question for your audio interface software, MC will just address n contiguous channels based on how you configure it (in DSP studio output format and audio device config channel offset)

It's possible you may need to upgrade as recent versions have better handling of this situation by not coupling the number of audio channels to the mix format.

Thanks for the reply.
I will tentatively disagree with the first sentence before the comma. I'll take several examples: Without touching the AI Control software, I can route channels from VCV Rack (stand-alone) into the virtual channels of Control. Same with Arturia Modular V softsynth (also stand-alone but both of these are also VST). Same with Ableton and Reaper. Not so with Media Center 23 (in any obvious manner). I haven't bothered upgrading from 23 because quite frankly 23 is awesome as it is and any of the add-ins that occurred after that never really pushed any buttons for me. I haven't followed along with any recent developments but it occurred to me that MediaCenter must support, say 5.1 or 7.1 and if so, there-in might lie my solution.  Your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 11:00:04 am »

I am just talking in terms of how MC works as opposed to features that would be useful. Here's an example of how it works today

Say you want to route output to channels 1, 4 and 5 on the audio device

You need to set an output format that has at least 5 channels and use https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing to move the content to the target channels

Alternatively say you wanted to send to 4,5 and 6

Now you can set an offset of 3 on the audio output device and open at least a 3 channel output format and again use mix as necessary

Identification of the channel indexes that jriver will use Vs named channels in your interface is left as an exercise for you, jriver does not expose this at all.

Trismos

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 06:25:01 pm »

I am just talking in terms of how MC works as opposed to features that would be useful. Here's an example of how it works today

Say you want to route output to channels 1, 4 and 5 on the audio device

You need to set an output format that has at least 5 channels and use https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing to move the content to the target channels

Alternatively say you wanted to send to 4,5 and 6

Now you can set an offset of 3 on the audio output device and open at least a 3 channel output format and again use mix as necessary

Identification of the channel indexes that jriver will use Vs named channels in your interface is left as an exercise for you, jriver does not expose this at all.

Okeedokee!   Most of that went above my head but obviously there's not a readily do-able solution within the software. Thanks for your replies.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 03:01:33 am »

To be clear, I am saying it is almost certainly possible to achieve what you want (output goes to specific channels)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 07:51:31 am »

Okeedokee!   Most of that went above my head but obviously there's not a readily do-able solution within the software. Thanks for your replies.
Should take you 5 or 10 minutes to do.  It's not complicated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up