INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM driver issue using Realtek [Solved]  (Read 294 times)

Javert

WDM driver issue using Realtek [Solved]
« on: November 29, 2023, 08:21:38 am »

Hello,

I have been a user of JRiver Media Player for some time now, especially its WDM driver feature, and recently swapped from an old PCI-E soundcard to a new motherboard internal soundboard.

Unfortunately, with the same settings as before, the sound now "sizzles" or "stutters", even after changing from the Windows automatically installed Realtek drivers to the ones from the Realtek website, or using the "24 bits into a 32-bit envelope" bitness option, as suggested in other threads.

By chance, however, I discovered a curious fix: when first launching a video in JRiver Media Player before listening to music or anything, the sound then becomes normal for all the Windows session (until the next restart).

Here is a demonstration video: 1. Launching a music file in Foobar2000; 2. Launching a video in JRiver; 3. Re-launching the same music file. (Sorry for the bad screening; holding a smartphone and using a PC at the same time is difficult.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pfK4GAUNck

(I am using JRiver Media Player 30; was this issue by chance fixed in version 31 or 32?)

Best regards.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WDM driver issue using Realtek fixed by launching a video first
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:38:01 am »

That problem is probably on the output side (your sound device).  What are you playing to it?

The wiki topics on WDM and Audio Setup would be worth reading again.  WDM is a sound driver, but in MC you must make sure the audio device is set correctly and works before trying WDM.

Javert

WDM driver issue using Realtek [Solved]
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 10:01:58 am »

Allright, thank you for your answer.

The JRiver MP audio settings were the same as when everything was working like a charm with the previous PCI-E soundcard, but I followed your advise and read the WDM driver page again.

After tests, it turns out the motherboard Realtek soundchip doesn’t “like it” when setting the buffer under 10ms. The previous Soundblaster XFi had no issue with the “minimum” setting. When setting to 10ms everything runs fine.

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WDM driver issue using Realtek [Solved]
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 10:06:37 am »

Thanks for letting us know the solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up