INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View That Gives Information About an Artist  (Read 760 times)

MartinG

• Junior Woodchuck
View That Gives Information About an Artist
« on: November 21, 2023, 02:02:25 am »

I use JRiver in the audio only mode and wonder, that there have been no or only rare changes for many years.
Actually I do miss things that are well known with software like PLEX or ROON, just look at it. One feature that I've been missing for a long time is that, like PLEX, you have a view that gives information about an artist: The most popular hits, all the records in the collection and then music and artists with a similar or comparable style. All related to your own music collection, of course. This makes it fun to navigate through a very extensive music collection. Why doesn't JRiver have something like this?
Or why does the MAC interface still not have the look and feel of a MAC program?
Why are the tools for maintaining the library being still so limited?
e.g. missing is
- the option to generally change upper and lower case letters in the tags
- cut or extend tag texts (numerically, depending on a character, etc.)
- remove nonsensical spaces
- Number titles in the current sort order
- Determine the total number of songs on a CD from the folder structure

Yes, there are some scripts by users available to deal with problems like this, but shouldn't this be integrated features of the software/ the user interface?

I am using JRiver for many, many years and regularly support the team in buying a new license, but actually there have been no optimisations for audio only fans like me for ages. On my music server I still use a version 24 as as none of the following versions have brought any advantage, which is a real pity.

Sorry for my words if they sound a little rude, but I think there is much more that can be optimised than has been discussed here so far.
Thank you for reading.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: View That Gives Information About an Artist
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 06:28:51 am »

Martin,
Look at Spotlight in JRiver.  It should do what you want.

Are you using MC31.0.83?

I'll move this to a new thread since it's mostly Mac specific.

MartinG

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 04:24:28 pm »

Martin,
Look at Spotlight in JRiver.  It should do what you want.

Are you using MC31.0.83?

I'll move this to a new thread since it's mostly Mac specific.

Sorry for the delay in replying to your comment.
Actually I am owner of the master license an use JRiver in several ways. While my music computer is a windows system (as it sounds better), my editing system is a mac... where I use the latest version of release 31. And as I use an iPad to control my music computer, I also use the JRiver remote App.

Thus my wish in a way has to be split into several OS versions of the JRiver surface. E.g. for the remote app I definitely miss a PLEX or ROON like surface, so that it is more handsome to look for similar artists or music in a similar style. Or a nice representation of the artist with information about the band or artist with a list of all tracks or albums in the music collection so that it is more handsome to surf through a music library you have.
For the MAC version - and I think it is the same with the windows version - I miss a couple of editing features, that make it more easy to edit more than one track at a time, as I wrote. In the past I used iTunes and some ad ons to modify the tracks, but Apple stopped supporting iTunes and the new music app just is... well, it has gone worse. And former tools like e.g. tuneinstructor do not work stable anymore. However, if you'll check tuneinstructor it does have a lot of features I am missing with JRiver. Just have a look.

Maybe my suggestions are more understandable now.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 09:31:27 am »

As Jim suggested, you should try Spotlight since it will display much of the information you are looking for.  Click on a track of the artist you are interested in and then click the yellow circle (Spotlight) button at the top of the list next to the Amazon link.  You can also right-click a track and select Spotlight from the context menu.

If you are interested in looking up an artist not in your library, you can type the artist name in the main search bar at the top-right corner of the application and then select Spotlight > Artist Search in the drop-down menu.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

mrboonmee

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 07:49:37 pm »

Agree with OP. I use Windows, Audio Only mode. still the same interface.

I bought my 32 License, happy to support.

Still works well playing my music including DSD etc.

Spotlight needs to be more of a default view maybe?

Pages: [1]   Go Up